• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Female drivers

I searched for a thread and I'm surprised it doesn't exist. I figured we women should have our own thread.

So how many other female drivers are there and how do you handle the issues you face being a female driver?

For me, everyone is asking me if I feel safe doing this? Quite frankly, I respond with, "if I didn't feel safe doing this, I wouldn't be doing this." But I also feel that as a woman, we are raised to be on high alert all our lives. From a young age, our mothers teach us that we need to protect ourselves because we weak women and any big strong man is out to get us. So I carry pepper spray and I know basic self-defense moves. I also work as a manager in a restaurant and any night during one of my closing shifts, someone can come in wielding a gun demanding all the money. I actually feel safer doing Uber because everyone is tracked and logged. If a man were a predator, he'd be very stupid to target his Uber driver.

My roommate worries on the level of a mother and wants me to carry a taser and learn Krav Magaw from our friend, Jake, whereas my mother is happy I'm driving for Uber and making extra cash.

Also, what do you wear? I've read a dress code thread somewhere stating that Uber prefers men to wear a collared shirt and slacks, but I've never seen anything for women. I just wear nice jeans with no tears and a nice blouse. And upon my roommate's request, I don't wear skirts or anything easily rapeable, to be blunt about it.

I also keep my purse in the trunk.

ginseng41

I've never felt any concern. I'm in a small, university town though, so my attire of a college t shirt or sweatshirt and jeans or shorts would probably not be best in most markets. If I followed Uber's vode, passengers would hate it. I've actually been told by some that they're confused by the ones who wear a tie around here

Jvc21

Not a female, but Seems like you have the basics down on protecting yourself while driving!

I carry a maglite with me for defense purposes and to wake up drunks.

I have a female friend who's a driver that dresses like she's going out on a date, and she gets way more in tips, sometimes exceeding her fares for the evening. Not sure if that's for everyone, but I live in a smaller market.

Jam Val

If anyone gives me the creeps, I will bail. Luckily, late at night I mostly get duo riders so I don't have to be alone with too often. I have pepper spray in my bra, money and debit card there too (lot of room in that thing). I get hesitant when it's real late and I have to go to a residential area on an unlit street.

I wear a blazer w/ tank or something like that. Oh and I keep my doors locked until the person I'm picking up verifies their name.

UberNorthStar

I was activated in early July and have been active on this forum as well as studying the contract I agreed to. I begin driving next weekend as the proper insurance will be in place.

As a woman this is how I will handle myself.
1) Install a duel lens dashcam.
2) I will not unlock the door until I have verified the name.
3) I am not driving aimlessly. Give me a destination or leave.
4) I already keep a travel-sized can of hairspray in the driver's door pocket (not pepper spray).
5) See if the local PD has orientation for cabbies I can attend.
6) #1 rule for men . . . KEEP YOUR PAWS TO YOURSELF!
7) Have a "bandit light" on my car
8) I don't plan to work the graveyard shift.
9) Always be aware of my surroundings.

My son (IT guy) knows how to keep track of me by searching for my IPhone.

I am not a young & sexy thing, and will go into "mother mode" very quickly.

Any other ideas welcome outside of "Don't do it!"

Just being me. :smiles:

Last edited:

ginseng41

I was activated in early July and have been active on this forum as well as studying the contract I agreed to. I begin driving next weekend as the proper insurance will be in place.

As a woman this is how I will handle myself.
1) Install a duel lens dashcam.
2) I will not unlock the door until I have verified the name.
3) I am not driving aimlessly. Give me a destination or leave.
4) I already keep a travel-sized can of hairspray in the driver's door pocket.
5) See if the local PD has orientation for cabbies I can attend.
6) #1 rule for men . . . KEEP YOUR PAWS TO YOURSELF!
7) Have a "bandit light" on my car
8) I don't plan to work the graveyard shift.
9) Always be aware of my surroundings.

My son (IT guy) knows how to keep track of me by searching for my IPhone.

I am not a young & sexy thing, and will go into "mother mode" very quickly.

Any other ideas welcome outside of "Don't do it!"

Just being me. :smiles:
Don't worry I've really never felt threatened, even in dc and I'm pretty young. Just keep your no nonsense attitude and you'll be fine

UberNorthStar

ginseng41 said:
Just keep your no nonsense attitude and you'll be fine
I had the same attitude when I worked in a convenience store in the '90's. Heaven only knows how many kids I scared the heck out of when I took off after them during a beer run. I stopped while they kept running. Sometimes the kid would trip and you could hear the pkgs breaking open when the cans hit the sidewalk. :smiles:

Thanks for the encouragement!

SkinFairy

Good post! I'm a newbie and I look young so I'm coming in prepared. Have the pepper spray in my door and a camera on my phone, a little sign that says "Smile, Live Video is being recorded". I don't drive at night, mainly because I don't want to deal with obnoxious drunks. My attire is basically jeans and a cute top with tennis shoes (just in case I have to run for my life, lol). How do you ladies handle far destination points if you don't want to drive that far??

Jam Val

Good post! I'm a newbie and I look young so I'm coming in prepared. Have the pepper spray in my door and a camera on my phone, a little sign that says "Smile, Live Video is being recorded". I don't drive at night, mainly because I don't want to deal with obnoxious drunks. My attire is basically jeans and a cute top with tennis shoes (just in case I have to run for my life, lol). How do you ladies handle far destination points if you don't want to drive that far??
If it's more a solo female, I'm fine. If it's a solo dude, I don't wanna go to the boonies with them.

UberNorthStar

To the new ladies. . .

I keep hairspray (instead of pepperspray) in the car b/c who is going to question a woman carrying hairspray? As we know it stings our eyes like heck when we get it in our eyes. Pepper spray used inside an enclosed area can cause a hazmat situation so it has been posted.

Look inside your purses. Many everyday items in our purses can be used as weapons. :eek:

UNS:smiles:

Last edited:

BizyMom

I'm a 40-something mom and drive during the hours my daughter is in dance class. I keep my purse in her dance locker and have only my driver's license and insurance cards with me. The only valuable item with me is my phone.

I don't know that I want to pay the bucks to set up a dash cam for the very, very limited hours I will be working. I'm very new and have only had 5 drives so far. I definitely have the 'mom' vibe more than the 'hot girl' vibe. My oldest son is 21 and I'm in a college town, so I know how to chat and joke with the kids in a very 'mom' sort of way. Thus far, I haven't had the slightest concern. I did drive one older gentleman to the library and grocery store, but still, totally cool.

I do like the idea of a small hairspray and a heavy flashlight in the pocket of my door, though! I'll be doing that.

Also - can anyone tell me how to find the link to my partnership agreement? I first clicked it on my phone and the text was so tiny (40-something eyes!) that I thought I'd just read it at home on my computer and now I can't find how to get it.

I did go and opt out of the binding arbitration, though. :smiles:

UberNorthStar

BizyMom said:
I don't know that I want to pay the bucks to set up a dash cam for the very, very limited hours I will be working. I'm very new and have only had 5 drives so far. I
I understand not wanting to install a dash cam. In the past 2 years I have been in 2 accidents where insurance deemed me at fault. I question one of them. A front dash cam will help should I have an accident in the future.

I helped rear four children. A rear dash cam on the back seats would have helped with "Mommy s/he's bothering me!" Since I will be picking up strangers, this is another safety measure for me, not necessarily everyone. :wink:

Dana T

Just curious, how many of you have ever driven professionally before? I have never. How did you feel picking up your very first ride?