1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Female drivers

Discussion in 'Advice' started by simply00complex, Sep 5, 2015.

1. simply00complex

simply00complex

Driving:
    UberX
    I searched for a thread and I'm surprised it doesn't exist. I figured we women should have our own thread.

So how many other female drivers are there and how do you handle the issues you face being a female driver?

For me, everyone is asking me if I feel safe doing this? Quite frankly, I respond with, "if I didn't feel safe doing this, I wouldn't be doing this." But I also feel that as a woman, we are raised to be on high alert all our lives. From a young age, our mothers teach us that we need to protect ourselves because we weak women and any big strong man is out to get us. So I carry pepper spray and I know basic self-defense moves. I also work as a manager in a restaurant and any night during one of my closing shifts, someone can come in wielding a gun demanding all the money. I actually feel safer doing Uber because everyone is tracked and logged. If a man were a predator, he'd be very stupid to target his Uber driver.

My roommate worries on the level of a mother and wants me to carry a taser and learn Krav Magaw from our friend, Jake, whereas my mother is happy I'm driving for Uber and making extra cash.

Also, what do you wear? I've read a dress code thread somewhere stating that Uber prefers men to wear a collared shirt and slacks, but I've never seen anything for women. I just wear nice jeans with no tears and a nice blouse. And upon my roommate's request, I don't wear skirts or anything easily rapeable, to be blunt about it.

I also keep my purse in the trunk.

2. I've never felt any concern. I'm in a small, university town though, so my attire of a college t shirt or sweatshirt and jeans or shorts would probably not be best in most markets. If I followed Uber's vode, passengers would hate it. I've actually been told by some that they're confused by the ones who wear a tie around here

3. Jvc21

Jvc21

Not a female, but Seems like you have the basics down on protecting yourself while driving!

I carry a maglite with me for defense purposes and to wake up drunks.

I have a female friend who's a driver that dresses like she's going out on a date, and she gets way more in tips, sometimes exceeding her fares for the evening. Not sure if that's for everyone, but I live in a smaller market.

Nagodesi and Jam Val like this.
  4. poopy

poopy

Driving:
    UberX
    Might wanna rethink the part about all Uber rider accounts being backed with solid traceable documentation.
    :(

Nagodesi and Uber Kraus like this.
  5. Uberectile Dysfunction

Uberectile Dysfunction

Driving:
    UberX
    Careful with that pepper spray, discharge it inside the vehicle and everyones getting a taste, but uh outside your solid

6. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    If anyone gives me the creeps, I will bail. Luckily, late at night I mostly get duo riders so I don't have to be alone with too often. I have pepper spray in my bra, money and debit card there too (lot of room in that thing). I get hesitant when it's real late and I have to go to a residential area on an unlit street.

I wear a blazer w/ tank or something like that. Oh and I keep my doors locked until the person I'm picking up verifies their name.

7. poopy

poopy

Driving:
    UberX
    Is that pepper spray in your bra,
    or is it just cold out?
    :eek:

8. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    I was activated in early July and have been active on this forum as well as studying the contract I agreed to. I begin driving next weekend as the proper insurance will be in place.

As a woman this is how I will handle myself.
    1) Install a duel lens dashcam.
    2) I will not unlock the door until I have verified the name.
    3) I am not driving aimlessly. Give me a destination or leave.
    4) I already keep a travel-sized can of hairspray in the driver's door pocket (not pepper spray).
    5) See if the local PD has orientation for cabbies I can attend.
    6) #1 rule for men . . . KEEP YOUR PAWS TO YOURSELF!
    7) Have a "bandit light" on my car
    8) I don't plan to work the graveyard shift.
    9) Always be aware of my surroundings.

My son (IT guy) knows how to keep track of me by searching for my IPhone.

I am not a young & sexy thing, and will go into "mother mode" very quickly.

Any other ideas welcome outside of "Don't do it!"

Just being me. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    HollyD, Webmaiden, Dana T and 2 others like this.
  9. Don't worry I've really never felt threatened, even in dc and I'm pretty young. Just keep your no nonsense attitude and you'll be fine

UberNorthStar likes this.
  10. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    I had the same attitude when I worked in a convenience store in the '90's. Heaven only knows how many kids I scared the heck out of when I took off after them during a beer run. I stopped while they kept running. Sometimes the kid would trip and you could hear the pkgs breaking open when the cans hit the sidewalk. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

11. simply00complex

simply00complex

Driving:
    UberX
    UberNorthStar, I like your idea with having hair spray.

Jedi Driver and UberNorthStar like this.
  12. SkinFairy

SkinFairy

Driving:
    UberX
    Good post! I'm a newbie and I look young so I'm coming in prepared. Have the pepper spray in my door and a camera on my phone, a little sign that says "Smile, Live Video is being recorded". I don't drive at night, mainly because I don't want to deal with obnoxious drunks. My attire is basically jeans and a cute top with tennis shoes (just in case I have to run for my life, lol). How do you ladies handle far destination points if you don't want to drive that far??

13. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    If it's more a solo female, I'm fine. If it's a solo dude, I don't wanna go to the boonies with them.

Jedi Driver and UberNorthStar like this.
  14. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    HollyD and SkinFairy like this.
  15. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    To the new ladies. . .

I keep hairspray (instead of pepperspray) in the car b/c who is going to question a woman carrying hairspray? As we know it stings our eyes like heck when we get it in our eyes. Pepper spray used inside an enclosed area can cause a hazmat situation so it has been posted.

Look inside your purses. Many everyday items in our purses can be used as weapons. :eek:

UNS:)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Jedi Driver likes this.
  16. BizyMom

BizyMom

I'm a 40-something mom and drive during the hours my daughter is in dance class. I keep my purse in her dance locker and have only my driver's license and insurance cards with me. The only valuable item with me is my phone.

I don't know that I want to pay the bucks to set up a dash cam for the very, very limited hours I will be working. I'm very new and have only had 5 drives so far. I definitely have the 'mom' vibe more than the 'hot girl' vibe. My oldest son is 21 and I'm in a college town, so I know how to chat and joke with the kids in a very 'mom' sort of way. Thus far, I haven't had the slightest concern. I did drive one older gentleman to the library and grocery store, but still, totally cool.

I do like the idea of a small hairspray and a heavy flashlight in the pocket of my door, though! I'll be doing that.

Also - can anyone tell me how to find the link to my partnership agreement? I first clicked it on my phone and the text was so tiny (40-something eyes!) that I thought I'd just read it at home on my computer and now I can't find how to get it.

I did go and opt out of the binding arbitration, though. :)

chi1cabby, UberNorthStar and Jam Val like this.
  17. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    chi1cabby and BizyMom like this.
  18. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    I understand not wanting to install a dash cam. In the past 2 years I have been in 2 accidents where insurance deemed me at fault. I question one of them. A front dash cam will help should I have an accident in the future.

I helped rear four children. A rear dash cam on the back seats would have helped with "Mommy s/he's bothering me!" Since I will be picking up strangers, this is another safety measure for me, not necessarily everyone. ;)

chi1cabby and BizyMom like this.
  19. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    Please excuse my lack of manners, BizyMom

Hi, BizyMom.

Welcome to the forum!

Please read your Partnership Agreement.

New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.

BizyMom and chi1cabby like this.
  20. Dana T

Dana T

Just curious, how many of you have ever driven professionally before? I have never. How did you feel picking up your very first ride?