first timer advice

aarona3184

Is there a way of knowing the destination of the rider(s) prior to accepting the pick up or starting the trip? Last night was my first time being a driver, and i drove someone 2 hours, to a remote destination.

TheWanderer

Nope. Uber does this to prevent us from not taking rides that are not profitable.
If you do not start the trip you can ask them casually where they are going or if you did start the ride, swipe to end the ride, and it should give you a cancellation menu, then i click on do not charge pax.
It is ok to cancel.

unPat

If it’s a longer ride, it will tell you 45+ minutes longer ride when you get the ping . So don’t accept those

SuzeCB

Never accept these. Dead miles will punish you.
Depends on exactly where the destination is, and how much time you have.

If it's to the middle of nowhere, or a slow time of day for that area and the whole route back, then yeah, it's not as profitable.

But if you can set a destination filter, and set your GPS to find your way back home using a route that will avoid tolls and freeways, you can find one or more trips along the way to offset or nearly eliminate those dead miles.

If the destination is one that is busy and you can work it a bit and learn about it before heading back, even better.

It has been my experience that USUALLY, but by no means always, even without DF, if Uber brings you a long way from your home area, it will also bring you back.

Every so often I do the "feather in the wind" thing, and that's what happens.

Other times, I will purposely ho somewhere to work, and Uber gives me rides back home before I wabt to go! Go figure.

Uncle TBRONE

Depends on exactly where the destination is, and how much time you have.

If it's to the middle of nowhere, or a slow time of day for that area and the whole route back, then yeah, it's not as profitable.

But if you can set a destination filter, and set your GPS to find your way back home using a route that will avoid tolls and freeways, you can find one or more trips along the way to offset or nearly eliminate those dead miles.

If the destination is one that is busy and you can work it a bit and learn about it before heading back, even better.

It has been my experience that USUALLY, but by no means always, even without DF, if Uber brings you a long way from your home area, it will also bring you back.

Every so often I do the "feather in the wind" thing, and that's what happens.

Other times, I will purposely ho somewhere to work, and Uber gives me rides back home before I wabt to go! Go figure.
I am also a NuB and I am learning quite a bit from this forum. Thanks for answering our questions with tact, although some questions may be silly and need to be answered as such.

SuzeCB

No, I'm pretty sure the uber TOS says we can do it.
No, it tells the passengers that it mught happen to them. It tells US that only Uber can negotiate prices with the passenger, and that making any sort of cash deal for the ride already agreed upon is a violation of the Uber/Driver agreement.

Holding out for an OFFER of a tip, by the passenger, for something extra like a stop, is different.

surlywynch

Quoted from: For Riders > A guide to Uber> "You may also pay an additional charge to your driver for other costs or inconveniences, such as a parking fee to enter a venue or a long return trip after arrival at your final destination."

Coachman

No, it tells the passengers that it mught happen to them. It tells US that only Uber can negotiate prices with the passenger, and that making any sort of cash deal for the ride already agreed upon is a violation of the Uber/Driver agreement.

Holding out for an OFFER of a tip, by the passenger, for something extra like a stop, is different.

That's not what the contract used to say. It used to be pretty clear that the rate for a ride was negotiable. Uber is just the technology middle man. You're the transportation expert and the owner of your independent business. But try explaining that to most passengers.

SuzeCB

Quoted from: For Riders > A guide to Uber> "You may also pay an additional charge to your driver for other costs or inconveniences, such as a parking fee to enter a venue or a long return trip after arrival at your final destination."
Screenshot_20170925-211856.jpg