Fired!

JPaiva

Amazon
Post automatically merged:

I have taken sever so called service dogs. If they don't have a dog blanket with them I have one in trunk .if the make a mess in my car. I claim cleaning fee. If you car is to good to take a dog. You shouldn't be using it for Uber.
Unfortunately service animals are cleaning fee exempt per uber TOS. Look it up. If its too much of a challenge to avoid posting clearly inaccurate information you shouldn't be using the forum. Damn, wouldn't that be nice? Oh, and I have a nice car and a spoiled dog. He doesnt get to ride. Neither do fake service dogs, even if it entails sitting there until the police show up to take a report. They request another driver- you let that driver know the police are enroute to address the fake service dogs. Now you have drivers piling up each as a witness to fake service animals and a police report. Eventually the pax will learn when they get sued. You can sue the pax, just not uber.

Interesting, you mention some legality but do not support it with even a mention on what the law might be.

Do tell.

Very intrigued

Here you go-

Many states have enacted civil penalties for attempting use of fake service animals. A quick google search will show which states currently have statutes. You can sue a pax if you are removed from the platform for refusing service to someone with an animal falsely claimed to be for service. But it will require a police report. You will not get support from Uber, but the pax can be held liable for loss of income due to defamation of character and false reports.

Last edited:

SuzeCB

Interesting, you mention some legality but do not support it with even a mention on what the law might be.

Do tell.

Very intrigued.
The ADA.

It's illegal to make someone with a service animal notify about the animal in advance. This is mostly to prevent pre-emptive discrimination. The only time it might be appropriate is if some sort of unusual accommodation might be necessary... for example, a person in a wheelchair might have to check on elevators being available.

If they're not making someone with a prosthetic limb, or wearing eyeglasses, or using a cane announce these pieces of equipment, you can't do it for a service animal (not to be confused with a therapy animal or emotional support animal).

JPaiva

mo
The ADA.

It's illegal to make someone with a service animal notify about the animal in advance. This is mostly to prevent pre-emptive discrimination. The only time it might be appropriate is if some sort of unusual accommodation might be necessary... for example, a person in a wheelchair might have to check on elevators being available.

If they're not making someone with a prosthetic limb, or wearing eyeglasses, or using a cane announce these pieces of equipment, you can't do it for a service animal (not to be confused with a therapy animal or emotional support animal).
Eyeglasses, false limbs and canes dont bite, defecate in my car, tear up my leather and shed everywhere.
Literally every person I know with a legitimate service animal is happy to provide the common courtesy of notifying everyone they have a service animal ahead of time. And if they are ever questioned, provide a level headed and respectable response. They are happy to brag about what the dog does. However, 100% of people I've encountered that try to be sneaky, dont tell you, or get bent about you questioning what their 2 chihuahuas are trained to do(only 2 questions you are allowed to ask) are playing you and guaranteed DO NOT have a legitimate service animal.

mo
Eyeglasses, false limbs and canes dont bite, defecate in my car, tear up my leather and shed everywhere.
Literally every person I know with a legitimate service animal is happy to provide the common courtesy of notifying everyone they have a service animal ahead of time. And if they are ever questioned, provide a level headed and respectable response. They are happy to brag about what the dog does. However, 100% of people I've encountered that try to be sneaky, dont tell you, or get bent about you questioning what their 2 chihuahuas are trained to do(only 2 questions you are allowed to ask) are playing you and guaranteed DO NOT have a legitimate service animal.

Wildgoose

I hate those who are taking advantages of ADA and faking their dogs as a service dog.
But the question is who is going to catch them faking that? Can I stop next to police car and claim that riders is committing a crime? If I could, I would definitely do that.

JPaiva

I hate those who are taking advantages of ADA and faking their dogs as a service dog.
But the question is who is going to catch them faking that? Can I stop next to police car and claim that riders is committing a crime? If I could, I would definitely do that.
No, you cancel the ride and call the police. The pax will be standing there waiting on another driver. Is a crap shoot which shows up 1st. But I guarantee if a 2nd driver shows up, I'm telling them the police are on the way, that I just canceled on this a**hole with fake service dogs. Have them cancel amd wait for the police. Same if a 3rd or 4th driver shows up. Everyone on the police report can sue for damages if deactivated because of this pax. The only way to get the pax info is by involving the police. Then its off to small claims court.

Jon Stoppable

Dogs do not like bears (the feeling is mutual). They will bark and bark and bark at a bear. So, bear's advice is to be a bear, then the rider will have to cancel because his dogs will not get in your car. Unless they are hunting dogs, in which case you'll have to kill them.

Amos69

The ADA.

Well that makes sense, I just couldn't Grok your idea. Don't think that can be discrimination when Everyone has to make advance reservations to go in though. You cannot just walk up and take a tour.

JPaiva

Dogs do not like bears (the feeling is mutual). They will bark and bark and bark at a bear. So, bear's advice is to be a bear, then the rider will have to cancel because his dogs will not get in your car. Unless they are hunting dogs, in which case you'll have to kill them.

and service ponies?

Wildgoose

No, you cancel the ride and call the police. The pax will be standing there waiting on another driver. Is a crap shoot which shows up 1st. But I guarantee if a 2nd driver shows up, I'm telling them the police are on the way, that I just canceled on this a**hole with fake service dogs. Have them cancel amd wait for the police. Same if a 3rd or 4th driver shows up. Everyone on the police report can sue for damages if deactivated because of this pax. The only way to get the pax info is by involving the police. Then its off to small claims court.
I don't think cancelling is a good idea that would give riders in Uber's favor. They still could claim you that you refuse to take service animals. Best thing is not to cancel. call police, riders will cancel and run away. He won't dare to claim Uber about drivers.

JPaiva

I don't think cancelling is a good idea that would give riders in Uber's favor. They still could claim you that you refuse to take service animals. Best thing is not to cancel. call police, riders will cancel and run away. He won't dare to claim Uber about drivers.
No, the dogs were fine... I canceled because the pax was naked. Let em prove me wrong

SuzeCB

mo

Legit service animals won't do any of those things (except maybe shed).

Dash cam goes a long way towards not being deactivated for cancelling on fakes/"compromised" SAs, as do, surprisingly, the two questions.

A true SA won't go on your seats. It won't enter your car without the handler telling or signaling it to do so. It won't bite, or be at all aggressive or territorial. Nails are kept SHORT (as in barely there), and they defecate and urinate only on command unless sick or distressed (including if the handler hasn't given the command and they just CAN'T hold it anymore -- like on a long plane, train, or bus trip.

I've caught some fakes, and refused service, not because of the dogs themselves, but because if someone's going to scam that, they'll probably try something else to cheat me, as well. If they threaten to report, I make sure they know I have everything recorded, that faking a SA is a misdemeanor level crime in NJ, and that if they try it I WILL press charges on them for faking, and sue them for any money I lose while U/L "investigates", as well as punitive damages in Small Claims Court.

I've never been reported.

JPaiva

Legit service animals won't do any of those things (except maybe shed).

Dash cam goes a long way towards not being deactivated for cancelling on fakes/"compromised" SAs, as do, surprisingly, the two questions.

A true SA won't go on your seats. It won't enter your car without the handler telling or signaling it to do so. It won't bite, or be at all aggressive or territorial. Nails are kept SHORT (as in barely there), and they defecate and urinate only on command unless sick or distressed (including if the handler hasn't given the command and they just CAN'T hold it anymore -- like on a long plane, train, or bus trip.

I've caught some fakes, and refused service, not because of the dogs themselves, but because if someone's going to scam that, they'll probably try something else to cheat me, as well. If they threaten to report, I make sure they know I have everything recorded, that faking a SA is a misdemeanor level crime in NJ, and that if they try it I WILL press charges on them for faking, and sue them for any money I lose while U/L "investigates", as well as punitive damages in Small Claims Court.

I've never been reported.
PERFECT! And you are absolutely correct regarding how SA's act. Its not rocket science, although there are some pretty ignorant OPs driving (just look at some of the stupidity in this forum) If only all drivers would have the hutspa to not be intimidated by pax. Sadly most seem to just be willing to bend over and take it.

SuzeCB

PERFECT! And you are absolutely correct regarding how SA's act. Its not rocket science, although there are some pretty ignorant OPs driving (just look at some of the stupidity in this forum) If only all drivers would have the hutspa to not be intimidated by pax. Sadly most seem to just be willing to bend over and take it.
Both of these companies are horrible with the way they treat drivers and riders alike, worse with drivers.

Too many people in this forum have it in their heads that U/L always side with riders. They don't. Drivers just have to know HOW to cover their own asses, is all. There are certain complaints they have to act upon in certain ways to protect themselves from having to shell out money in 7 or more figures. If you can show that you can protect YOURSELF from these complaints, it also protects the companies, and then they can be more amenable to your side of the story.

But too many drivers refuse to stand up for themselves. NJ has a $3,000 cap on Small Claims Judgements. Suing someone for actual damages due to their Slander and Defamation of Character, and making up the the remainder in Punitive Damages doesn't require a lawyer (in fact, SC court is specifically for those WITHOUT attorneys, and can result in a judge being more sympathetic to the person without one), can be completed relatively quickly (sometimes within a month), and costs all of $15 to file the initial Summons & Complaint. If you have a friend willing to help out and serve U/L with the Subpoena to U/L to get the pax's info, then you don't even have to pay for that.

Basically, 2 days worth of work (spread out over 3-4 times of doing the work), to get $3000..... but they whine, "it's not wooooorrrrrrth it!"

It's so much easier to rant here about how awful those bad ol' pax are, or how evil those mean ol' companies are and how helpless the driver is in all of it.

People need to shine up their spines.

JPaiva

Irony is so much fun. What is hutspa?
Is the googles down? Dont have a dictionary? (waiting for the "whats a dictionary?") Damn this generation is lazy. Hutzpa- It means guts, balls, confidence, not being afraid to stand up for yourself or others in the face of b.s.

Jon Stoppable

Is the googles down? Dont have a dictionary? (waiting for the "whats a dictionary?") Damn this generation is lazy. Hutzpa- It means guts, balls, confidence, not being afraid to stand up for yourself or others in the face of b.s.

A dictionary might spell that Yiddish word as "chutzpah", but bear wouldn't know as bear cannot read :frown: