Finally .. surge is back

DAG

Finally saw a surge for the first time since last Saturday, right in time for the weekend.
Did you get a surge rider tonigjt? I didn't and I sat amid a South Tampa surge for awhile around 7pm. Got ping from outside surge!

CTK

Better than nothing but I think they've capped it again at 1.7x. Total BS
Right, I saw that. And as a result Soho, Ybor City, and downtown Tampa surged at 1.7x for over an hour last night til after 3:30. Looks like some of those people had a hard time getting home.

Speaking only for myself, I certainly don't work bar closings in congested areas for the glitz and the glamour. It's ugly, it's painful, it's frustrating and treacherous and it basically sucks. But I do it because generally the money is good. Take the money factor away and I don't care how these people get home. 1.7x just isn't enough to put myself through it.

Uberfood

Yup, I'm calling it for the night after a particularly annoying group of youngins. Even with the maximum surge of 1.7x, their minimum fare was under 6 dollars. Not worth the headache.

CTK

Yup, I'm calling it for the night after a particularly annoying group of youngins. Even with the maximum surge of 1.7x, their minimum fare was under 6 dollars. Not worth the headache.
Me too, headed home early. My last ride - downtown St Pete pick up, go through the Taco Bell line, four drunks screaming and hollering the entire time. They did give me $30 cash to go to Taco Bell, and because the Taco Bell was way out of the way the fare was $14, but still. It was a torturous 36 minutes, and for a max of 1.7x I couldn't face doing anymore like that.

Here are some other factors that make Saturday nights suck, and worth a big bump in pay: ratings always go down, drunks are the most likely to give you bad ratings (mostly because you have to act like their mother and discipline them when they do dumb things). Cancellation rates go way up because of the rider no-shows - drunks order a ride and forget they did so by the time you get there. All in all It just isn't worth it.

MoreTips

I've never had a "partner" cheat, scam, and steal from me this much before. Worst relationship ever.

The whole keeping surge off or capped is so wrong, we deserve to know if there is no possibility of catching a surge ride or if it's limited. I've spent the past week just basically trying to get the reps to slip up and tell me something they shouldn't about the surge suspension. They must not be in the loop, because no matter how I tried they would not confirm or deny a thing. These reps would make any defense attorney proud.

rw1983

I finally got someone to answer the question on why surge has been capped at 1.7x. They stated it was due to the state of emergency that Florida is/was under due to the hurricane. Not sure what that has to do with a week later, but that's the reason.

Puppyrappa

So it was a state of emergency a month ago too?

But uber being dishonest with their "partners"... shocking....

I will say it seem Lyft had a cap today as well, capped at 200% at the stadium from basically half time till an hour afterward. I tend not to work games as I don't feel the castle is worth it but if it stays capped, there's no way in hell I'm doing it

rw1983

I agree, but who truly knows why either do what they do. I refuse to do x rides for that reason too.

JTampa1

What happened to surge pricing? Haven’t seen it since Sunday night. Don’t see any upcoming either. Is it just me?

CTK

What happened to surge pricing? Haven’t seen it since Sunday night. Don’t see any upcoming either. Is it just me?
There was surge on Monday, here and there, little surges just like any typical Monday. There's a little surge in Brandon as I type this. The issue is that it appears to be capped at 1.7x, even for things like football games, concerts, and the bars closing on Saturday nights.

Curious what you mean about seeing upcoming surge?

JTampa1

I guess it’s different for UE only. I normally see promotions in south Tampa and USF 5-9pm but nothing yesterday, today and nothing scheduled.