Fare adjustments?!

#1husler

Have any of you received odd ball and inaccurate messages from Uber about them trying to "adjust" (take away) your fare? It seems Uber has an array of "reasons" for revoking our fares? Does any other service industry employer do this?

For example, this weekend I got such a message (fare adjustment) from Uber, where they revoked my fare with the rationale that a ride complained that I accepted a so called "cash payment" (from her/him?) outside of the established Uber platform payment. This might have been a cash tip I accepted, but I cant remember. In any case...

Apparently, Uber sided with the rider who violated a no cash prohibition? and then Uber refunded his/her fare (though this same person was in the wrong?). I guess he/her offered me a cash tip, then thought he/she shouldnt also have pay the fare in the Uber system because a tip was offered? He/she complained that she/he should not have to make duplicate payment (fare + tip).

Three questions: 1) Are we not allowed to accept cash tips?, 2) if cash tips are offered from riders, are drivers (rather than riders) technicall at "fault", so perhaps the riders should be reprimanded for their violation?, 3) is there any other service industry employer which would elect to withhold a "wage" because a client offers a tip?, like if you're a waiter and get a tip, does your employer then refuse to pay your hourly wage?, or does the owner of the restaurant come out and instruct the client not to give a cash tip? Anyone?

rideshareMN

#1 -- of course you can (and always should) accept cash tips
#2 -- uber seldom takes driver side in these issues
#3 -- not that I know of

I think this is a recent scam whereby riders will give a small tip, then complain to uber that they paid cash in an effort to get a refund; it should be an anomaly from a bad PAX and not a regular issue

#1husler

Ok, this is like...super weird, I'll try this at a restaurant, to order a meal, then tell the cashier that I wont pay because I already informally gave the waiter money under the table... Why in the world would anyone at Uber buy such an argument-that a rider violated policies so needs a refund?...he/she must have claimed to offer me cash for the ride (which Ive never done), then demanded a refund, which Uber then granted! If I worked at Uber, I would just delete that rider for being strange and shady.

Yesterday I was just off France/494 and a Lyft ping came in 7 minutes away towards eden prairie so I accepted it and started heading that direction. Once I got about a minute away the rider updated the pickup location to another 15 minutes away in Shakopee. I was so pissed at that point and especially once I got there and picked her up to go literally half a mile. 1 starred her. I wonder if things like this happen regularly?

PTUber

Yesterday I was just off France/494 and a Lyft ping came in 7 minutes away towards eden prairie so I accepted it and started heading that direction. Once I got about a minute away the rider updated the pickup location to another 15 minutes away in Shakopee. I was so pissed at that point and especially once I got there and picked her up to go literally half a mile. 1 starred her. I wonder if things like this happen regularly?
I would have canceled!

#1husler

Yes, both Uber and Lyft tend "adjust" their "minutes away" too, so...i will accept then start driving and notice the minutes away increases by like 5 or more minutes.

rideshareMN

the worst is when someone does that when you accepted a destination ping trying to get home or to a different driving location

Yes, both Uber and Lyft tend "adjust" their "minutes away" too, so...i will accept then start driving and notice the minutes away increases by like 5 or more minutes.

I've never had any kind of weird fare adjustments that took money from me. I also Always find that the Uber/Lyft ping estimate to pickup is 2-3 minutes higher than the GM estimate when I switch to nav. Maybe market to market it works a bit differently, but I have never arrived to pickup later than an estimate from U/L.

I would have canceled!

He should have arrived and ripped pax a new a-hole, then cancelled.

BruiserB

Just politely/professionally write your side of the story back to Uber. I had an adjustment once when there was a detour and it was a surge fare. The passenger was cool with the detour while I was taking them home, but then I think they saw the total later when they sobered up and filed a complaint for inefficient route taken. They reduced the fare to the direct mileage which wasn’t possible because of the detour.

I wrote back and explained. I may have gotten a canned response the first time but replied again and stayed persistent but professional. I noted something to the effect that Uber should be able to see from my driving history that I have no history of taking passengers for a long ride so I wasn’t about to do that now. They ended up giving me back the original fare.

I have no idea if they increased it to the passenger...maybe Uber just ate it. But better they do then me. Make it clear to them that you have never taken cash for the fare portion of the ride and that you have no idea if you may have received a small cash tip from the rider.

Rsabcd

Have any of you received odd ball and inaccurate messages from Uber about them trying to "adjust" (take away) your fare? It seems Uber has an array of "reasons" for revoking our fares? Does any other service industry employer do this?

For example, this weekend I got such a message (fare adjustment) from Uber, where they revoked my fare with the rationale that a ride complained that I accepted a so called "cash payment" (from her/him?) outside of the established Uber platform payment. This might have been a cash tip I accepted, but I cant remember. In any case...

Apparently, Uber sided with the rider who violated a no cash prohibition? and then Uber refunded his/her fare (though this same person was in the wrong?). I guess he/her offered me a cash tip, then thought he/she shouldnt also have pay the fare in the Uber system because a tip was offered? He/she complained that she/he should not have to make duplicate payment (fare + tip).

Three questions: 1) Are we not allowed to accept cash tips?, 2) if cash tips are offered from riders, are drivers (rather than riders) technicall at "fault", so perhaps the riders should be reprimanded for their violation?, 3) is there any other service industry employer which would elect to withhold a "wage" because a client offers a tip?, like if you're a waiter and get a tip, does your employer then refuse to pay your hourly wage?, or does the owner of the restaurant come out and instruct the client not to give a cash tip? Anyone?
Dispute it, tell your side. They will give you the fare back

Disgusted Driver

I think this is Lyft not the pax. Lyft sometimes will reassign a pick up if they have a closer driver. It typically means you get screwed. I cancel these. In the rare event that I am around the 90% mark and I care then I will simply drive in the opposite direction and wait for them to cancel while I have Uber on.

He stated "the rider updated the pickup location", so it's most likely that message appeared in the app. He didn't say he was switched to a different pax. I get that message when it appears the pax moved the pin location just a little. I've never had one updated to any real distance from original location.

jbourne84

He stated "the rider updated the pickup location", so it's most likely that message appeared in the app. He didn't say he was switched to a different pax. I get that message when it appears the pax moved the pin location just a little. I've never had one updated to any real distance from original location.

I've had it happen where the pax moves the pin far away (opposite side of uptown) and then Lyft swaps out a new pax for me without me accepting.

d0n

You can take cash as tips.

Without a camera, you are pretty much screwed.

Spend 80 bucks in a camera if it happens again.

Uber usually keeps on hitting people whom they know they can rob.

Julescase

They did this with me a few times when I was new to Uber. Each time I wrote to them and stated that if they ever touched my earnings without speaking with me about the issue first they'd be a) breaking the law, and 2) at risk
of being reported to the CA department of Labor for illegally mishandling my earnings. Both instances were times the pax lied - one told them I took a longer route than necessary (which was untrue and you could see on the trip map that I made a direct bee line to the destination- this was after upfront pricing was put into place and the pax didn't pay anything different even if I had been smart enough to long haul it, which I wasn't at the time). But it was surging and he complained about that during the ride - I told Uber he was lying to them and to look at the map AND to deactivate the pax for fraud and trying to pull this bullshit with them. I was so pissed!!
They added the funds back to my earnings and apologized.

For the second one, they said a pax complained about feeling "unsafe with my driving" - this was a pax at 5:30 am going 2 miles to hike at a popular hiking trail on a blind date- we chatted the entire 2 miles and they have my driving stats - I always get "Great job!" and 100% smooth breaking and accelerating, so again I said pax was trying to fraudulently get her money back, 100% lying, and if they didn't add the funds back then they'd be reported to CA Department of Labor momentarily. They agreed and apologized and added funds back.

Each time I said they needed to contact me BEFORE even considering touching my earnings- they cannot remove MY money that I earned just because a lying rider didn't want to pay for their ride. It's illegal and you can't simply remove money that a driver worked for because they feel like doing so. If they (Uber) want to stupidity give away THEIR money, fine, but touch mine again and they'll be speaking with the state of CA about their fraudulent practices, and luckily this state doesn't bullshit around with that kind of thing..

It's ILLEGAL - and Uber is the worst.

Tell them to replace what they took or you'll go to your state's department of labor and employment services, who won't look upon this kindly.

This is yet another reason drivers need to review their earnings each week and screenshot all trip details so they can make sure they were paid in full for their driving services. No joke.

Ubergirl74

This happened to me yesterday early morning, rider complained I picked up the wrong rider even though she was waiting at the curb for me n didn't want to pay for the trip after I gave her a low rating... I wrote to uber explained my side of the story of course they refunded my trip without having the rider pay for it..