• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

First Day as Rideshare Driver....

KC7NEC

Hello, First off I should state that I have a regular fulltime job and just picking up Uber for something to do and some extra change. I also like getting to meet people and help get them where they need to go.

Yesterday was my first day and it went well. I started in WVC with a few short runs then a hop to the airport. At the Airport I got a rematch to a lady for PC and spent an hour more up there before coming back down with no fare to SLC.

I only drove for 4 hours total and hit $80 so for me that was a great start. Im planning to hit a couple hours after work most days and then Saturday night.

So far seems good and looking forward to learning more.

DriverMark

$20 an hour is good on a typical day. Park city run helped with that. Just don't get your expectations that you will make that every day. You might wallow in$10 or less an hour on some days.

4 Jazz home games coming up starting tonight.....

dlearl476

Hello, First off I should state that I have a regular fulltime job and just picking up Uber for something to do and some extra change. I also like getting to meet people and help get them where they need to go.

Yesterday was my first day and it went well. I started in WVC with a few short runs then a hop to the airport. At the Airport I got a rematch to a lady for PC and spent an hour more up there before coming back down with no fare to SLC.

I only drove for 4 hours total and hit $80 so for me that was a great start. Im planning to hit a couple hours after work most days and then Saturday night.

So far seems good and looking forward to learning more.
In my time driving PC, the only time that works during the week is from when the hill closed to when folks get back from dinner ~8:00. The time to be there is Friday evening/night and Saturday and Sunday. And the film festival and/or World Cup, if they have one this year.

I once did 4 airport runs on one Sunday up there. One down, one back, another one down, then a final one down after I drove back up empty because it was so busy up there.

dlearl476

World Cup is every 4 years. Next one is in Qatar in 2022..... but it's going to be Nov/Dec I think to try to offset the heat some.
Skiing World cup. They have it every year, but PC doesn't have an event every year. They switch around between Vail, PC, Sun Valley Jackson, etc.

KC7NEC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know that it is only 4 days in but wanted to share what I have so far... I'll share the dashboard link after its done and I have a full month behind me:

dlearl476

I know that it is only 4 days in but wanted to share what I have so far... I'll share the dashboard link after its done and I have a full month behind me:

Nice

I guess that's the new RideShare app? This is what the EATS app looks like.

image.jpeg

You click on the total and "show all trips" comes up

image.jpeg

It was slow, I double dipped between UE & GH 11:30-2:00.

Those are some good "Attaboys" in the lower right corner, I like that. Another data point I like to track is the one in the upper right. Driving UE and GH since the first if the year, I'm doing between $1.75-$2.00/mile.

And remember, come tax time, Uncle Sam gives you a 54¢/mile "tip." If you're not tracking your mileage outside your apps, like, say, with your odometer, you should. Every two miles they miss is a dollar you lost.

dlearl476

No, This is a custom database tool I use for a variety of things. I built a dashboard for my Daily Uber stats.
Damn, son. You oughta be marketing that app! As someone who needs adult supervision* to reformat a jpg to pdf, I salute you! :p

*And by "adult supervision" of course I mean someone under 30. :biggrin:

losiglow

Welcome to the crew. Although additional drivers are competition, as a part timer myself, I always welcome them. The big tip I have is to remember to run Uber like a business. Keep track of expenses such as fuel, maintenance, repair, tires, etc. I track it all on a spreadsheet so I can know how much I'm really making. I even factor in depreciation occasionally based on mileage with the NADA website.

The reason I say that is because many don't keep track of all that and find that they're not making what they hoped. I've done Uber for 2.5 years and still going but I have a very clear understanding of what I make vs. what I thought I was making. We tend to keep track of what we make but not what we spend. Profit is earnings vs. expenses of course. Every legitimate business keeps track of both or they'll end up in the hole. I've always suggested that every Uber driver do this because if you're not making what you want, you may want to consider a different line of work.

I don't say this to dissuade drivers. I say it because Uber is fully aware that many drivers expenses are high and that if they knew what they were really spending, they might not be driving. I do an occasional airport run on weekday mornings and drive weekend nights. Those end up being profitable enough for me. Gross pay is good. Yeah, $20 an hour or so. I can take home $400 on a weekend easy. Buuuuuut….~$70 on gas per weekend (3.5L 300hp V6 doesn't get the best mileage.....), $60 (on average) of parts, cleaners, car washes, etc. per month, prorating tires @ $800 per year ($66 per month), depreciation (hard to calculate but has been around $1K per year when excluding use of the car for personal stuff. All in all, my $20 per hour turns into about $15 an hour.

Still worth it for me because I enjoy driving and people. If I didn't? No way I'd waste my weekends and get up early on weekdays for $15 an hour.

DriverMark

Skiing World cup. They have it every year, but PC doesn't have an event every year. They switch around between Vail, PC, Sun Valley Jackson, etc.
LOL .... yea that "Skiing World Cup" thing gets me! Being a soccer guy when I first heard it didn't know what people were talking about. Something new learned as I continue becoming a Utahan.

KC7NEC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a bit of a hiccup so haven't driven for a month. I had my Oregon DL still and I guess that was a no-no so I had to send for a new birth certificate, and go take the test today so hopefully will be back driving Uber soon. I also will be doing Lyft now as well.

I have been doing Postmates a bit and it has been decent but its very hit or miss.

TeleSki

Have you seen the forum Jetcareers.com? It's similar to this platform, but is all about aviation careers,etc. A lot of good info there, but also like uberpeople, much of the info has to be taken with a grain of salt.