first time I paid attention to the fare break downs... Uber is definitely ripping everyone off.

Djmalsidious

After my catastrophic yesterday of 11 trips for $60 ( including tips) I wondered if my pay was off. Decided to check and noticed this gem..

uber rip off.jpg

Djmalsidious

Pax was drunk and put in the wrong address. Normally I'd cancel right away.. but considering how long it took me to get the last trip for the 20 quest for $60.... (over an hour) was at the @@@@ it, i'll do whatever so I can finish this and go home.

Whatevs

Pfffft...thats nothing. I have had rides where I was paid $16 bucks and Uber made $29.

Djmalsidious

Pfffft...thats nothing. I have had rides where I was paid $16 bucks and Uber made $29.

I just got a response from uber:

Thanks for reaching out, Ryan.

Service Fees are not a set percentage. The service fee is the difference between the rider’s fare and the partner’s earnings.

Uber will estimate the length of each trip and generate an upfront fare for the rider before the trip starts. If the trip price is more than the base + time + distance (+ surge), Uber will collect the difference. And when the price of the trip is less than the base + time + distance, Uber will cover the cost. The driver will always make the same rates, independent of the price estimate.

Partner's earnings will always be calculated using base fare+time+distance. The service fee amount can vary based on the upfront fare charged to the rider.

There are times when what a rider pays may be higher or lower than what you earn for a trip. Our goal is to keep driver rates consistent, while allowing us to offer new options for riders like flat fares and subscriptions.

For full information on your trip breakdown, including what the rider paid and what Uber received, tap “Fare Details” on your trip receipt.

You can find an explanation of the Service Fee in your Financial Terms Addendum. To view this document, please log in to your partner dashboard, and click on "Profile" at the top right corner of the screen.

Hope this clarifies!

Pooooobear

I just got a response from uber:

Thanks for reaching out, Ryan.

Service Fees are not a set percentage. The service fee is the difference between the rider’s fare and the partner’s earnings.

Uber will estimate the length of each trip and generate an upfront fare for the rider before the trip starts. If the trip price is more than the base + time + distance (+ surge), Uber will collect the difference. And when the price of the trip is less than the base + time + distance, Uber will cover the cost. The driver will always make the same rates, independent of the price estimate.

Partner's earnings will always be calculated using base fare+time+distance. The service fee amount can vary based on the upfront fare charged to the rider.

There are times when what a rider pays may be higher or lower than what you earn for a trip. Our goal is to keep driver rates consistent, while allowing us to offer new options for riders like flat fares and subscriptions.

For full information on your trip breakdown, including what the rider paid and what Uber received, tap “Fare Details” on your trip receipt.

You can find an explanation of the Service Fee in your Financial Terms Addendum. To view this document, please log in to your partner dashboard, and click on "Profile" at the top right corner of the screen.

Hope this clarifies!
Did this clarify it for you? LOL
I'm positive Uber makes millions extra in the Chicago market alone by playing this game. What was wrong with the way they charged rider before this scheme? Rider pays based on distance and time; Uber gets 20-25% and driver keeps the rest. But, no way that was enough for Mr. Greedy Uber! In return we got 180 days of change BS to blind you a little.

S_hicago

On short trips we always knew this to be true. Quick napkin math (without bothering to look up any of the rates, just going off memory) says you need about a 3 mile ride to eclipse what uber takes in fees from the rider. Not necessarily what uber gets, this includes what they pay the city and so-forth.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's been known for quite a while. Ask anyone who made the $1.80 minimum fare (or whatever it currently is) for one of those 2 block @@@@ing trips.

Djmalsidious

Did this clarify it for you? LOL
I'm positive Uber makes millions extra in the Chicago market alone by playing this game. What was wrong with the way they charged rider before this scheme? Rider pays based on distance and time; Uber gets 20-25% and driver keeps the rest. But, no way that was enough for Mr. Greedy Uber! In return we got 180 days of change BS to blind you a little.

Does lyft have the same deceptive pricing model that screws the drivers over? I have an account with them but don't use it, if rarely.

Disgusted Driver

My understanding from my pax is that Lyft still just provides pax with an estimate and then charges actual minutes and miles.

Mad Medic

Pax was drunk and put in the wrong address. Normally I'd cancel right away.. but considering how long it took me to get the last trip for the 20 quest for $60.... (over an hour) was at the &%[email protected]!* it, i'll do whatever so I can finish this and go home.
Quest ugggh - just pissed me off, getting pings all freakin night left and right until drop off a pax at 338 am, in a boost zone where rides were plentiful.

Had only 1 ride left to get $45 quest at 338am then suddenly the app goes quiet. At 4am exactly the quest 24/ 25 disappeared and at 401am got a ping. Accepted, thinking it may have counted. Them bastards.

Then all of a sudden at 401am the pings kept coming with each pax drop off.

They also really should count the 2nd pick up on a pool request towards quest.

I only took the pool because I was 2 away from reaching quest and it was also surging at 3.1 and then got the ping to pick up 2nd pax.

I've accepted Pool before in the suburbs because never a 2nd rider added but havent accepted in the city until last night.

Weird, as soon as pick up of 2nd pax all Navigation was lost, just had a screen the entire trip saying Nav Error and then after dropping off both riders, earnings weren't calculated for that trip for over 45 minutes, just kept saying "processing"

I dont really know how we get paid when a 2nd rider gets added that we pick up a half mile away from the 1st but when I looked at my payment details it showed a rider 1 and a rider 2 BUT didnt really seem to pay me more than a buck over what the fare for only 1 rider would have been. Prob my own fault thinking an added rider would pay almost as much as if I had 2 trips with surge. I got $12 and some change to pick up 2 different riders at 2 diff locations and drop off at 2 diff locations and that was with 3.1 surge. WTF?