• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Flat Rate Experience

Lythium

I don't want theories, conjecture, or rants about how Uber is screwing us all (a big ask, I know). This will be my first weekend driving with the flat rate surge. How has it paid out for you overall? Is it the end of Uber as we know it, have you made your fortune from it and quit rideshare for good, or has it just about evened out?

Lythium

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So last night was actually slightly better than usual! To start off the night I somehow picked up a surge in a place where none was showing on the map, and it stayed with me for about 30 minutes as I drove toward the area where I usually drive. It applied to my first ride which wouldn't normally have had surge attached, so I made a few extra dollars from the beginning.

Even though last night didn't seem any more busy than usual I still came out ahead, and for those of you who were fearing that the flat rate was being used instead of the multiplier (which is funny because even Uber said that the multiplier was still being used for long trips) I can confirm that the multiplier is still in effect. So far so good! Let's see if I can repeat the experience tonight...

UberUber81

Sad to see Uber take away what little reward was left for the hazard pay dealing with obnoxious entitled goons in the evening.
The way I see it going down.
  1. The people with standards move on and stop working the late night.
  2. The weird/questionable driver's will get dinged so hard with false complaints from drunk entitled pricks they will get deactivated.
  3. Uber/Lyft late night in jax will become barren.
Can't wait to log on my app randomly at 1am or 2am to see the shitstorm of demand no one wants to do for a RED $1.75 EXTRA! or maybe it will go up to $2.00!

What a joke.

We went out Saturday night and ordered an Uber, once in the driver's car I canceled the ride on my end and gave the dude $50 cash. @@@@ Uber. I know that the driver was only going to get 1/3 of what was quoted to me. You know what's sad, is that he told me it took him nearly 4 hours to make around $50.

With control of their algorithm, upfront pricing, and these stupid surge rates. This is no longer an opportunity to make as much as you want, you are going to make as much as they want you to make within a given time frame, and the only variance will be from tips which is pretty much nonexistent.

Lythium

I received a flat rate on a from Riverside to the beach on Saturday evening. I think the multiplier would have paid more than $1.75 extra. I was a little disappointed.
I've go to do a little more research into my payout from this weekend. Just glancing at the details I noticed that I had one long trip where I made more than the flat rate, but there was another where I thought I should have made more but didn't. I'll look into it when I have time over the next day or two and post my findings.

Overall though I did better than usual, and part of it I think is getting the flat rate consistently for short trips, and being able to "carry" the surge to trips that normally wouldn't get it. I also noticed that the surge did seem to last longer at the beaches where I was driving, so I got more rides with surge than I normally do.

I get the occasional surge ride that is 20+ minutes, but for the most part they average out shorter than that, so I think having a flat rate more consistently for the short trips, and being able to take extra rides at times when the surge would have already dried up before made it balance out.
Post automatically merged:

Sad to see Uber take away what little reward was left for the hazard pay dealing with obnoxious entitled goons in the evening.
The way I see it going down.
  1. The people with standards move on and stop working the late night.
  2. The weird/questionable driver's will get dinged so hard with false complaints from drunk entitled pricks they will get deactivated.
  3. Uber/Lyft late night in jax will become barren.
Can't wait to log on my app randomly at 1am or 2am to see the shitstorm of demand no one wants to do for a RED $1.75 EXTRA! or maybe it will go up to $2.00!

What a joke.

We went out Saturday night and ordered an Uber, once in the driver's car I canceled the ride on my end and gave the dude $50 cash. @@@@ Uber. I know that the driver was only going to get 1/3 of what was quoted to me. You know what's sad, is that he told me it took him nearly 4 hours to make around $50.

With control of their algorithm, upfront pricing, and these stupid surge rates. This is no longer an opportunity to make as much as you want, you are going to make as much as they want you to make within a given time frame, and the only variance will be from tips which is pretty much nonexistent.
Before the flat rate I was averaging between $20 and $25 per hour driving on Friday and Saturday nights. This weekend I did $26.2 an hour, and $40 of that was in tips (not including cash tips). Of course I want to see if that holds over time, but for the first go with the flat rate I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

Boca Ratman

I have no documentation for what I'm about to say and really wouldn't know what you'd want me to documen anyway but

I drive in two areas, central and South. Sticky surge went into effect last year in the Miami area, Nov or Dec, I don't recall exactly and 3-4 weeks ago in central Atlantic coast area.

what I noticed in S FL when it first came out little pockets of surge would pop up all day long. I'd be driving and a +3.00 cloud would pop up in the middle of a neighborhood. for 2-3 weeks maybe a month. then, nothing or hardly anything.

When sticky surge went live in central, same thing. little pockets all day long all night long. I had through get my plus 3.75. and plus 5.00. I had more surge rides in the first week than in any month 8n the last year excluding st paddy and Nye.

This week, not one surge ride yet.

Either they are fine tuning what sparks a surge OR just kind of giving it away for a few weeks. Either way, you'll see less surge in short time.

Atlwarrior

I don't want theories, conjecture, or rants about how Uber is screwing us all (a big ask, I know). This will be my first weekend driving with the flat rate surge. How has it paid out for you overall? Is it the end of Uber as we know it, have you made your fortune from it and quit rideshare for good, or has it just about evened out?
Uber is still collecting from the multiplier rate, while only giving drivers an extra few dollars. Check out what pax are paying next time you see the dollar amount appear on the screen. I sure pax don't know they are being ripped off. They still think most of the fare go to the drivers. I don't do the dinner or club crowd any longer. You could always depend on a good surge. I will not be doing College football games no longer either.

negeorgia

Unfortunately we are stuck with theories.

Some long trips pay more than sticky surge. Some don't.

Some short trips pay more than sticky surge when pax pay an inflated price. Some don't.

So far, I have done better, because I drive to the higher number, ignoring pings until I get there. I wasn't in a market with high surge, long trips anyways.

In my opinion.... Sticky surge is a pickup bonus on the next ping... Nothing to do with the trip itself.

Lythium

Unfortunately we are stuck with theories.

So far, I have done better, because I drive to the higher number, ignoring pings until I get there. I wasn't in a market with high surge, long trips anyways.
This is what I was referring to. I've seen the same thing with sticky surges and the occasional multiplier, and have heard a million theories on each. What I want to know is if, on average, drivers are making more, making less, or breaking even since the flat rate started. Two weeks into it and I seem to be doing better than I did before.

Uber is still collecting from the multiplier rate, while only giving drivers an extra few dollars. Check out what pax are paying next time you see the dollar amount appear on the screen. I sure pax don't know they are being ripped off. They still think most of the fare go to the drivers. I don't do the dinner or club crowd any longer. You could always depend on a good surge. I will not be doing College football games no longer either.
But overall, are you doing better or worse?

I have no documentation for what I'm about to say and really wouldn't know what you'd want me to documen anyway but

I drive in two areas, central and South. Sticky surge went into effect last year in the Miami area, Nov or Dec, I don't recall exactly and 3-4 weeks ago in central Atlantic coast area.

what I noticed in S FL when it first came out little pockets of surge would pop up all day long. I'd be driving and a +3.00 cloud would pop up in the middle of a neighborhood. for 2-3 weeks maybe a month. then, nothing or hardly anything.

When sticky surge went live in central, same thing. little pockets all day long all night long. I had through get my plus 3.75. and plus 5.00. I had more surge rides in the first week than in any month 8n the last year excluding st paddy and Nye.

This week, not one surge ride yet.

Either they are fine tuning what sparks a surge OR just kind of giving it away for a few weeks. Either way, you'll see less surge in short time.
We're only two weeks in, so we'll see how it goes over time. I'm sure if it does start to benefit the drivers too much they'll find a way to get their cut!

Last edited:

Boca Ratman

We're only two weeks in, so we'll see how it goes over time. I'm sure if it does start to benefit the drivers too much they'll find a way to get their cut!
my opinion is that its intentional. kind of like how a crack dealer gives the first few rocks away for free.

HeyJoe

It blows. Plain and simple. Adding a specific amount to a fair is stupid. And I've never been one to dump on UBER but this takes the cake.

jaxbeachrides

It effectively kills the business model for drivers which is exactly what it is intended to do.

Drivers lose money because of low rates, but more importantly uber and lyft investors have been losing money since day one. This is money that was already earmarked for nicer homes and country club memberships. They only need to buy collectable cars now since they can use yours for transportation and not have to pay taxi or limousine rates to a professional driver.

Since uber has taken away surge lyft will now follow, which we already know it was the only way to ever make any money.

One of the last dropoffs I made was to walmart and I was saying man I wish they paid everyone better. The walmart dudes were like we get 12 an hour now everyone got raises.

Uber and lyft now going public pretty much seals the deal on anyone ever making a fair hourly wage on average, after expenses ever again.

UberUber81

Got a sticky surge ride. Feels lackluster. Given how red the map was with demand, I feel short changed big time. Only an extra $2.00...
Given the amount of demand and how red the map was and how big the red spot was, I feel like it would have been around 2x surge or higher and I would have made more money then only an extra $2.00.