• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Female Drivers - Safety Concerns???

Have you ever been frightened by a passenger?

• yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Dawggirl

I am asked all the time if I have concerns as a female driving alone. I haven't had any issues...yet. However, it is probably just a matter of time when that situation will arise. Of course I have had sketchy characters and guys who hit on me, but I can handle those things. I'm curious if there are lady drivers in the Seattle/Tacoma area who have encountered challenging situations and how you dealt with them. Any examples and/or advise???

Dawggirl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Halston

The one time in 7 months I felt threatened I threw it in park, got out of the car and said "get out". He got out, called me a "psycho @@@@@" and I took off. I still chuckle a little about him calling me that, cause when I feel threatened my first defense is to act like a psycho @@@@@! Lol

Dawggirl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
From what I've read female PAX with bad male drivers have had more dangerous/scary situations than female drivers.
I've heard of situations like this too. Pisses me off. Our riders should never feel harassed or afraid while in our vehicles.

The one time in 7 months I felt threatened I threw it in park, got out of the car and said "get out". He got out, called me a "psycho *****" and I took off. I still chuckle a little about him calling me that, cause when I feel threatened my first defense is to act like a psycho *****! Lol
Glad you are ok!!! Did you have any issues with Uber as a result?

Travis Bickle Uber

I've heard of situations like this too. Pisses me off. Our riders should never feel harassed or afraid while in our vehicles.
A lot of gay men hit on me. I told myself no matter how flirty a woman gets I won't ask her out. If she makes the move I will consider but I won't initiate. I don't want to be "that guy" that ruins it for women. In 2 months of driving I've been hit on by about a dozen gay men, asked out by 1 woman and asked to go upstairs by one woman. There are times where I could tell a woman wanted me to ask for her number at the end but not being 100% sure I don't want to be the guy who misinterpreted harmless banter and now someone feels uncomfortable.

heynow321

I'd bring mace with you simply to potentially level the playing field. I carry a fire arm but that's really for other stuff that I get nervous about (seen all kinds of sketchy stuff happen downtown that isn't related to ubering). In two years, I've only felt nervous for my own safety one time from ubering, albeit I'm a 6'1 male.

Honestly, I don't think we make good targets. Unless the person has a completely fraudulent account with a stolen credit card, there's just too much of a paper trail. They know we don't have cash so they'd likely just try to steal your car. Hopefully insurance would take care of that for you, not worth getting stabbed for it.

dimwit_driver

Hmm. I'd never felt unsafe from a passenger until last weekend, and the situation didn't arise from the male/female dynamic. I don't want to give identifiable details that Uber could use to discern my identity so I'm going to gloss over some of the particulars.

I picked up a drunk from a bar (like that never happens). He was slurring his speech, and clearly drunk, but in a happy mood and nothing I hadn't seen before. When I started the ride and saw the destination I was not happy: rural King County. A decent fare, but nothing but deadheading back. C'est la vie. He was so drunk he had problems working the seat belt. That finally stopped. A few minutes later I noticed he had passed out. This was about 10 minutes into the ride with another 20 to go. I seriously considered taking him back to where I had picked him up and dropping him off (by this time we were already in a location where it would have been cruel/unsafe for he to boot him). I went ahead and took him to his destination. It was rural. It was pitch black. I don't even know where I was. He was difficult to rouse. I had to get out of the car, open his door, and physically wake him up. He got out. He was drunk, but ok. As I walked around to the driver's side he pulled a 180 and went all Mr. Hyde. He became violent. I got back in my car and restarted it. Peeling out was not an option. I was on gravel. I didn't know if going forward would lead deeper onto this property with no way out, or if it led back to a paved road. He was also semi-attached to my car, so I had to make sure I didn't actually run him over. Had he done to my person what he was doing to my car I would have needed medical attention. This place was so remote that if I had been knocked unconscious ....well, you can figure that out for yourself.

I felt unsafe because this situation was unsafe. However, being female was not the problem. I could have been a male driver for all he cared. This was just someone who went from being a normal drunk to a belligerent and violent drunk in the blink of an eye. It happened in a remote, rural area where anything could happen and nobody would hear or notice. I did get out of there. The gravel road did lead back to a paved one (I was terrified I was going to have to make a u-turn and deal with him on the way out). I saw the nearest cops about 4-5 miles down the road so I was able to calculate the possible 911 response (I very nearly made that call).

My experiences with reporting anything to Uber have been that you always receive a cut and paste email back so I debated whether I should bother. Ultimately I did. Surprise, surprise I actually got a phone call. Said rider is now being investigated for removal from the Uber platform. If said rider is not removed, I won't be matched with him again.

The last three weekends I've had bad experiences with drunks, both male and female. It's to the point where I'm probably going to quit a lot earlier in the evening as I don't consider them worth the money.

Surgeless in Seattle

Jeeze... This question is probably tied with, "Is this your full time gig?" for frequency, with; "How much do you make?" as a close runner up.

If a macho type guy asks me this question I have been known to lock eyes with him as I ask, "No, should I be?" Some women are genuinely concerned and aren't asking out if desire to hear salacious details.

I would venture to guess the biggest threat we face is getting broadsided in an intersection. It has been my observation that gay men, as a whole, are a lot more aggressive.

If you're honestly concerned about your safety get a tazer. They have flashlight/tazer combinations that are small and innocuous. Clip it close to your steering wheel, perhaps pull the panel above your legs out far enough to allow you to stash it there. Practice turning the tazer feature on without looking. Practice swinging it over your shoulder at an imaginary person behind you. The sound and the sparks alone are enough to make almost anyone back off.

The way I look at it, society's norms spell it out very clearly that strangers are not allowed to touch women, let alone assault them. If a pax touches my arm they get "that" look/reaction and have always refrained from a second touch. My boundaries are very clear.

This is NOT Uber Tinder and I find it disgusting to hear of drivers using it as such. That is like drivers that allow 5 pax in an X, it sets wrong expectations.

Lots of female drivers in our market and on this board. It's great
At the woman's day event Brooke said Seattle was actually a couple percentage points below the national avg - I think at that time we were 9.something compared to a national avg just shy of 12%.

ETA - For Uber. Anecdotally I'd guess Lyft has a higher % of female drivers b

Smashup

Of course I have had sketchy characters and guys who hit on me, but I can handle those things.
With apologies and little else to add, this sentence made me think of this.

I don't want to be "that guy" that ruins it for women.
I used to think that too, especially after two wives left me for another woman. But cheer up, mate, they'll probably have worse than you!

Last edited:

Travis Bickle Uber

Jeeze... This question is probably tied with, "Is this your full time gig?" for frequency, with; "How much do you make?" as a close runner up.

If a macho type guy asks me this question I have been known to lock eyes with him as I ask, "No, should I be?" Some women are genuinely concerned and aren't asking out if desire to hear salacious details.

I would venture to guess the biggest threat we face is getting broadsided in an intersection. It has been my observation that gay men, as a whole, are a lot more aggressive.

If you're honestly concerned about your safety get a tazer. They have flashlight/tazer combinations that are small and innocuous. Clip it close to your steering wheel, perhaps pull the panel above your legs out far enough to allow you to stash it there. Practice turning the tazer feature on without looking. Practice swinging it over your shoulder at an imaginary person behind you. The sound and the sparks alone are enough to make almost anyone back off.

The way I look at it, society's norms spell it out very clearly that strangers are not allowed to touch women, let alone assault them. If a pax touches my arm they get "that" look/reaction and have always refrained from a second touch. My boundaries are very clear.

This is NOT Uber Tinder and I find it disgusting to hear of drivers using it as such. That is like drivers that allow 5 pax in an X, it sets wrong expectations.

At the woman's day event Brooke said Seattle was actually a couple percentage points below the national avg - I think at that time we were 9.something compared to a national avg just shy of 12%.

ETA - For Uber. Anecdotally I'd guess Lyft has a higher % of female drivers b
You mentioned you hate how drivers treat it as Uber Tinder. I'd appreciate your opinion here. Do you think if a female PAX askes out a male driver it is then OK to engage or is it best to just decline politely?

Surgeless in Seattle

You mentioned you hate how drivers treat it as Uber Tinder. I'd appreciate your opinion here. Do you think if a female PAX askes out a male driver it is then OK to engage or is it best to just decline politely?
Decline. Although considering your stated proclivity for dating passengers and women half your age ... I can only assume you're trolling for a debate. You won't get one from me because I am secure with stance on this one.

Travis Bickle Uber

Decline. Although considering your stated proclivity for dating passengers and women half your age ... I can only assume you're trolling for a debate. You won't get one from me because I am secure with stance on this one.
No trolling here. And wasn't looking to get into a debate. I don't know how I feel either way on the subject. I appreciate your opinion. Was looking for peoples opinions and I'll be making my decision accordingly. Not here to waste people's time with a personal debate of my own agenda.

I do want to clear up some misunderstandings. I've never once went on a date with a PAX. I shared what has been offered to me and apologize if it implied that's what I also have done. I have yet to accept an invitation from a PAX.

Secondly I don't want to reveal too much about my identity here but I don't know why you think I date women half my age? All I will say is I'd never date anyone under 23 and my age range is somewhere between 25-35.

As the old saying goes don't s--- where you eat. Do all that other stuff in your free time.
I agree that's a great adage. When I go out I don't really get hit on without first approaching someone. Its kind of blowing my mind how driving uber is the setting where women have been flirting and even propositioned once. My brain says bad idea I agree. But I'm just not used to being asked out so forwardly that I at least wanted to think first before deciding how to handle in future.

Kater Gator

I'm a woman driver. Been driving 2+ years now mostly just weekends. I am happy to say that I've never had a really bad situation. Plenty of intoxicated jerks, but nothing really out of line. Of course I'm a 65 year old gray haired granny so I think riders might behave a little better with me than some younger gals and guys. I've never kicked anyone out of my car but probably picked up a few that I shouldn't have (like drunk female who passed out and peed on my back seat.) I swear 99% of my riders have been pretty nice people.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Nope, no concerns here:
IMG_20170225_003852.jpg

Of course my night would be over and my car off to the detailer but whatevs....It def won't get jacked.

Halston

Glad you are ok!!! Did you have any issues with Uber as a result?
Just the usual...when I made the report I already stated "please do not match me with this pax again" so Uber wouldn't have to go to all of the effort of asking. Lol