Find my iPhone led rider to MY HOUSE!

RachelD

A rider came to my HOUSE this morning because of Find my iPhone. She had been in a huge ride of 7 passengers and her friend had purchased the Uber. So, instead of going through Uber to get her phone back, she pinged her phone and showed up at my front door. I have NEVER been so freaked out in my life. She said she hadn't realized she'd lost it in my car and thought maybe it was at one of the places she went last night.

Anyway, how do you handle this? IMO this is incredibly inappropriate. I'm considering now if I find a phone I'm leaving it at a gas station or something if somebody doesn't immediately call looking for it.

observer

A rider came to my HOUSE this morning because of Find my iPhone. She had been in a huge ride of 7 passengers and her friend had purchased the Uber. So, instead of going through Uber to get her phone back, she pinged her phone and showed up at my front door. I have NEVER been so freaked out in my life. She said she hadn't realized she'd lost it in my car and thought maybe it was at one of the places she went last night.

Anyway, how do you handle this? IMO this is incredibly inappropriate. I'm considering now if I find a phone I'm leaving it at a gas station or something if somebody doesn't immediately call looking for it.
A few months ago, another lady driver had exact same thing happen to her. Except her pax was drunk.

I'll try and find the thread

Altima ATL

if I find a phone I'm leaving it at a gas station or something if somebody doesn't immediately call looking for it.
I think there was another thread similar a couple of months ago - about police turning up with regard to a stolen iPhone, where the rider left it in the car and then reported it stolen.

Yes - if you find one (or anything else) - dump it.

If Uber (or anyone else) contact you to locate - then tell them you will try find it and return it if is in your car. - Then there is no overhead for you to cover the cost of the return (read Ubers new policy on this).

SlowBoat

That's scary. And what's to stop someone from purposely stashing a phone in your car and tracking you to your home. Glad it worked out for you and you're safe. I have noticed that large groups seem to lose items more often. So just make it a habit to ask people when they exit to make sure they have their keys and phones. If they're drunk you have to do the thinking for your customers.

DB2448

That's scary. And what's to stop someone from purposely stashing a phone in your car and tracking you to your home. Glad it worked out for you and you're safe. I have noticed that large groups seem to lose items more often. So just make it a habit to ask people when they exit to make sure they have their keys and phones. If they're drunk you have to do the thinking for your customers.

A lot of people lose things. One of my first rides, the guy left $20 (reported to Uber, gave it back since I had just left his drop off location and no tip :frown: one person nearly left a water bottle of all things, and on Saturday, took a group of three people and the woman in the group almost left her car keys and a credit card. Face palm.

Fuzzyelvis

A lot of people lose things. One of my first rides, the guy left $20 (reported to Uber, gave it back since I had just left his drop off location and no tip :frown: one person nearly left a water bottle of all things, and on Saturday, took a group of three people and the woman in the group almost left her car keys and a credit card. Face palm.
$20 cash? Sounds like a tip to me. I've had one person tell me they know some drivers are scared to take tips so she leaves it on the seat.

Told her I wasn't scared at all! Lol

RachelD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is EXACTLY what my husband said. He's already really worried about me being a driver. I do ask, but they were such an unruly group of 7 that they completely ignored me :frown:

UberXTampa

If it really was in your home, you had found it.
first thing you do should do is to report a found item to avoid pax getting wrong idea about you. Then worry about other stuff.

RachelD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it really was in your home, you had found it.
first thing you do should do is to report a found item to avoid pax getting wrong idea about you. Then worry about other stuff.
It was in my car, which was outside my home.

BurgerTiime

You are over reacting. She lost her phone and had the technology to get it back and locate it before her phone died. Contacting Uber can take days and weeks for a response. By that time, you could have taken other passengers and her phone could have been lifted, putting you in a awkward place. If she ordered the Uber through her phone she wouldn't able able to use the lost article within the app. Be thankful Uber didn't make you waste your time and gas handing it back. Lord know they wouldn't reimburse you either!