First Time Driving - Rates?

Daniel Lion

Hello Uberers! New driver here. I drove for the first time last night for about 2 hours to get familiar with the app and the process. I made about $14/ hour which isn't bad IMO considering this is a weekend/ extra money gig for me.

My question though is about the current rates payed out to drivers. Everything I can find on this forum and on other sites has the fares broken down like this:
  • Base Fare: $1.50. Per Minute: $0.13. Per Mile: $1.05.
When I did the math, it looks like my payout was this
  • Base Fare is $1.13. Per Minute:$0.10. Per Mile: $0.83.

Was there a recent drop in fares again or is it because I am a new driver that Uber takes a bigger cut? Just wondering if this is the normal rate or what?

Also, does Lyft get much action here in Gainesville?

parttime uber

You are right this is not a very active site. I have been driving part time for the last year. Your rates are correct. They have not dropped the rates since I have been driving. I just Uber Friday and Saturday nights for extra cash, even if there is no surge you will still stay busy. I don't know how the guys and gals that Uber fulltime during the work week do it. I have tried Ubering during the week after I get off from my regular job. Waste of time, I mostly sit around and maybe make $10 an hour before expenses. I could get a part time job at Target and make that with no expenses. Check the Uber rider app and there are uber cars all around me no matter were I am, during the work week. But, they are the real pros so they most likely know some tricks I don't. Stick to the weekends, and get a regular job during the week. You will come out ahead.

Daniel Lion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are right this is not a very active site. I have been driving part time for the last year. Your rates are correct. They have not dropped the rates since I have been driving. I just Uber Friday and Saturday nights for extra cash, even if there is no surge you will still stay busy. I don't know how the guys and gals that Uber fulltime during the work week do it. I have tried Ubering during the week after I get off from my regular job. Waste of time, I mostly sit around and maybe make $10 an hour before expenses. I could get a part time job at Target and make that with no expenses. Check the Uber rider app and there are uber cars all around me no matter were I am, during the work week. But, they are the real pros so they most likely know some tricks I don't. Stick to the weekends, and get a regular job during the week. You will come out ahead.
Yeah, I agree. I am just planning on Ubering Fri and Sat as well as I already have a 50+ hour full time job during the week. Thanks for the reply!

Ricky Bell

Not driving yet but would like to know what or how to change my driving area. They now have me in the Gainsville area which is 50 miles from me. I would like the Villages area, can you help?

2Cents

Hello Uberers! New driver here. I drove for the first time last night for about 2 hours to get familiar with the app and the process. I made about $14/ hour which isn't bad IMO considering this is a weekend/ extra money gig for me.

My question though is about the current rates payed out to drivers. Everything I can find on this forum and on other sites has the fares broken down like this:
  • Base Fare: $1.50. Per Minute: $0.13. Per Mile: $1.05.
When I did the math, it looks like my payout was this
  • Base Fare is $1.13. Per Minute:$0.10. Per Mile: $0.83.

Was there a recent drop in fares again or is it because I am a new driver that Uber takes a bigger cut? Just wondering if this is the normal rate or what?

Also, does Lyft get much action here in Gainesville?
You're probably at the 28% rate based on when you signed up.