• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

First Time OUt

BMXdad

Someone, please help. I used google maps and when I went to pick up my passenger pop up ads or even banners were covering the area to start the trip. During the trip it kept trying to reroute the trip and it even blocked the area to end the trip. I never saw this happen when I rode with people. Thankfully I had a great passenger.

I started about 4 weeks ago. I have always used the partner apps gps. Never had an issue. In over 200 trips. I found the forum last week so I didn't see anybody saying to use others. It works for me. I stay south of the frankland and north of the skyway. Kinda just threw myself into it with watching a video on YouTube. I understand it's not a get rich quick scheme and it's just a little extra cash for me before I go on my vacation with the wife in September as I'm a stay at home dad with 4 boys. I only do it 1-2 days a week, although I did do 3-4 my first 2 weeks and made a decent amount. $425 (my take home) and $100 in tips that week. That was in under 23 hrs. I do drive a minivan so I get XL fares. I'm sitting at a 4.76 rating with 215 trips 90 rated, with 79 of them being 5 stars. Most of the lower stars I attribute to the drinkers that are usually pissed when I won't allow an open container in my vechicle and they argue with me and tell me how the other driver let them. I don't care what someone else did. It's not gonna happen in my car. Or the occasional group that got mad that they can't fit 7-9 passengers when I have a minivan. I have room for 6 passengers that's what I will take. That's what Xl calls for and I'm not going to put more then I have seat belts for. I have a 4% cancellation rate and a 100% acceptance rate (I'm a @@@@@ for rides) I take anything it seems to work fine my way I make my $100 and call it a night. Usually work from 7-1am and doing that I can make $100 no problem. Hell yesterday was great. I made $50 in 2 hours and only took 6 trips and drove about 50 miles. Worked 5:30 to 8 and was home to enjoy the night with my wife on her day off. I was happy with the 50 and did not feel with being with the drunks this weekend so it all worked out for me. Good luck bud.

Reactions: DAG

BMXdad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you so much for your reply. The app and navigation was such a hassle and no wonder I hesitated going online. The passengers and conversation were awesome, I love people, the good, bad and ugly. I will try the Uber navigation, you are the first I have read that actually uses their app. I watched so many videos and it seemed like everything that could go wrong with the pickup did (start bar not showing up, end trip bar etc. ) You are making good money for the times you are out. Keep up the great job.

Steve B..

Someone, please help. I used google maps and when I went to pick up my passenger pop up ads or even banners were covering the area to start the trip. During the trip it kept trying to reroute the trip and it even blocked the area to end the trip. I never saw this happen when I rode with people. Thankfully I had a great passenger.
The start bar and the end trip bar are only visible in the Uber app, not in Google Maps. If you have the Uber app set to use google maps and use the navigate button from the Uber app then you should automatically return to the Uber app as you pull up to your destination. If it doesn't just touch the Uber icon to g0 back to the Uber app.

I also use Google maps but find the Uber app does a better job guiding for the last few feet. When I make my final turn I hit the back button twice on Google maps so that it closes and returns me to the Uber app.

Linesider

I use the Uber in app navigation. It's simple and easy, but doesn't provide the best route.

For the quickest route I use Waze. It does a better job with efficient routing and traffic notification. Also shows police speed traps.

Bean

You should have any apps open while driving that feature pop-up ads. Uber's apps, Google Maps certainly don't have any. I'm assuming Waze does not either.
I'd suggest figuring out what on your phone is causing those and remove it.

BMXdad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you everyone for reading and responding to my post. I appreciate it. If anyone logs back on here wondering if you use a vent mounted or window mounted holder for the phone? I use a vent currently but find it blocks the air quite a bit.

Yeah I use a vent too, I have an iPhone 7 and it gets extremely hot. With my caravan I have duel climate zones so I'm able to put it up a little bit and close the vent so it doesn't get too cold on the back of the phone. It does block the PAX ac in the front so if I have an xl fare that needs the front I just take it down so they can have the vent, although I usually do nights and it's never an issue as my ac gets the car freezing and it's never been an issue. My fares always say how nice it feels inside. I drive with my ac on all the time. If I'm gonna drive around I'm gonna be comfortable and I'm gonna make sure the PAX are too. It's not like it saves me much fuel in my beast anyways. Lol. I just don't like anything on my windshield or dash either so that was another reason I went with the vent holder.

Mars Troll Number 4

I started about 4 weeks ago. I have always used the partner apps gps. Never had an issue. In over 200 trips. I found the forum last week so I didn't see anybody saying to use others. It works for me. I stay south of the frankland and north of the skyway. Kinda just threw myself into it with watching a video on YouTube. I understand it's not a get rich quick scheme and it's just a little extra cash for me before I go on my vacation with the wife in September as I'm a stay at home dad with 4 boys. I only do it 1-2 days a week, although I did do 3-4 my first 2 weeks and made a decent amount. $425 (my take home) and $100 in tips that week. That was in under 23 hrs. I do drive a minivan so I get XL fares. I'm sitting at a 4.76 rating with 215 trips 90 rated, with 79 of them being 5 stars. Most of the lower stars I attribute to the drinkers that are usually pissed when I won't allow an open container in my vechicle and they argue with me and tell me how the other driver let them. I don't care what someone else did. It's not gonna happen in my car. Or the occasional group that got mad that they can't fit 7-9 passengers when I have a minivan. I have room for 6 passengers that's what I will take. That's what Xl calls for and I'm not going to put more then I have seat belts for. I have a 4% cancellation rate and a 100% acceptance rate (I'm a ***** for rides) I take anything it seems to work fine my way I make my $100 and call it a night. Usually work from 7-1am and doing that I can make $100 no problem. Hell yesterday was great. I made $50 in 2 hours and only took 6 trips and drove about 50 miles. Worked 5:30 to 8 and was home to enjoy the night with my wife on her day off. I was happy with the 50 and did not feel with being with the drunks this weekend so it all worked out for me. Good luck bud.
There's an arbitrary limit.. you need a CDL for over 7 people btw..

Thank you everyone for reading and responding to my post. I appreciate it. If anyone logs back on here wondering if you use a vent mounted or window mounted holder for the phone? I use a vent currently but find it blocks the air quite a bit.
I used a cup holder that slides into the door window as my phone holder. They are four for $3 at Wal-Mart. You may have to adapt it by breaking off some plastic for a better view of the screen but it is easy to do.

louvit

My son got me this one and it has actually been stuck to the dash for 2 months now, the suction cup is sticky and you just put your phone in it and it snaps automatically to lock the phone in....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WW787XT/?tag=ubne0c-20