1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Female Uber drivers earn less than Men Uber Drivers

Discussion in 'News' started by Brooklyn, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Well-Known Member

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16980072/uber-driver-gender-earnings-gap-study

Men who drive for Uber earn roughly 7 percent more per hour than women, according to a new study that examined over a million Uber drivers. Women were found to earn $1.24 per hour less than men, and also $130 less per week on average, in part because they tend to drive fewer hours.

The study, which was released today, was a collaboration between the University of Chicago, Stanford University, and Uber’s own economic team. Researchers examined earnings data from over 1.8 million drivers, of which roughly 27 percent were women.

The results are surprising, given that Uber has long argued that its algorithms that determine how much drivers earn are supposed to be blind to things like race, gender, and sexuality. The technology, however, did not take into account differences in driver behavior, which can vary between men and women.

“Overall, our results suggest that, even in the gender-blind, transactional, flexible environment of the gig economy, gender-based preferences (especially the value of time not spent at paid work and, for drivers, preferences for driving speed) can open gender earnings gaps,” the study concludes.

In a blog post, Uber says the study produced “no evidence that outright discrimination, either by the app or by riders, is driving the gender earnings gap.”

Researchers attributed the earnings gap to a number of factors, including that male drivers were more likely to drive in higher paying locations, were more likely to drive faster, were more likely to accept trips with shorter distances to the rider, and were more likely to chose to drive longer trips

All of these are variables in the formula Uber uses to calculate driver wages, and the study showed they all tilted in men’s favor (the study claims men earn $21.28 an hour, on average). Women also have higher turnover on the platform, and more experienced drivers tend to get higher pay.

As a company, Uber has been scrutinized for a toxic workplace culture that allowed male engineers to get away with sexually harassing their female colleagues. But the disparity in pay among male and female drivers isn’t related to Uber’s corporate reputation, as much as its a result of driver behavior.

“So, I think when you look at our data, I think it’s actually a mixture of preferences,” John List, professor of economics at the University of Chicago, chief economist at Uber, and a lead author on the study, told Freakonomics. “Driving fast. But I also think it’s a mixture of constraints, and what I mean by that is men work more hours and take more trips than the average woman. So, why is that? Part of it is because women have more constraints — i.e, take the kid to school in the morning. Be responsible for taking Johnny to the soccer game. And I think those constraints then lead women to actually receive less experience and less learning-by-doing. So I think it’s actually a mixture of preferences and constraints. Now as policy makers, what we want to do is make sure that we can alleviate those constraints as much as possible.”

Stanford’s Rebecca Diamond said, “I think this is showing that the gender pay gap is not likely to go away completely anytime soon. Unless somehow, things in our broader society really change, about how men and women are making choices about their broader lives, than just the labor market.”

In the interview, Uber’s executives dismissed the notion of increasing the baseline pay of women drivers by 7 percent as “discriminatory.”

Dinoberra likes this.
  2. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Two things that really torque me about this:

In small print, earnings do not take into account Uber commission or expenses. So once again, they have found a way to get people excited into thinking they are going to make over $20 an hour.
    Did they make any attempt to correlate with time of day? I would guess (and I might be wrong) fewer female drivers work bar close which are the more lucrative hours. I make so much more at bar close than any other time of the day or night.

3. Brooklyn

They literally point it out in the article that they studied female drivers work fewer hours but somehow found a way to turn this into a story.

Women were found to earn $1.24 per hour less than men, and also $130 less per week on average, in part because they tend to drive fewer hours.

All of these are variables in the formula Uber uses to calculate driver wages, and the study showed they all tilted in men’s favor (the study claims men earn $21.28 an hour, on average).

They don't even know which direction they want to take the argument.

4. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

bull****. I have 3 female friends who drive and they kill it on tips b/c boobs and pathetic thirsty guys. Like at least double what I get.

Slim Pete, mrDEE630, d'Uber and 19 others like this.
  5. autofill

autofill Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    All these talks about having equality in pay but what about equality in whose paying the bills?

6. grayspinner

grayspinner Well-Known Member

It's so shocking to learn that women have more constraints on their schedule that make them drive less hours. I mean, who would think that generally women are the ones who are driving the kids to school & activities, doing the household errands, being the ones to stay home from work when kids are sick or school is closed? What an amazing discovery.

If only there was something society could do to reduce the domestic burdens on working women. Maybe what we need is affordable child care and better societal support for families. If only there were things we could do to reduce the amount of unpaid labor women are expected to provide for the family.

Perhaps this eye-opening study will shine a light on the struggles women with children have when they are in the workforce.

/sarcasm.

None of this is shocking at all - at least to people who aren't out of touch with reality

7. RedANT

RedANT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Many of us pay our own damn bills. Try again.

Do you honestly believe that having boobs is an advantage when driving for Uber? If anything, being female is a DISADVANTAGE because there are still a lot of guys longing for the days of "Leave It To Beaver" who think that we shouldn't be driving. (or that we're incompetent drivers)

d'Uber likes this.
  8. heynow321

Yes. My friend jokes all the time about how she gets much bigger tips when she doesn’t wear a bra. It is an asset, not a liability...At least when it comes to money.

mrDEE630 and maxefforts77 like this.

9. Skorpio

Skorpio Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  10. RedANT

RedANT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    She doesn't wear a bra when driving? WTF? If she's exposing herself to solicit cash "tips," that's not an asset as much as it is an example of unacceptable behavior.

Should it be acceptable to get paid more by exposing yourself to passengers?

11. heynow321

She can do whatever the hell she wants, it’s her business. A bartender can wear a Christmas sweater on a Friday night or she can wear a low-cut top and double her tips or more. It’s the exploitation of pathetic men. Entire industries are built around this. It’s not 1950 in Nebraska anymore

12. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

Nothing in the article compares the hours that women vs men work.

They should compare earnings from say, 9am to 6pm, instead of generalizing earnings for 9 hours when the men may be working busier times.

13. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

we all make the same rate per minute and mile

so it's #FakeNews

14. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

Agree.
    But what I am saying is some hours are typically more lucrative than others. Without taking that into account the conclusion of the article has no basis of reality.

Now if the article compared men's earnings vs women's for the same shift it would be more accurate.

d'Uber and maxefforts77 like this.
  15. empresstabitha

empresstabitha Well-Known Member

If you read the whole article it doesn't really amount to us earning less. Female drivers tend to work less hours. In other fields, yes, there is a disparity even after accounting for those factors. So, there really is no disparity.

maxefforts77 and MHR like this.
  16. Brooklyn

I know... my point in posting this was how ridiculous the claims are. To say women earn less WHILE stating that women work less hours AND the hours they work happen to be less lucrative is ******ed.

maxefforts77 likes this.

17. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    What a BS thread title. Every vehicle on every platform in every region makes the exact same dollar per mile and/or minute with the exception of some older drivers being grandfathered in at the 20% fee. Maybe male drivers work more late night bar crowds, events and the like to receive more surge. This is a perfect example of how the news and social media can easily influence the ignorant. Now there will be stupid people actually believing that male uber drivers charge more. Our society is becoming more pathetic by the minute.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3A09E8E6442E077407013A09E8E6442E077&FORM=VIRE

maxefforts77 and Ubering around like this.
  18. Brooklyn

The thread title was meant to be sarcastic. That’s why I pulled two quotes from the story in my next post where they literally contradicted the whole “pay gap” in their own story.

19. Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow. Shocking. You work fewer hours. You make less. Who knew?

Oh, wait. This has everything to do with Uber making sure it's male drivers get more fares then female drivers.

20. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    BREAKING NEWS....................

Many women are protesting at the steps of the Surgeon General's Office claiming unfairness as the male gender in the U.S. has a usually larger bowel movement then most females. Women are seen defecating and throwing stool at the office doors. One woman is holding a sign that reads "I want to be the biggest turd."

I shouldn't joke about this. We just may have some idiots in this country that will read my post and say "Really?"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018