Filing unemployment claim

UberIsAllFubared

the statement itself by EDD on Twitter seems misleading to me.
I don't think you need to be misclassified to qualify for benefits here?
gives me alot of confidence in EDD, not
I don't use Twitter, but can you respond back to EDD on Twitter about their statement about misclassification?

Yeah, their wrong. The law that was signed only went into effect on Friday, from what I make of the new law, Uber/lyft and other gig workers will be filing unemployment though "Pandemic Unemployment Assistance". So EDD needs to make that an option on their website. IMHO, it should have been done already, but its government, so who knows how fricken long it will take... my guess, until they fix it, its a waiting game.

PTB

that section is on page 84 of the bill
SEC. 2102. PANDEMIC UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE.

UberIsAllFubared

SEC. 2102. PANDEMIC UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE.

So which one do you think we should choose in asking for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This is where I am not sure.

"Section 2102 creates the temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program (the “Program”), effective January 27, 2020, to remain in effect until December 31, 2020, which covers individuals who would not otherwise be eligible for unemployment insurance and benefits – the self-employed, independent contractors, gig workers, part-time employment seekers, those who lack sufficient work history, or who have exhausted their unemployment benefits under existing schemes – provided they are able to self-certify that they are unemployed, partially unemployed, or unable to unavailable to work because:

• They have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 that require a medical diagnosis.
  • A member of their household has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
  • They are providing care for a family member or member of their household who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
  • A member of their household for which they have primary caregiving responsibility is unable to attend school or another facility that has been closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency and because of this closure they are unable to work.
  • They are unable to work because of a quarantine imposed as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
  • They are unable to work because they have been advised to self-quarantine by a health care provider.
  • They were scheduled to start a job but are unable to do so as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
  • They have become a “major support for a household” because the breadwinner in the household has died as a direct result of COVID-19.
  • They quit their job as a direct result of COVID-19."

PTB

I would advise you to read the BILL and not rely on news clippings from a news article (news media these days are not a reliable source of information) and neither am I. Look to Uber and EDD perhaps.
btw, I did not find the verbiage you posted in the bill.

Lil'Lyftie

The federal stimulus bill makes the additional funds available for the STATES to disburse through their existing UI systems. Each state will implement these desired changes in their own specific way. California's EDD will have to re-program their COBOL based legacy system to broaden the class of eligible claimants (to include rideshare drivers). That will take a couple weeks. Then changes to the claims process (re-printed forms, changes to website, training for staff). Another couple weeks at least.

Before UI claims skyrocketed, California's EDD needed three weeks (from submission of claim to first issue of payment) to get eligible recipients their money. Presently, the EDD is entirely overwhelmed by the millions of new STANDARD claims. They protest that they will keep to the 3-weeks timeline for STANDARD applications, but - c'mon - that's like Trump saying in January he had COVID under control. That 3-week timeline is gonna slip, and that's for the standard cases that precisely fit the mold of what EDD's computer system can handle without much human intervention. Rideshare drivers' cases will not be STANDARD. Humans will have to look at those. At best, you might hope to see your first unemployment check reach you 2 months after you filed.
So:
2 weeks - COBOL programming
2 weeks - EDD process adjustment
File claim
2 months til first payment
--------------
You are looking at getting some of that stimulus UI pay at the beginning of July, at the very earliest. And bear in mind, you can't keep working rideshare (or any other independent contractor job) in the meantime, because then you void your application (or commit welfare fraud).

If you are one of the happy-go-lucky types who posted all these threads entitled "Yey, we get Unemployment", please: update your threads when you hold that first check in your hands. I'll check back in July to see how you're doing.

Uberscum

The federal stimulus bill makes the additional funds available for the STATES to disburse through their existing UI systems. Each state will implement these desired changes in their own specific way. California's EDD will have to re-program their COBOL based legacy system to broaden the class of eligible claimants (to include rideshare drivers). That will take a couple weeks. Then changes to the claims process (re-printed forms, changes to website, training for staff). Another couple weeks at least.

Before UI claims skyrocketed, California's EDD needed three weeks (from submission of claim to first issue of payment) to get eligible recipients their money. Presently, the EDD is entirely overwhelmed by the millions of new STANDARD claims. They protest that they will keep to the 3-weeks timeline for STANDARD applications, but - c'mon - that's like Trump saying in January he had COVID under control. That 3-week timeline is gonna slip, and that's for the standard cases that precisely fit the mold of what EDD's computer system can handle without much human intervention. Rideshare drivers' cases will not be STANDARD. Humans will have to look at those. At best, you might hope to see your first unemployment check reach you 2 months after you filed.
So:
2 weeks - COBOL programming
2 weeks - EDD process adjustment
File claim
2 months til first payment
--------------
You are looking at getting some of that stimulus UI pay at the beginning of July, at the very earliest. And bear in mind, you can't keep working rideshare (or any other independent contractor job) in the meantime, because then you void your application (or commit welfare fraud).

If you are one of the happy-go-lucky types who posted all these threads entitled "Yey, we get Unemployment", please: update your threads when you hold that first check in your hands. I'll check back in July to see how you're doing.
First of all this is all conjecture, secondly it's a catch-22 that cannot be enforced on the person who is receiving the funds such as you and I because to say that I can't make a living until July or whenever, it's impossible for this to work, people have to pay bills.

Now if they want to deduct a certain percentage because I worked in the interim, then that's fine and fair... but to tell someone you can't work but we won't give you money for three months is ridiculous and not realistic.

Lil'Lyftie

First of all this is all conjecture, secondly it's a catch-22 that cannot be enforced on the person who is receiving the funds such as you and I because to say that I can't make a living until July or whenever, it's impossible for this to work, people have to pay bills.

Now if they want to deduct a certain percentage because I worked in the interim, then that's fine and fair... but to tell someone you can't work but we won't give you money for three months is ridiculous and not realistic.
Amen, brother.

Looking at all this realistically, the cash payout to resident US taxpayers (up to $1,200 per person) is the only benefit you will see if you have to rideshare for a living at the moment, and have to keep working to pay your everyday bills. Nothing else will come to you.

UberIsAllFubared

Amen, brother.

Looking at all this realistically, the cash payout to resident US taxpayers (up to $1,200 per person) is the only benefit you will see if you have to rideshare for a living at the moment, and have to keep working to pay your everyday bills. Nothing else will come to you.

I agree with you to a certain point, we aren't going to get Unemployment over night, its going to take awhile, but its going to be much faster than July. The whole reason they are doing this, especially the $600 extra from the feds is because they want people TO STAY IN PLACE, and stop spreading the virus... they know people can't do this if they don't get the funds fairly soon.

You are 100% right on the "can't uber" now if you want Unemployment. Here is the deal, even if you don't die from the virus if you catch it, you can get really really fricken sick, NOT FUN, so I won't be ubering anytime in the near future. I have some money saved, so it does allow me this route. But as I said weeks ago, you only have a few bills that are essential right now, RENT, FOOD, and cell phone, everything else is a luxury right now. No one know how long this is going to go on. My guess, as long as we continue to do half measures (like Best Buy being open) then we are going to be doing this much much longer.

Uberscum

Amen, brother.

I won't be getting the $1,200 because I didn't file in 2018 and 2019 but waiting for the 600 a week it's frustrating.

The good news is yesterday I picked up a waitress who was out of work for a week here in Florida, and she told me that in about seven days they are going to reopen the restaurants, I'm hoping the bars too. This way I can get some Street work again.

right now we are able to pick up and go through the drive-thru but not dine inside the restaurant.

UberIsAllFubared

I won't be getting the $1,200 because I didn't file in 2018 and 2019 but waiting for the 600 a week it's frustrating.

The good news is yesterday I picked up a waitress who was out of work for a week here in Florida, and she told me that in about seven days they are going to reopen the restaurants, I'm hoping the bars too. This way I can get some Street work again.

File your 2018 and 2019 NOW.

UberIsAllFubared

You don’t have to, Only time you don’t qualify for $1200 with SSN is if someone claimed you as their dependent in their tax returns,No?

I think I read in one of the articles you had to file a tax return in 2018 or 2019... but that may have been just so the IRS has your banking info so they can do direct deposit.

Uberscum

You don’t have to, Only time you don’t qualify for $1200 with SSN is if someone claimed you as their dependent in their tax returns,No?
It says anyone who has paid into payroll taxes. I did pizza delivery prior to this here in Florida and my boss's wife recommended at least I show something to the government so she only taxed whatever tips I got on a credit card, it wasn't much oh, maybe $20 a week tops. But if they going to base it on that, I'll probably get $100 LOL

Screenshot_2020-03-27-15-28-44.png

Post automatically merged:

I think I read in one of the articles you had to file a tax return in 2018 or 2019... but that may have been just so the IRS has your banking info so they can do direct deposit.
I read that you have to personally call the IRS to do a deposit in your bank. Failing to do so, then they go to Social Security the find you through that method.

Uberscum

Yes. And you must've filed a 2018 or a 2019 federal 1040 (=tax return).
That's strange because I found a stimulus check calculator and when I changed the setting to did not file taxes in 2019, it says I'm still getting get the $1,200.

Lil'Lyftie

It says anyone who has paid into payroll taxes. I did pizza delivery prior to this here in Florida and my boss's wife recommended at least I show something to the government so she only taxed whatever tips I got on a credit card, it wasn't much oh, maybe $20 a week tops. But if they going to base it on that, I'll probably get $100 LOL

View attachment 438931

I read that you have to personally call the IRS to do a deposit in your bank. Failing to do so, then they go to Social Security the find you through that method.
If a refund was due on your 2018 and/or 2019 return(s), the IRS will use the payment information from those returns (= direct deposit into your bank account).If no refund was due, a check will be mailed. This is what will almost certainly happen.
Now, if your banking information has changed (you closed your bank account), remain very vigilant in the next days for any pronouncements coming from the Service. They will likely offer you an opportunity to correct the banking information they have on file for you. You must do so immediately, because otherwise you won't see any of the money for many months.

That's strange because I found a stimulus check calculator and when I changed the setting to did not file taxes in 2019, it says I'm still getting get the $1,200.

You're getting the stimulus pay if you filed your 2018 return. Since the tax deadline for 2019 was extended, not having filed your 2019 return yet doesn't affect the process. If you did file the 2019 return, they will base the amount of the payment on the income you declared there.

There's a little loophole here that some may benefit from (certainly not anyone posting to this board): if you haven't yet filed for 2019, but - once you DO file the 2019 and declare income high enough to exclude you from receiving any stimulus payment - if you have already received your stimulus payment based on your 2018 income by then, you WILL NOT have to pay back any money you received in stimulus pay, even though technically you weren't eligible.

Last edited: