Fare's below the Minimum Fare?

WBdriving

I know I'm in Boston forum but this is a little more towards Western Mass.

Has anyone else notice that uber has been charging pax less then the Minimum Fare: $5.80? I've seen 4.85, 4.00, 4.42. I've literally made less then if they would have just cancelled.

WestSubDriver

Have you taken into account the Service Fee? Our minimum fare is the published Minimum Fare less Uber's Service Fee.

WBdriving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They're telling me it's correct.

How many miles and minutes are included in the minimum fare?

Veal66

There are current promo deals going on where the rider pays 50% only. For example, I gave one guy a short ride this morning for the minimum. I got paid a net of $4 (6.15 minimum fare - 1.15 service fee) x 80%. The rider only paid $3.07 for the ride (6.15 x 50%).

WBdriving

For this trip, the gross fare you received was $6.78 and the minimum fare was$5.80. However, the net fare you received was $4.98 after deducting the Uber fee and the Booking fee based on your city regulations. The Uber fee for your city is 25%.

I’ve also included the fare breakdown below so that you can take a look:

Base Fare: $1.30
Distance (Miles): 2.67 mi * $0.90 = $2.40
Time: 11:37 * $0.11 = $1.28
Booking Fee: $1.80
Total Fare = $6.78

It would seem to make the most sense that either no time or mileage would be included in the minimum fare or only one mile and the rest added to the minimum fare. Or is that just me?

WBdriving

There are current promo deals going on where the rider pays 50% only. For example, I gave one guy a short ride this morning for the minimum. I got paid a net of $4 (6.15 minimum fare - 1.15 service fee) x 80%. The rider only paid $3.07 for the ride (6.15 x 50%).
We don't have any deals that I know of yet or any Uber Pool.

WBdriving

Another example on Sunday night I took these two fares right after one another.

At 4:03 am and 4:19 am both uberx I drove the first one for 7m 21s for 2.57 miles for $3.31 take home and the other one I drove 2m 19s for .55 miles for $3.00. I drove for 5 minutes longer and over 2 miles further for a total take home of $0.31 more. The math doesn't seem to add up where three little trips would not only save me time but also net me $5.69 more then the one longer trip.

Veal66

Another example on Sunday night I took these two fares right after one another.

At 4:03 am and 4:19 am both uberx I drove the first one for 7m 21s for 2.57 miles for $3.31 take home and the other one I drove 2m 19s for .55 miles for $3.00. I drove for 5 minutes longer and over 2 miles further for a total take home of $0.31 more. The math doesn't seem to add up where three little trips would not only save me time but also net me $5.69 more then the one longer trip.
Doing the math, using your rates, minimum fare, and service fee, your first ride does calc out to $3.32, if Uber's cut is 25%. Doing the math for the second one, if there was no minimum fare, you would have received only $1.54. Because it calc's out under the minimum, Uber bumps it up. (min fare 5.80 - service fee 1.80) = 4.00 less 25% = 3.00

WBdriving

Doing the math, using your rates, minimum fare, and service fee, your first ride does calc out to $3.32, if Uber's cut is 25%. Doing the math for the second one, if there was no minimum fare, you would have received only $1.54. Because it calc's out under the minimum, Uber bumps it up. (min fare 5.80 - service fee 1.80) = 4.00 less 25% = 3.00
Thanks Veal. I guess one would expect the minimum to be the starting point and then everything else added to the fare as you went along (time/distance). How can a cancellation fee be more then an actual fare? I get paid $3.00 or $3.31 to drive them around or get paid $3.75 if they cancel.

Veal66

Thanks Veal. I guess one would expect the minimum to be the starting point and then everything else added to the fare as you went along (time/distance). How can a cancellation fee be more then an actual fare? I get paid $3.00 or $3.31 to drive them around or get paid $3.75 if they cancel.
I hear you. Cancel fee of 5.00 less Uber's 25% = 3.75. A while back the cancel fee in Boston was $10 if you waited 5 minutes and the rider was a no show. Cleared $8 for each of those. That was nice. Not anymore.

BillyTheKidd

There have been these promo deals been going on all summer. I have received offers of 50% off 3 different times and 75% off one time. Each time was a max discount of $10. Uber is creating false demand.

jack badly

It has happened to me a few times.

I had two trips with the same mileage but one trip ended 5 minutes longer than the other. The trip with the 5 minutes longer ended up being lower fare between the two.

WBdriving

They claim that my fares are correct, but wont say what the minimum fare includes for time/mileage. One would think minimum fare would be just booking the trip with all the time and miles added to that fare, 2 miles $1.80 added to the $5.80 minimum fare. It doesn't seem to make the most sense to me but apparently such simply math isn't their strong suite :p

Veal66

...but wont say what the minimum fare includes for time/mileage.
I think this is where you are getting hung up. Uber's process is this.
1. A ride happens: Base fare + per/mile + per/minute = total fare.
2. Uber checks: is the total fare from Step 1 less or more than the minimum fare?
If more - go with the calculated fare.
If less - go with the minimum fare.

uberlyfer

It's probably best to track your actual time and distance yourself in your own app, then just do the math. I have heard people on here saying they're being shorted miles before, but not sure those threads went anywhere. I see more complaints about tolls not being reimbursed.