• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Fare Cut

PingMan

Hello fellow Daytonians, looks like uber has finally done it to our market and dropped our Fare by 20%. Sucks! Below is the old and new rates

Old. New.

Base
$2.00 $1.40

Per Mile
$1.40 $1.20

Per Min
$0.30. $0.18

Min Fare
$5.00. $4.00

Zoom

I got a kick out of the email explaining how this will raise earnings. Even if it does result in more passengers it's $$ per mile that matters.

Some Dayton facts:
  • Taxi service in this town is universally despised. Slow, horrible customer service, expensive, crummy cars, crabby drivers, no credit cards, etc.
  • At the old rate Uber was 30 - 50% cheaper than the hated taxi services.
  • The mass transit system here is a joke at best.
  • At the old rate I was seeing multiple new passengers every day. Every one of them loved Uber and knew it was great value at the higher rate.
In short, there is no competition! So sure, cut the rates by 20%! And the best part is 95% of passengers I have had could care less that their trip that used to cost $10 will now cost $8. I can't speak for other markets, but I'm certain in this one the rate cut makes no sense.

So now, in a market saturated with cars that hasn't seen a sniff of a surge in weeks, we go from an economic model that barely works to one that I don't think will work. It would make so much more business sense to buy 3 well placed billboards and one ad at DAY. You want more pax? Try that one Uber. Now passengers will get unhappy / desperate drivers, many more rides passed on, and many more driver cancels. I cant take a ride that is more than 6 -7 miuntes away, and at 5:01 I'm outta there.

Partners? Where was the discussion about this? Did I miss that meeting? Haha, maybe they had it during the ice cream delivery debacle.

I've lived here all my life and know this market, but what do I know? This move is flat out stupid.

I can't agree more with everything that Zoom said.

Unfortunately, the Uber drop your pants formula has worked in other cities.
IMHO, it worked so well in Cinci, that they were able to raise the rates after building the business up.
Since last October, 99% of the rides I've given are in Cinci even though rates were lower than Dayton. There is more business and surge on the weekends and during events that make your gross and profits MUCH larger.

I completely agree with the idea of building ridership thru promotion rather than rate cuts in Dayton. The only Uber riders that are price sensitive are the college students and with these new rates, I wouldn't pick up a rider at UD under any circumstance other than surge. There is just too great a chance that it will be a min fare money losing ride across campus.

danahhoh

I disagree and like ud students. had 4 fares. In about 45 min. Maybe 15 miles drive. $28 . had a regular fare to xenia country club. 28 bucks 25 min. Each way but drove back to dayton empty and 48 miles total . which is more profit. Less gas. Never had a puke. And they are always fun albeit drunk alot.

Hello fellow Daytonians, looks like uber has finally done it to our market and dropped our Fare by 20%. Sucks! Below is the old and new rates

Old. New.

Base
$2.00 $1.40

Per Mile
$1.40 $1.20

Per Min
$0.30. $0.18

Min Fare
$5.00. $4.00
In my opinion there is a solution to this. If you want my ten cents I'd be glad to provide it.

danahhoh

Hey. I'll ask for your 10 cents worth. Hell make it 20 cents. The amount of the cut.
But i have been a driver for 11 months. Avg lately 35-40 hrs on line few at home sitting and work 48 hr regular job. I am doing a few more trips and same money.

And yes there are days i say no more students .log off and move out of the area or cancel them immediately. Occasional to the green but have had about 5 trips from them to Oxford and one to Indianapolis. So its a crapshoot
Lets hear your thoughts

Uber is a software development company not a transportation company. We are drivers but beyond that we are bidding in an auction. The auction begins at the base rates. Bidding at base rates is not enough money. It has been my habit to deny (tap, cancel, other) base rate riders and only accept rides when it surges to 1.5x or greater. If it doesn't surge don't drive. Don't leave home (waste gas) to find rides. If you live in an area where it never surges, you shouldn't drive with Uber. It's not enough money. If you want to accept base rate rides you are a hobbyist, which is ok, you are meeting lots of people and it is quite an adventurous endeavor, but don't fool yourself otherwise.

fdayton

Chosing to not drive this winter...glad it is part time for me. Might leave more for those of you willing to lose money in February for Travis and company.
I chose to just stay home and be warm. Other wise I will losing money every time I drive in Dayton.

Sorry to the passengers.