1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

FBI investigates Uber

Discussion in 'News' started by Doowop, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Doowop

Doowop Well-Known Member

2. MHR

MHR Well-Known Member

Can you highlight points in the story? I couldn't read for free.

nash801 and tohunt4me like this.
  3. Doowop

Doowop Well-Known Member

Uber Faces FBI Probe Over Program Targeting Rival Lyft
    Investigators looking at whether Uber’s defunct ‘Hell’ internal program was used to interfere illegally with competitors
    Federal law-enforcement authorities in New York are investigating whether Uber Technologies Inc. used software to interfere illegally with its competitors, according to people familiar with the investigation, adding to legal pressures facing the embattled ride-hailing company and its new chief executive.
    The investigation, led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s New York office and the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office, is focused on a defunct Uber program, known internally as “Hell,” that could track drivers working for rival service Lyft Inc., the people said.
    But people familiar with the matter said “Hell” worked like this: Uber created fake Lyft customer accounts, tricking Lyft’s system into believing prospective customers were seeking rides in various locations around a city. That allowed Uber to see which Lyft drivers were nearby and what prices they were offering for various routes, similar to how such information appears when an authentic Lyft app is opened on a user’s smartphone, these people said.
    The program was also used to glean data on drivers who worked for both companies, and whom Uber could target with cash incentives to get them to leave Lyft, said these people, who added that the program was discontinued last year.
    The battle to attract and retain drivers has been critical for Uber’s and Lyft’s growth, particularly as the two venture-backed firms now compete in every major U.S. metropolitan area and users can easily switch between the two apps to find a quicker pickup or cheaper ride. Uber has taken pains of late to appease drivers’ concerns, adding a tipping option that it had long resisted and making other tweaks to its app.

tohunt4me, koyotemohn and MHR like this.
  4. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Uber " GOD VIEW"
    Uber " HELL".

Maybe one day
    Uber Computer Geeks
    Can design a REVOLUTIONARY PROGRAM
    Called Uber " PAYS"!

5. NHDriver

NHDriver Well-Known Member

Maybe that is why my Lyft app keeps closing for no reason when I have them both open at the same time....

My uber app rarely goes offline.

tohunt4me, nash801 and Rakos like this.

6. ABC123DEF

ABC123DEF Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber PAYS = Uber Pockets All Your Salary

7. TNCMinWage

TNCMinWage Well-Known Member

I run 4 rideshare apps on my phone with no issues. Its a bandwidth or memory thing on your end, not some trickery.

8. NHDriver

NHDriver Well-Known Member

iPhone 7 with 64GB? Usually 4 o5 bars of reception? doubt that's it. no other app crashes, i get disconnected from Lyft several times a day with 5 bar reception.

nash801 likes this.
  9. TNCMinWage

Ok...well I don't. So I don't see this as some conspiracy against you from Uber.

10. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The "hell" program seems legitimate. Businesses spy on their competitors all the time. Ppl from K-mart shop at Wal-Mart with the intent of gathering market information. I use my apps to see who is where and how many ants are in an area. Not illegal or immoral. Welcome to the technology age.

NoDay likes this.
  11. TNCMinWage

Everyone checks apps for better placement. But everyone doesn't book fake rides to occupy drivers - that's outside competitive boundaries. And sending them higher priced rides to lure them away probably violates some sort of local TNC policy about fairness, but who knows.

MoreTips likes this.
  12. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It might violate a rule or law somewhere. Just like every other business.....i am sure Lyft has pulled stunts too. Hillary Clinton broke every law in the book without consequences. Why should uber be hassled over this.

13. NoDay

NoDay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Are you saying Uber's husband 'did not have sexual relations with that woman'? And is thus above the law? Travis is starting to make sense. Get rid of him, hire a young woman who can fit in a pants suit. OMG this makes sense now!

Seriously though, its not like Uber is the only one doing this. I imagine many other companies in gig economics do this type of thing all the time. Having a program actively monitoring it with algorithms might be the only kicker though.
    This would be like if Amazon had built systems to monitor hundreds of sites at once to make sure the price is on point. - oh wait...

14. TNCMinWage

I suppose I want them to be hassled because they exploit drivers with such low pay. No other reason than that. I suppose even before I started driving, years ago when I heard about Uber booking false rides on Lyft, I did feel they were scumbags even then. Now my feelings are just magnified.

15. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Uber KNOWS when your Lyft app. Is on.

You can even manipulate your Uber app. With it if you are inquisitive and experimental . . .