Flat surge example at Coachella-ouch!

hanging in there

Monday afternoon I noticed a $10 flat surge around the area north of the fairgrounds, by the freeway.. I called up a quote on the rider app going from there to LAX that showed $945 for an XL ride. Driver would get about $225 + $10 for that 150 mile ride = $235. Uber would get about $710.

I don’t know the rules on when they adjust the flat surge up to a higher amount on a longer ride. I thought I knew the rules but when I took a few they mostly just paid the minimum flat surge, $4 or whatever, even though I was doing longer rides.

2 of my friends wound up doing LAX rides and just got the base fare plus $4 in one case, $8.25 in the other, even though they were in the surge zone at the time, their rides were in the surge zone, and the surge zones were still active.

So, I guess you can’t assume Uber is going to pay you anything more than those pathetic minimum flat surge amounts and that they are going to keep the rest for themselves. In this example, the driver would have gotten around $650 with the old surge vs $235 with the new surge for that same trip, even though the rider is still paying the same high surge price in both cases.

They last 2 screen shots are showing the normal rider prices 2 minutes later when the surge disappeared.

Attachments

touberornottouber

It's total BS. We ought to be spreading the narrative to the media and the customers that "since must of the surge does not go to the drivers, it is a scam on passengers". After all the whole justification for the surge was to pay drivers more to get them to come out and work. It is no longer about that. Instead it is about the company price gouging the customer.

hanging in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's total BS. We ought to be spreading the narrative to the media and the customers that "since must of the surge does not go to the drivers, it is a scam on passengers". After all the whole justification for the surge was to pay drivers more to get them to come out and work. It is no longer about that. Instead it is about the company price gouging the customer.
Right. If all it takes is $10 extra to get a flood of ants, tails a’waggin, then what’s that other stack of hundreds for? No longer falls into their narrative, that’s for sure.

But how many people even remember the original b.s. stories they’ve been fed, let alone question it down the road when it finally gets exposed as a blatant scam?

Uber is a master in the study of human behavior.