1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Few questions: new driver seeking advice

Discussion in 'Advice' started by yuchangyu111, Apr 12, 2018.

1. yuchangyu111

yuchangyu111

Driving:
    UberX
    1. Is ubereats ever worth without at least a 1.2 surge?

2. What is more important to pick up a rider: time or miles and what is your cutoff and reasoning?

3. Strictly speaking do you guys always decline deadhead back?

4. What is the policy of car seats, how old do they have to be?

5. I've read the forums and started using tips I've seen like making my car smell nice, vacuuming the back daily and using a tip jar. For the tip jar,where do you guys place them who use them? In front cupholder? Do you write tips on it?

6. Any advice on oil changes. My friend said the best way is just to buy the oil and give a friend 20 bucks to do it who knows how..anyone experienced with info.

Thanks for the help! As I said I am a new driver but would love to improve my hourly and learn the ropes.

henrygates likes this.
  2. DocT

DocT Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    1. I don't do EATS, so I can't comment. But I do hear nothing but negatives on it.
    2. Both miles and time. Sometimes during rush hour it may take 20 minutes to travel 2 miles.
    3. Decline? What do you mean? Go offline and deadmile back? Depending on the area you're currently in, you can use the Destination Filter. If you're in a bad area, get out as fast as you can, OFFLINE.
    4. Check with your state DMV law.
    5. Everyone has a different experience on tip jars. Try it out and experiment.
    6. Really? I have no info or experience on your friend. But I hope your friend isn't illegally dumping the used oil.

3. yuchangyu111

yuchangyu111

Driving:
    UberX
    By decline I just mean tell them you can't do the ride due to the deadhead time back

4. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    My last ubereats was a McDonald's delivery to a hungover apartment dweller (upstairs) who put in a bad address and couldn't give me a good location. It took half an hour for the delivery and I earned a whopping $3.65. That was it for me.

5. jgiun1

jgiun1

Honestly, by the time you buy the oil and filter and pay someone twenty dollars, your not really saving all that much. Also consider that you get a free windshield washer fill, tires checked properly and other fluids topped off included. Then also you have to dispose of the oil in a proper way and have the right container for holding the gross stuff in route to disposal.

I think it's one of those things you bite the bullet on considering its not a real big maintenance cost!!!!

ChocolateStarr and Rakos like this.
  6. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator

Why not get them to agree to leave the trip running until you get back into your area? According to uber policy you can do that (although I highly recommend texting the pax the agreement and get them to respond in text (through uber) that they do agree. This covers your backside should they change their mind later. Of course, actually end the ride as soon as you reach your area (not back to your house or whatever). The boundary of your home area.

As for the oil, I pay the extra 5 bucks or whatever it is to the shop over paying a friend because if something goes wrong (like they don't tighten the filter), I can make the shop pay to repair any damage that results from it. If my friend doesn't tighten the filter, well the damage is my problem really.

DocT likes this.
  7. yuchangyu111

yuchangyu111

Driving:
    UberX
    Have any of you used the 50% off sears oil change thru uber

8. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator

I haven't but then I don't really trust sears at this point.. By the time I got to my appointment they'd probably be closed. ;)

JMlyftuber and SuzeCB like this.
  9. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    Any kid should have a car seat if the shoulder strap can't rest correctly on their shoulder. There are weight specifications but since you won't be weighing the kid, that's a good rule of thumb.

Pay your friend $20 to show you how to change your own oil.

Welcome! Have fun driving!

Grand Lake likes this.
  10. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    It's $19.95 for the basic oil change at Walmart.

kc ub'ing! likes this.
  11. Not true At all
    Mobil 1 synthetic 26.99
    Filter ac delco 4.99
    Total around 32

Wal mart synthetic
    49.99...... I'll keep my $18 for 10 minutes of my life and knowing it was actually done

12. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    Even if Walmart uses synthetic oil for the change they will still use the cheapest, worst filter. High quality filters are worth the cost. I've never seen an oil change place with quality filters. Gotta buy your own and bring it. By the time you drive there and watch them do it you wasted more time than doing it yourself. Plus getting inside and looking at your engine and drivetrain top to bottom is a good way to detect problems early.

Juggalo9er likes this.
  13. thepeach

thepeach

Sounds great that you are able to change the oil in your vehicle henrygates. Personally, I go to an oil change place and they change the oil and filter. I tell them that I do rideshare and they check a list of stuff on the car. Fluids, car compartment air filter, tire presure, and lights. Here in the Chicago region I have seen more than ten rideshare vehicles with a non working headlight. I think that the rain, and snow and cold weather mixed with humidity takes its toll on the light bulbs in our cars over here. GETTING pulled over by the police because of a headlight is very foolish. Anyway - the oil change place works for me.

14. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke

Driving:
    UberX
    Do your own oil changes if you're able. sometimes the parts stores will run an oil change special for $20 for oil and filter. if you lived local to me I'd invite you over and show you how to change it yourself.

i have access to a lift, and can change my own tires and brakes, or heavier work if necessary.

or find a reputable repair shop that you trust and have them do it if you'd rather not work on your own.

i work in the auto industry for my 9-5, i'm a parts guy by trade. yes, i could pay the same $$$ for someone else to change it, but i enjoy looking over my own car.

15. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Advice, run for your life!!!!! Stay away!!!!!

You've been warned...

SuzeCB likes this.
  16. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing!

I did my own brakes. Surprisingly easy with a YouTube how to vid for guidance! Left side took 90 minutes, right 11 minutes. Worked out the kinks on the left! Saved myself over $300. For oil changes I go to Walmart. Quick n easy and they top off everything! I’d spend more time washing my hands after if I did it on my own.

Juggalo9er and dogmeat like this.
  17. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    1) I don't do EATS in any market where there is hard to find parking.
    2) Time lowers your hourly profit. Miles costs you CASH OUT OF POCKET. Which do you think? Take surge into account when considering pickup distance. No surge, I'm looking for pickups less than 5 minutes or less than half a mile, one mile tops.
    3) I avoid deadmiling back - I will take rides at the local area, hoping to get some my direction. If that fails I'll tend to use direction mode in either Uber or Lyft.
    4) Varies by state - know YOUR state laws. In California it's any child under 8 MUST be in a seat. All children under 16 MUST be in the back, and all under 18 MUST have a seatbelt on at all time, and so do all passengers, but that's a different offense.
    5) IMO Tip jars are TACKY. I do however have signs that read "Welcome! Please remember that gratuities are NOT included in your fare. Please remember to tip. Thank You!"
    6) Use Mobil1 Extended Duty, and a Mobil1 extended life filter. I'd need to know your specific car to tell you how often. I drive a hybrid, and while Extended Life Mobil1 is supposed to be good for 15k, I still change at 8 or 9k miles, because hybrids start and stop the engine SO OFTEN, the contaminants in the oil build up faster. If you drive a hybrid you really should change every 5k miles. And always use a synthetic.

Good luck.

yuchangyu111 likes this.
  18. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

Next Story:

"Uber Drivers making dangerous repairs because they can't afford auto maintenance costs! Bad brakes leading to pax deaths."

It's sad the dangers drivers have to put themselves through to drive for pennies.

19. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing!

You’re totally wrong and I’m gonna tell you why! I was a cheap sob long before I drove rideshare! My brakes work great. I did an excellent job! Me, my family and riders are perfectly safe.

I win the lottery tomorrow, I’ll still do my own brakes next time it’s required. Self reliance is a good thing. As is saving money whatever your employment or financial resources!

daave1 likes this.
  20. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou

Driving:
    Lyft
    Brakes is only slightly more complicated than an oil change, unless it's a hybrid. With Toyota hybrids and the brake by wire system, bleeding and flushing the brake system is very complicated, requires two people, a gallon of fluid, and a computer with Techstream.

I'm doing all new pads and rotors this week, plan on flushing separately next week.

daave1, Grand Lake and Iloveuberyay like this.