• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Festival R.I.D.E. Checks

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I sincerely hope that none of you experienced drivers would be using the app and driving around while impaired. That is the obvious part.

What has been your experience on R.I.D.E. stops with Peel, Toronto, York, or Durham officers?

I've gone through two of these so far this season, and one officer (Brampton) treated me like just any other driver (which is totally fine), and the other officer (Dundas West) said, oh, you drive for LYFT? Go ahead, without really checking too hard. Both times I didn't have a PAX in the car. The Toronto officer asked me 'are you on your way to pick up passenger.'

I am curious as to your interactions with these programs, both in 2018, and for the more experienced drivers, what your experience with the Police has been in regards to R.I.D.E. in the past years.

Gone_in_60_seconds

I sincerely hope that none of you experienced drivers would be using the app and driving around while impaired. That is the obvious part.

What has been your experience on R.I.D.E. stops with Peel, Toronto, York, or Durham officers?

I've gone through two of these so far this season, and one officer (Brampton) treated me like just any other driver (which is totally fine), and the other officer (Dundas West) said, oh, you drive for LYFT? Go ahead, without really checking too hard. Both times I didn't have a PAX in the car. The Toronto officer asked me 'are you on your way to pick up passenger.'

I am curious as to your interactions with these programs, both in 2018, and for the more experienced drivers, what your experience with the Police has been in regards to R.I.D.E. in the past years.
I wonder if they have developed any test for cannabis impairment? Last time I checked even the technology for testing cannabis impairment has not been developed, and the legal definition defined by the blood level THC concentration, has also not been established. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if they have developed any test for cannabis impairment? Last time I checked even the technology for testing cannabis impairment has not been developed, and the legal definition defined by th blood level THC concentration, has also not been established. :cool::cool::cool::cool:
I think the test is 'walk the yellow line' as it was before brethalizer machines came out for booze.

If you fail to walk the yellow line, and officer suspects cannabis, then they can subpeona a blood test or take you down to station 'with cause' and get saliva/blood/etc.

(Obviously, should the officers attempt to do this, you should be on the phone to a lawyer prior to doing anything.)

Uber flop

I went through an opp ride at the 400 Steeles exit a few weeks ago while driving uber, officer was cool I had a few pax in the car. This was a very large setup, not your average ride check.

They actually had a large testing area with legal council and with the ability to draw blood. There's no going to the station unless of course you've been arrested.

I've now driven 3 Christmas seasons with uber no issues with ride. I just tell them I am ubering, they're still legally required to ask you if you've had anything to drink and now smoke.

METRO3

I had similar experience where they just let me go by but the last two times I did have an officer come and smell me. I like that I just wish they would do checks on Friday and saturday nights and on Nye and st patty day.

massey

i have been stopped two times by durham police for at check posts . as i told them driving for uber , they did not bother to ask me any questions

loilae

The now well known spot under the bridge on bay street last Christmas. They saw I had my mounted phone and pax in the back seat so they let me go under 10 secs. Frankly the chance of Uber drivers driving under influence is very very small. We are simply not their target, especially if you have pax with you.

Retox

Been through a lot, always answered "Not today" or "Not yet" to their question whether I've consumed any alcohol. Always let me go in less than 15 seconds, some put their face closer to yours than others in order to get a better smell.

Also, If you happen to have pax inside, make sure they are buckled up in the back and front as cops check for that as well during ride stops.

Only been stopped once officer stuck his head into my car to ask questions, guess to take a whiff of my breathe and car. Didn’t give me hard time and it’s that time of season anyway so expected to run into em

iluxin

2 weeks ago they blocked Bloor west of Jane. I passed 3 times both directions with different riders. When officer saw me third time he asked: Uber driver, you again?! Are you teasing me?

My face at that moment

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

bandit13

The now well known spot under the bridge on bay street last Christmas. They saw I had my mounted phone and pax in the back seat so they let me go under 10 secs. Frankly the chance of Uber drivers driving under influence is very very small. We are simply not their target, especially if you have pax with you.
Agree.

Check points at York St / Bridge beside Union Station. Bridge on Yonge St by LCBO at Summerhill. In front of ROM Museum on Queens Park. Police always pleased to see drivers are taking home the DRUNKS. Never had a issue at any R.I.D.E checkpoints in Toronto.

Glovl

My experience.

Have you been drinking
No
Have a good one

Surprised they talk more with other drivers..

racer26

I got stopped in 2 so far this Christmas season, both while online for Uber. Both while no pax on board. Both times "nope, working for uber". "You Uber in a tesla? Huh. Cool, have a good night"

LAS0023

Stopped twice. Once at a spotcheck on Kingston Road in Pickering and the second time coming out of a parking lot near Square One. The second one was just the police in their car pulling over every 2 or 3 cars. No spot check - new law apparently.

racer26

New law from the summer comes into force this week.

Police can now demand a roadside breathalyzer without requiring "reasonable suspicion" as it did before. That was why the officer at a ride check would get up in your grill - he was hunting for reasonable suspicion to justify the breathalyzer. Starting this week, he doesn't need the reasonable suspicion anymore - driving a car on a road is enough.

Historically this was seen as violating your right to be free from unreasonable search. I suspect that until the cops figure out how to use this new tool they're being given responsibly and for maximum utility, they'll just start breathalysing everyone at a ride check, leading to backed up traffic and such.

PapaPaul

Just be mindful of having alcohol bottles in the cabin. Thats one thing that could land rideshare drivers into trouble. Riders going to parties may have opened and unopened bottles on them without drivers awareness.
Answering 'not that i know of' and appealing to officers discretion should get you a pass. But if you see liqour bottles...wine..beer..etc
..best to store them in the trunk.