Feels like Uber is stabbing me in the back instead of having my back

Sub Guy

So, this occurred on early Sunday Morning (1:34 AM). Get a call for a pickup and the bar is in the corner of a strip mall with lots of pickups going on and a very narrow driving lane. So I see 3 parking spots open and back into one to try and locate my ride. (I drive a stick). Gear box in neutral and parking brake set. See a guy stumbling around trying to find is Uber driver. checks with the young lady in the lane infront of me (my picture is me, grey hair and all) but I eventually determine that this is "ROCKY" my pax. Opens the front door starts to get in and sees someone he HAS to tell something to. tries to walk over to them and runs square into the door edge on. Stumbles around in a circle holding his hand and cursing and then asks if that was him or me. I told him, all him as I am in neutral and park. His hand is bleeding slightly. We pull away and I get air noise from the door. I lower the window and put it back up and it mostly disappears.

Drive ROCKY to his destination, and go off line (right at the busiest part of the night) to file a report with Uber. No answer by the end of the night. This morning UBER Help has resolved my issue.

"Thank you for reporting this incident. How are you doing? Is everyone okay?

From here, you'll need to reach out to your commercial insurance carrier if you would like to initiate a claim. Please note that we may provide your insurance policy information to a third party if they wish to file a claim regarding this incident. Thanks again for letting us know about this."

Maybe I am misinformed, but I would expect Uber Insurance to initiate a claim. My commercial insurance does not cover me while ubering, (but theirs does?). Not sure how I would even try and submit a claim with my insurance since I have very little of the information on "Rocky". But if Rocky wants to file a claim against me they will provide my insurance data to his company? What the heck!?

Last edited:

Fuzzyelvis

So, this occurred on early Sunday Morning (1:34 AM). Get a call for a pickup and the bar is in the corner of a strip mall with lots of pickups going on and a very narrow driving lane. So I see 3 parking spots open and back into one to try and locate my ride. (I drive a stick). Gear box in neutral and parking brake set. See a guy stumbling around trying to find is Uber driver. checks with the young lady in the lane infront of me (my picture is me, grey hair and all) but I eventually determine that this is "ROCKY" my pax. Opens the front door starts to get in and sees someone he HAS to tell something to. tries to walk over to them and runs square into the door edge on. Stumbles around in a circle holding his hand and cursing and then asks if that was him or me. I told him, all him as I am in neutral and park. His hand is bleeding slightly. We pull await and I get air noise from the door. I lower the window and put it back up and it mostly disappears.

Drive ROCKY to his destination, and go off line (right at the busiest part of the night) to file a report with Uber. No answer by the end of the night. This morning UBER Help has resolved my issue.

"Thank you for reporting this incident. How are you doing? Is everyone okay?

From here, you'll need to reach out to your commercial insurance carrier if you would like to initiate a claim. Please note that we may provide your insurance policy information to a third party if they wish to file a claim regarding this incident. Thanks again for letting us know about this."

Maybe I am misinformed, but I would expect Uber Insurance to initiate a claim. My commercial insurance does not cover me while ubering, (but theirs does?). Not sure how I would even try and submit a claim with my insurance since I have very little of the information on "Rocky". But if Rocky wants to file a claim against me they will provide my insurance data to his company? What the heck!?
No car damage? Unless someone was filming him stumbling around I would have not reported anything and denied denied denied. He must have injured it after you dropped him off.

Sub Guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I experienced some intermittent noise from the door that I didn't have before. Very much speed and road surface dependent. No visible damage to the door and window fully lowers and raises but he still may have "sprung" the door hinge. I will have the car looked at tomorrow but if it turns out the door is damaged I wanted to have a report on record.

I_Like_Spam

Maybe I am misinformed, but I would expect Uber Insurance to initiate a claim.

This is what insurance companies do, they try to pass off a liability to someone else.

In this case, just in my opinion, Uber is right. They certainly aren't responsible for some drunk injuring himself, and their insurance company shouldn't have to pay for it. If the drunk sues them, I'm sure their insurance company will go to bat for them, but they really shouldn't have to.

Sub Guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
my concern was for possible damage done to my car door, frankly I cared only little for the passenger "hurting himself due to his own actions".

Update: Uber has sent me an incident form to fill out and a rep from the insurance company will contact me in the next 2-3 days.....in the meantime, until I turn in the form as well as well lit photos of all four sides of my vehicle, I have been deactivated since the possible damage to my vehicle may not make it worthy to be used as an Uber Platform.....

Thank you Uber, may I have another?!

UPDATE: Well, turned the form in and they even sent me a record copy for myself. My account was reactivated after sending in the required photos. Further inspection of the car has revealed no damage to the car (believe the window may have temporarily been knocked out of place but reset after cycling window). Played phone tag with the rep from James River Insurance. left her a message saying I have no claimable damage.

Keep getting a dual email everyday (Sun-Tues so far). First email has a form for me to complete and sign but it is the form I filled out on Sunday and all of the fields are filled in with the info I submitted. Right after it is another email with a blank form for me to fill out.

email says you can't reply to that email as it is an un-monitored account and if there are any difficulties send an email to [email protected]; BUT.... that account is no longer active and receiving emails. If you need help you must go through the app and the help option there. I should be used to the incompetence of Uber by now but I still get surprised how bad they are.