Uber Drivers Forum banner

Federal Budget 2017 uber to collect gst

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Billyboi 
#1 · (Edited)
As uber now has to pay gst I believe all uber drivers will have to register for a gst number and submit gst collected. This means even if you make under $30,000 a year you still will need to claim all earnings this year on your income tax as government will now know how much you made ubering. The government wants its gst quarterly.

#4 · (Edited)
Um, I think you misunderstood. Taxi and limousine drivers have been required to have a HST/GST number probably since these taxes were introduced, and are required to collect and remit it on EVERY dollar earned. There is a $30,000 threshold, which until now Uber drivers, as long as they were under it, made them exempt. This budget changes that. In typical Uber fashion, I expect now we will be collecting and remitting and it will now be part of our tax returns. Uber won't do it, it will be the drivers responsibility. Uber will still take it's cut directly offshore like usual.
OK, I won't bother editing out my mistake. In Quebec as ladydriven states, Uber collects and remit on the drivers behalf. But, we will all still require Gst numbers.

#5 · (Edited)
Uber drivers in Quebec all had to get gst numbers and have to submit gst now. I would think uber will have the same policy across board, they collect it, submit it on behalf of the driver and once a year they give driver a statement as to how much was paid so driver can claim gst credits but government is now aware of how much you made as an uber driver so will expect to see this reflected on your personnel income tax as income. No more not claiming it as income.

#6 ·
Uber drivers in Quebec all had to get gst numbers and have to submit gst now. I would think uber will have the same policy across board, they collect it, and give it to the driver at some point and the driver submits it to the government, this way the government knows exactly how much each individual driver is making.
what a waste of time. .. Uber collecting it and then giving it to the drivers and have them submit it. Why couldn't a Uber just submit it to govt?

#7 ·
they submit it on behalf of driver and give you a statement once a year from uber so you can claim gst credits which by the way most of that money, if not all you should get back if you claim for it a a small business owner. But you will have to start keep all gas receipts, car wash receipts etc. If you only drive for uber for a few months and only make around the average of $3500. as an uber driver its only $175.00 the accountant will charge you more to do the paper work to get that back.

#9 ·
Remember Uber is in Ontario and Que as well they have provincial sales tax to be collected as well. In ontario it's 13 % HST , I can't see drivers in Ontario taking a 13% cut in pay to pay this out of their own pockets. Uber would lose too many drivers if drivers had to pay it and did not get it collected. Uber clearly is not happy about having to collect it and so just told Toronto drivers they are negotiating with the Federal Government to try to come to some sort of an agreement as according to uber they are not a taxi company but an innovative technology company. They have two months to comply

#11 ·
If you make under $30,000 you do not need a GST number i phoned CRA period....Someone tells me if it has changed i phoned june 18/18
Grey bull,

All the above posts are old and BS.

If you have signed up to be a Uber driver then you will need to register with CRA for a GST account and get a business number which Uber will require from you.
Uber collects the GST from the riders and gives it to you weekly on your Pay Statement.
You will need to save this in a separate bank account for simplicity because at year end you will have to remit it to CRA minus your input tax credits, that is all the GST that you paid out in operating as a Uber driver.. Go to the CRA website and it is all explained there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.