• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Finally assaulted

UberBoy69

Had a very drunken pax (brother of account holder) ask me to make a stop on route (before we left) for cigarettes. Normally I don't have a problem but he had already been aggressive to me while his non drunk friend was trying to get him in the vehicle. Demanding "his money back" because I didn't give him a cigarette.

He gets in and says "we are stopping for cigarettes or I'll fight you" I'm like "what... it doesn't work like that"

He then threatened me again. I told him the ride was over, turned the car off and I got out. He gets out, jogs around and grabs me. I have to hold him off till his friends come hold him back.

I get in, drive off, complete the trip, call uber, file a report, block the paxs phone number.

I will say uber was very quick in replying etc though I'm annoyed that pax was still allowed to down vote me a 1.

I'm not a small guy, 6ft, 200lbs and quite athletic. Im wondering what are my rights regarding self defense? If I had a firearm in that instance could I have been justified in using it had his friends not been there to restrain him?

Input welcome

Cheers

Pete Moran

If that was me, I would have taken him to the closes gas station and then left and completed the trip distance, because regardless they will give you 1 star and uber will not remove it. Might as well get your money for the 1 star then to get nothing with a 1 star, but that is me lol. Yes if you had a gun you can use it as self defense just don't shoot him on the head first, unless he is about to end your life, you can end his first. Do what is necessary to return home to your family

Primeonly27

Alot of drivers in Florida do legally carry firearms. If you do get licenced to carry they will explain all the legal mumbo jumbo to you. In Aventura an Uber driver was taking two passengers to the FLL airport and the carjacker had two guns and did not get one shot off and the Uber driver shot this guy dead! No one knows what happened to this driver. I think Uber pulled him into an office and told him he can't drive for Uber anymore and can not sue uber if he sings on the dotted line and handed him a check for $100K for his signature. He was paid to stay quite about loosing his uber job in return for the check. If anyone really knows what happened to this driver please post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9gL_03fhRM

Last edited:

tohunt4me

Had a very drunken pax (brother of account holder) ask me to make a stop on route (before we left) for cigarettes. Normally I don't have a problem but he had already been aggressive to me while his non drunk friend was trying to get him in the vehicle. Demanding "his money back" because I didn't give him a cigarette.

He gets in and says "we are stopping for cigarettes or I'll fight you" I'm like "what... it doesn't work like that"

He then threatened me again. I told him the ride was over, turned the car off and I got out. He gets out, jogs around and grabs me. I have to hold him off till his friends come hold him back.

I get in, drive off, complete the trip, call uber, file a report, block the paxs phone number.

I will say uber was very quick in replying etc though I'm annoyed that pax was still allowed to down vote me a 1.

I'm not a small guy, 6ft, 200lbs and quite athletic. Im wondering what are my rights regarding self defense? If I had a firearm in that instance could I have been justified in using it had his friends not been there to restrain him?

Input welcome

Cheers
As soon as he touches you
Beat him to death.

Remember : alcohol is an anticoagulant.
Drunks bleed out quicker.

I_Like_Spam

Had a very drunken pax
If someone is that drunk, they are too drunk to ride.

"have a nice walk" is the appropriate retort even before he climbs in.

The other point is that Uber drivers really need to get a reputation, to keep these aggressive drunks in line. Yellow Cab drivers didn't have the kind of problem that you describe and wouldn't. A lot of people were very wary of us, and thought we carve them up like a Thanksgiving dinner or worse if they pulled this kind of stunt. Cab driver was considered a poverty job for those in the bottom rung of society's ladder and the passengers "knew" that we lived in a hardscrabble part of town where we had to fight everyday just to get home. They weren't going to chance having to deal with the cab driver and his cab driving brothers that he could summon on the radio.

Primeonly27

Also if you look at Uber's website on gun policy it states . . . . * To the extent permitted by applicable law. So make of it what you want or ask them and get some canned response that won't answer your question. Your not an employee and your car is your property. If they say no then that makes you an employee and they could end up having to pay unemployment, disability insurance, SSI among other things. I am sure if you ask Uber tell them you are allowed to carry under Florida law they will not tell you yes you can carry a gun and they won't tell you no. They may just tell you the same stuff they have posted on their website like bla blah bla duh . . .. Carry on! Also keyword is MAY lose access to Uber dose not say shall or will. They put that word MAY in their for a reason to avoid lawsuits and having you classified as an employee.

Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app.*
Anyone who violates this policy may lose access to Uber.
* To the extent permitted by applicable law.

Primeonly27

CARRY ON! If you have a licence to do so. It is now stated on the Uber Miami site. I have been ever since I started Uber 3 years ago. Never go on a ride with out it. And have never had to pull it out or use it. If you do decide to carry it must stay concealed at all times and you will have to turn down any and all Port Everglades cruise ship rides. Also you should go practice shooting about once a month so you are able to hit your target. If you have to use it try to make sure you do it from the outside of the car as it will make you deaf or anyone in your car deaf too. Do not shoot across your passenger seat if a passenger is in that seat or the passenger in not the intended target. Go for a quality firearm that is easy to conceal and comfortable to carry and one that is 9mm or better. Revolvers are less likely to fail on you than a semi-auto and have no safety. They are ready to rock and roll with out much thought. A hammerless double action revolver is a great choice. Nothing for them to snag on and you can pull the trigger and keep going with in under your clothing something a semi-auto can't do. And you probally don't want to have it in a fanny pack, have in a good holster on you. For all you fanny pack people know the person who gets the first shot off on target in a gun fight usually wins. As you reach for you fanny pack with me you would be dead before you get it out.

No firearms in Uber, is their policy no matter what. If you have one, they will kick you out. Remember, they are from the left coast :smiles:
Wrong! See uber Miami website.

JLDW22

Be respectful, but you don't work for Uber. Never, ever tell anyone you are carrying a gun weather its with Uber or at Church . NEVER.
If you do and your life is in imitate danger not just a fist fight. When, and if you have to draw your gun use your weapon as a tool to back pedal .
If you cant back pedal and you need to save your life and you pull the trigger SHOOT to Kill.