Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Find my iPhone led rider to MY HOUSE!

14K views 123 replies 53 participants last post by  ZenUber 
#1 ·
A rider came to my HOUSE this morning because of Find my iPhone. She had been in a huge ride of 7 passengers and her friend had purchased the Uber. So, instead of going through Uber to get her phone back, she pinged her phone and showed up at my front door. I have NEVER been so freaked out in my life. She said she hadn't realized she'd lost it in my car and thought maybe it was at one of the places she went last night.

Anyway, how do you handle this? IMO this is incredibly inappropriate. I'm considering now if I find a phone I'm leaving it at a gas station or something if somebody doesn't immediately call looking for it.

#3 ·
A rider came to my HOUSE this morning because of Find my iPhone. She had been in a huge ride of 7 passengers and her friend had purchased the Uber. So, instead of going through Uber to get her phone back, she pinged her phone and showed up at my front door. I have NEVER been so freaked out in my life. She said she hadn't realized she'd lost it in my car and thought maybe it was at one of the places she went last night.

Anyway, how do you handle this? IMO this is incredibly inappropriate. I'm considering now if I find a phone I'm leaving it at a gas station or something if somebody doesn't immediately call looking for it.
A few months ago, another lady driver had exact same thing happen to her. Except her pax was drunk.

I'll try and find the thread

#4 ·
if I find a phone I'm leaving it at a gas station or something if somebody doesn't immediately call looking for it.
I think there was another thread similar a couple of months ago - about police turning up with regard to a stolen iPhone, where the rider left it in the car and then reported it stolen.

Yes - if you find one (or anything else) - dump it.

If Uber (or anyone else) contact you to locate - then tell them you will try find it and return it if is in your car. - Then there is no overhead for you to cover the cost of the return (read Ubers new policy on this).

#5 ·

That's scary. And what's to stop someone from purposely stashing a phone in your car and tracking you to your home. Glad it worked out for you and you're safe. I have noticed that large groups seem to lose items more often. So just make it a habit to ask people when they exit to make sure they have their keys and phones. If they're drunk you have to do the thinking for your customers.

#9 ·
Wow, lesson learned. Haven't had that happen yet. So take it to a fast food place, give it to the manager and say "please keep this, someone will be here for it."

#16 ·

If it really was in your home, you had found it.
first thing you do should do is to report a found item to avoid pax getting wrong idea about you. Then worry about other stuff.

#20 ·
You are over reacting. She lost her phone and had the technology to get it back and locate it before her phone died. Contacting Uber can take days and weeks for a response. By that time, you could have taken other passengers and her phone could have been lifted, putting you in a awkward place. If she ordered the Uber through her phone she wouldn't able able to use the lost article within the app. Be thankful Uber didn't make you waste your time and gas handing it back. Lord know they wouldn't reimburse you either!

#22 ·
You are over reacting. She lost her phone and had the technology to get it back and locate it before her phone died. Contacting Uber can take days and weeks. By that time, you could have taken other passengers and her phone could have been lifted, putting you in a awkward place. Be thankful Uber didn't make you waste your time and gas handing it back. Lord know they wouldn't reimburse you either!
Well, I've learned my lesson. You leave your stuff, I'm leaving it on my way home. I'm not allowing strangers to come to where I live where my kids are. At first I thought I'd leave it at a gas station, but honestly the police station is on my way home, so I'm stopping there instead at the end of the night if somebody leaves a phone. I'm not any Pax's mom, so if they can't keep up with their stuff, it's their problem.

#26 ·
My procedure when we approach the drop off:

1. About 1 minute to drop off: I turn off the volume or whatever is playing, if any.
2. I ask everyone to make sure they don't leave anything behind: keys, wallets, trash, phones!
3. When I drop off, I ask them again to check the seats as they leave the car.
4. I let them out and if car is in a place where I can quickly check the seats, i do a quick walk trough and get back to my seat to finish trip.

A couple times I caught items left behind before it was too late.
I learned to pay special attention to this since each time somebody left an item in my car, it became a big problem for me. better to prevent it if possible.

#27 ·
Once I found an iPhone 5s as soon as the pax left.
They had already entered into an apartment building and the door was shot, and I couldn't contact them.
When I called them from my phone, the lost phone in the car rang. So, I was out of luck.
It was about 3:00 AM or so. Phone was password protected, so I cannot call anyone from it, I can only wait for them to call back.

I stayed in their parking lot another 20 minutes until they started calling their phone. I told them I had been waiting for this call :)
My assumption was, everyone when they go to sleep, they look for their phone. that's when they called me.
I was right with my assumption.
They rewarded me with $37 tip, a stack brand new singles leftover from their strip club visit earlier that night, for waiting to give them their phone back :)

#108 ·
Once I found an iPhone 5s as soon as the pax left.
They had already entered into an apartment building and the door was shot, and I couldn't contact them.
When I called them from my phone, the lost phone in the car rang. So, I was out of luck.
It was about 3:00 AM or so. Phone was password protected, so I cannot call anyone from it, I can only wait for them to call back.

I stayed in their parking lot another 20 minutes until they started calling their phone. I told them I had been waiting for this call :)
My assumption was, everyone when they go to sleep, they look for their phone. that's when they called me.
I was right with my assumption.
They rewarded me with $37 tip, a stack brand new singles leftover from their strip club visit earlier that night, for waiting to give them their phone back :)
Since your username says Tampa I'm guessing Monds Venus? Ahhhhhhh the memories. :)

#29 ·

You must lead a very sheltered life, if this is the FREAKIEST thing that ever happened to you. Mine was coming across a bear during a portage, then there was the time I got my car stuck in the sand on a beach in Mexico, and the time I was totally lost in the sand dunes in southern Colorado.......

But seriously, someone looking for their phone politely knocking at your front door? What if they had found your dog you didn't know had gotten out? And what about those scary Mormon dudes?

#31 ·
She wasn't politely knocking on my door. It was a crazy, drunk passenger I'd picked up the night before at a strip club with 6 of her other crazy drunk friends. The first thing she said when she got into my car was "Does anybody have any heroine?" She was a complete a-hole passenger, and I would've kicked the whole group out of my car if we'd been anywhere near civilization, but we weren't since the strip club is outside of city limits. So, after being a total dipshit on the trip and not listening to me when I asked people to get their phones and climbing over the seats in my Acadia and nearly breaking an armrest to get out, then the crazy B has the nerve to show up hungover at my house the next day with one of the awful guys who was with her. These were the first people who disrespected my personal vehicle (and of course no tip). Every other rider I've had has been incredibly respectful of the fact that this is MY vehicle that I use daily to transport myself and my children and that I'm driving on the weekends to help make ends meet as well as keep some drunk drivers off the road.

Granted I've only driven 30 or so rides, but this ride was BY FAR the worst of the bunch, and if I start to get many more like this, I'm not going to continue driving for Uber. So for THAT terrible group of people to show up where I live, I was SERIOUSLY unhappy. My husband was even more unhappy and wants me to stop driving, but I'm not ready to do that yet.

#34 ·
It happened to few times, sometimes the phone is dropped on the floor of the car. A girl left the phone in the car. When I got ping, it was near by to her drop off location which I cancelled. I tried to give her by calling that building's manager and spent 30-40 min. She was not the tenant of that building. Wrote to Uber (you know what happened). Uber gave her my phone # and she came to pick up phone from me. Before that she was tracking her phone as she told me that you are at airport, can you drop off the phone? She was like 10 miles and dont think she will give tip. She did not give tip give tip to keep her phone secure, not even thanks.
Take home message at least for me: If I find any thing like phone after the drop off, I will go again to that drop off place and take the battery out, put the phone under the tire of my car and run over it. Very simple no headache !!

#52 ·
Similar thing happen to me. Lady was drunk, slept in a car and dropped her phone on floor. Left without saying anything, Guy with her was nice. But lady was a**hole. Next day morning she called me and asked me address to meet and get her phone back. I drove about 10 mile to meet her and give phone back, she took a phone and left. No thank you, no tip. She thought it is my fault to keep he phone safe. Next time, if I found iPhone - I will give it to some one - may be homeless and see how it goes for lady like her.

#38 ·

Just don't enable your microphone to be turned on automatically by Uber. Just got a message from my I phone asking if I would let them. Hey but they promised never to eavesdrop on my conversations. CEO Travis may show up at my door or email me I am deactivated for speaking the truth about my job.

#39 ·
Geeze.. you people are so paranoid.. many of you should just stop driving, like today. What if you lost your phone and your ability to earn a living? You too would do almost anything to get it back right away, so would I. I have found about 5 or 6 lost phones in car or had calls due to missing such phones. Each time I returned the item and a minimum $5 tip was given with more than a few 20 dollar tips. I am not getting out of my car each ride to look in every nook at cranny. I do remind most pax to check for loose items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.