Favorite music to play while driving?

EmOinDallas

I have Slacker in my car and play Café Acoustic most of the time, but will surf around and usually land on Classic Soft Hits, Soft Hits, Amos Lee, Smooth Jazz, Lady Gaga radio or favorites radio (compilations of things I've favorited). I also occasionally play a couple personal Playlists that I've made...Roadtrip and Cocktails...both have a wide variety of tunes over a spread of years and genres.

I have a varied taste in music myself, but try to keep it clean and neutral with the volume fairly low so they can talk on phone or to another pax.

I've yet to score the "Awesome Music" badge...lolz!, but have heard a few pax sing along and a couple have said they like the music.

I've thought about playing one of the comedy stations...Jim Gaffigan, Brian Regan, Kathleen Madigan, etc type stuff...clean stuff, so won't offend.

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
I tried comedy and it didn't work for me. I'd love to hear your results as well as the results of others on that topic.

MHR

I use Amazon music now. One member here pointed out that if you have Prime you get Amazon music for free.

If there’s a “fest” or party atmosphere going on in town I’ll play 70’s party music, Commodores, Le Chic, Rick James, stuff like that. The older crowd loves it. Who doesn’t love the song September? The younger girls love it too.

For a load of boys I’ll use Summer BBQ rock. Kid Rock, Lit, Uncle Kracker, has a bit more rock vibe to it.

I actually got 1 music badge when I still had my free year of Sirius and forgot I had been jamming to IceT’s (have been corrected, it’s LL Cool J’s) Rock the Bells channel. NOT family friendly so I’d turn it off before pax got in but I forgot one time.

If it’s just an average day I stick with something innocuous such as Cozy, Calm, Crafternoon.

Last edited:

Mista T

Author
Favorite music to play is MY music! I keep it 'inside voices' volume. When a song comes on with a lot of profanity, I quickly change it. Never get any complaints (about music).

Note: for my first 5,000 rides or so I would religiously turn OFF music when pax entered vehicle. That was never a problem either, ever.

btone31

Rock the Bells channel is LL Cool J's channel, not Ice-T.

Far as when I'm working, I play my music. R&B for the older people or others who don't look like they listen to hip hop (I know, assuming). For the hipsters, I play classic hip hop. All songs clean version though.

EmOinDallas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If there’s a “fest” or party atmosphere going on in town I’ll play 70’s party music, Commodores, Le Chic, Rick James, stuff like that. The older crowd loves it. Who doesn’t love the song September? The younger girls love it too.
I'm a big fan of the 70's 'cuz that is my era...graduated H.S. in '79. I listen to 70's music all the time. Like you, I try to match the music with the pax...especially if it's a party atmosphere. If they're going to a concert...I will play that artist's music/station.

MHR

Rock the Bells channel is LL Cool J's channel, not Ice-T.

Far as when I'm working, I play my music. R&B for the older people or others who don't look like they listen to hip hop (I know, assuming). For the hipsters, I play classic hip hop. All songs clean version though.
Thanks for the correction :smiles:

DollarFree

Sirius XM, various stations. So long as they keep letting me have it half price. Just paid $5/mth more to Verizon for u/l data so might start streaming various Slacker or 181.fm streams for a change.

XM stations have such boring playlists, wish their programmers would listen to Slacker sometime to get a few ideas.

Amazon playslists are so short and it seems to me they start at the beginning again if you leave or pause them. Also they “randomize the order” then play in the exact same order every time.

Anytime pax starts singing along I change the station.
Only kidding, I turn it up a notch to keep them happy.

MHR

One of the things bothered me about XM was they were so slow to rotate their playlists, even on the comedy stations. Over and over, the same songs and bits. To me it became as annoying as listening to commercial radio.

Coachman

We have a public radio station here in DFW that play mostly indie music and a mix of classic rock (Stones), 80s (Depeche Mode), with a little Johnny Cash mixed in. They have Acoustic Cafe at 10pm with artist interviews and Latin Night on Sundays. All commercial free. I've never gotten the Music Badge but I have a lot of riders who ask me about the station. I keep it turned down low.

EmOinDallas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have a public radio station here in DFW that play mostly indie music and a mix of classic rock (Stones), 80s (Depeche Mode), with a little Johnny Cash mixed in. They have Acoustic Cafe at 10pm with artist interviews and Latin Night on Sundays. All commercial free. I've never gotten the Music Badge but I have a lot of riders who ask me about the station. I keep it turned down low.
What station? I rarely listen to the radio other than The Ticket. Sounds like my kinda music

Danny3xd

I've been on a Pandora kick lately. Weeks ago I asked for a particular Harry Cheapen song and it's been on "Harry Cheapen Radio" since. Simon and Garfunkel, Joni Mitchel, Joan Baez and similar. Haven't heard the same song twice and for a freebie, not bad with commercials.

But most important and above all else. I have a music badge. Nananananaaa

snicker

Gilby

Note: for my first 5,000 rides or so I would religiously turn OFF music when pax entered vehicle. That was never a problem either, ever.
That is my procedure. I never have the radio turned on when there is a passenger in the vehicle. And I have never had a complaint or a request for music.

mbd

got to have songs that pax has listened to,early in his or her life..cannot have obscure great music that they have never listened to.
You have to listen to any song , few times, before you get hooked on it.
So don't try obscure great songs
You can play great classical , 4 seasonsVivaldi..1 out of 25 will know it.
Maybe a music major.
Hotel California is a must.. from the hood to the mansions, they all know hotel California
Dancing queen
Simon and Garfunkel, sound of silence

Ashoor

I've yet to score the "Awesome Music" badge...lolz!, but have heard a few pax sing along and a couple have said they like the music.
Yep, same here. I think that is simply because the music badge is the last one so most people miss it.

I have a simple rule: for late night, when picking up people from late work shift ms it even parties, where you know they are tired, I play classical music or Jazz.

If it is a younger group of riders, going to a club, then I play dance music mixes from the radio.

Rushmanyyz

I have custom play lists and impeccably broad music tastes and I'm a pro at reading people. I play what I want. Sometimes it's oldies. Sometimes it's hip hop. Hell, I played Marilyn Manson for a 65 year old woman and got a compliment (granted I totally screwed up).

It's less about what you play and more about the power you give your customers. If they think you care about them, life will be better than not.