1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

First couple of nights :)

Discussion in 'Brisbane' started by apeman, Sep 11, 2015.

1. apeman

apeman Member

hey all,

I thought id post up my experience as a newbie

im a uni student studying full-time and thought id give this a go after seeing a few mates trip summaries and their spreadsheets

bought an 'Uber' car through the auctions, 7k for a 2010 Tiida with 80k.

I'm doing friday and saturday nights maybe the odd sunday if I need some extra cash.

So far i reckon im looking at $20-25 an hour net to me after fuel, rego, insurance and depreciation, I doubt i'll break the tax free threshold so not many tax benefits for me.

I should reiterate if you have another job you will need to deduct tax from that, just because its my only source of income I wont break the $18k tax free threshold so don't have to deduct anything.

It isnt the greatest money for ****ty hours and carry a fair bit of risk with doing it but the flexibility is great, i can fit it around my study which changes every semester and I dont have any boss to worry about.

You could make more working at bunnings or kmart on the weekend if you want some extra cash but then be tied in to a regular job, horses for courses i suppose

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Instyle

Instyle Moderator Moderator

Noticed you didn't mention anything of GST, did Uber instruct you of the GST requirements when signing up?

3. apeman

apeman Member

Uber didnt tell me about GST, they didnt tell me anything,

I sat in the room with a bunch of africans whilst they went through a 10? slide powerpoint that basically told me I was going to make $75ph, told me if I worked 20 hours on the weekend in peak times id take home $1500. Most of the africans didnt speak english well, and I doubt they had ABNs nor had any concept of what they were doing.

Luckily I knew about the ATO's directive about 1 August from friends,

I already did monthly BAS's before going back to uni so no drama for me with the GST, but i'd dare say when the ATO audit Uberers itll be interesting

But ur right I should've noted as a warning to others where your 'income' slowly gets eroded being deemed GST inclusive.

even their 'guarantees' are less the 20% so '$40' is actually 32 - less ur expenses

definitely not for everyone, could quite easily be a disaster for some,

Money's not great (terrible if you are working another job), risk is fairly high, but flexibility is amazing

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    chi1cabby likes this.
  4. UBERxGc

UBERxGc Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    By the way, the first couple of nights are always the best, then it will only go downhill from their. Similar to a typical marriage but a lot worse.

g00r likes this.
  5. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't do weekdays, my earnings are down at $11 per hour Gross so I have stopped driving weekdays. I have not done a weekend in a while but heard a friend did nearly $40 an hour Gross Saturday.
    Recalculate. $40 is actually $28 - less expenses, you need to subtract 30% off the top for GST and Uber.
    I wonder how many drivers are going to get scooped up in the ATO audit?:eek::eek::eek:

6. Instyle

Instyle Moderator Moderator

Brisbane driver numbers are higher than before the GST deadline, makes no sense! Plus these cheeky bastards not mentioning the requirement for GST registration.

Setting themselves up for disaster really, in 3-6 months or after concentrated GST compliance many drivers will have a large bill that they haven't accounted for. Proper ATO compliance will see hundreds of drivers drop off and turn them against Uber.