• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Federal employees turning to Uber, Lyft to make ends meet

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
Screenshot_20190111-104134~2.jpg

Friday marks the first day that more than 800,000 federal workers will not a get paycheck as the partial government shutdown over funding a border wall rolls into Day 21.

And, many workers who are in limbo are reportedly turning to Uber and Lyft for work and it’s making resident ride-sharing drivers very upset.

According to a local ABC7 News report,Opens a New Window. the shutdown is causing D.C.’s ride-sharing business to come to a screeching halt.

Screenshot_20190111-104107~2.jpg

Ride-share diver Nate Murrell told the outlet that since the partial government shutdown started, more federal workers have turned into drivers causing existing drivers to lose revenue.

"With the government shutdown, you have more people working for the government doing Uber, and for the full-time Uber drivers, that is really affecting us too, and our money,” Murrell said.

Cliff Monroe, another resident ride-sharing driver in the area, added that over the last three weeks, business has completely slowed as its “bread and butter” comes from not only tourists but from federal workers themselves.

While a spokesperson for Uber declined to comment on the uptick, Lyft released a statement saying that it “understands the stress the current government shutdown is placing on furloughed employees and their families and encourage those in need of extra income to consider driving with Lyft.”

Over the last few weeks, many federal workers have been sharing their storiesOpens a New Window. of trying to keep afloat among one of the longest government shutdowns in U.S. history. Many of them said they have been seeking loans, applying for unemployment and looking for other jobs as they can’t afford to miss one paycheck.

Rachael Weatherly, a senior adviser for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told U.S. News & World Report that she is trying to get a job at a grocery store to make ends meet.

The shutdown, which began on Dec. 22, is over a disagreement between Trump and Congressional Democrats over the funding of his proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

On Wednesday, Trump vowed to continue the partial shutdown after walking out of a government-shutdown meeting with Democrats.

The president tweeted, "Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/federal-employees-turning-to-uber-lyft-to-make-ends-meet

Mista T

Author
Not only is business slower (fewer federal workers as customers) but now some of those same workers are fresh competition!

Glad I'm fairly removed from being a "government-heavy" city.

On the bright side, those workers will get a taste of how challenging it can be to make money doing this, and may gain an appreciation for drivers. This could be a long term benefit once they go back to work.

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not only is business slower (fewer federal workers as customers) but now some of those same workers are fresh competition!
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Competition!
Plus today I watched a news story of a federal worker and a single mother of 3 who was going to have to sell her car to keep a roof over her head and food on the table.......until that money runs out. Then she doesn't know what she will do.

New2This

I'm in Ground Zero for this shit. I sometimes do strategic DF trips in afternoon rush hour from downtown D.C. A lot are federal employees. It sucks

Uber's Guber

Meanwhile, 3rd world ants have continued to come illegally into the US and receive driver licenses to drive for Uber while overcrowding our schools and emergency rooms and eating on food stamps, thanks to the US taxpayers, but’s that’s never been a crises. It was never a crises when Americans were losing their jobs during Obama’s tenure, but now it’s doomsday when fed workers miss one paycheck (which they’ll receive when the Gov reopens). Democrats love spending money, 5 billion is pocket change to these people. Politicians have been discussing the border for 30 years, it’s time to fix it. Enough of the fake news, I worked for the feds and I can tell you many of those positions are not needed — nonessential employees indeed!!

JaredJ

Meanwhile, 3rd world ants have continued to come illegally into the US and receive driver licenses to drive for Uber while overcrowding our schools and emergency rooms and eating on food stamps, thanks to the US taxpayers, but’s that’s never been a crises. It was never a crises when Americans were losing their jobs during Obama’s tenure, but now it’s doomsday when fed workers miss one paycheck (which they’ll receive when the Gov reopens). Democrats love spending money, 5 billion is pocket change to these people. Politicians have been discussing the border for 30 years, it’s time to fix it. Enough of the fake news, I worked for the feds and I can tell you many of those positions are not needed — nonessential employees indeed!!
Nearly every driver in Houston is 1st Gen Nigerian, Puerto Rican, Middle Eastern.

Mista T

Author
Plus today I watched a news story of a federal worker and a single mother of 3 who was going to have to sell her car to keep a roof over her head and food on the table.......until that money runs out. Then she doesn't know what she will do.
I have been an independent contractor for the past 29 years. Occasionally someone will ask if I ever wished that I had gone the route of having a 'regular' job, seeing as how I would have more job security. My response is that job security is an illusion! The only way your job is secure is if you are irreplacable, and if that is the case then you will make 10x more money being independent! I don't care how strong the union is or how long you've been on the job.... government workers get laid off; when big companies cut back even union workers feel the pinch. Just ask the steelworkers in Pittsburgh who are still wondering when the government is going to bail them out, or the auto workers every time a plant shuts down.

Christinebitg

today I watched a news story of a federal worker and a single mother of 3 who was going to have to sell her car to keep a roof over her head and food on the table.......until that money runs out. Then she doesn't know what she will do.
I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who haven't bothered to set up a suitable size emergency fund.

And that's what this is. She's saying she didn't even have a month of savings, to make sure she could pay her rent or mortgage.

Christine

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who haven't bothered to set up a suitable size emergency fund.
That's the other thing. The news said she was a 20 year employee. That should mean not only should she have a nest egg, she should have been prepared for this because in the past 20 years, how many other government shut downs have we had??:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Christinebitg

That's the other thing. The news said she was a 20 year employee. That should mean not only should she have a nest egg, she should have been prepared for this because in the past 20 years, how many other government shut downs have we had??:rolleyes:
Dang, that was a quick response. You got it before I edited my typo. :wink:

Obviously the two of us both have way too much free time.

nutzareus

I have ZERO sympathy for federal employees who are supposedly living paycheck to paycheck. As I posted in the DC sub forum, once they becomes employees they are automatically enrolled in Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) with 3% pre-tax deducted from each check to retirement fund. Poor financial planning if you ask me.