• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

False allegations by rider!!!!

The problem with such a lawsuit is that there really isn't that much in damages that the Uber driver could claim- limiting the amount the lawyer could collect on a contingency.

Uber isn't reporting these false DUI ( or other false reports) to newspapers or law enforcement agencies- the only damages the driver is suffering is the lost earnings from not being allowed to drive. After considering the costs of maintaining and fueling a car, the 53 cents a mile that the IRS says it costs to run a car, the damages won't add up to that terribly much, not enough for a lawyer to really fight about.
I agree... but what if two or more drivers alleged the same? Would that make it CLASS ACTION?

Peter G.

I recently had my driver account temp disabled because a rider contacted trust and safety ! Telling the rep that I was UNDER THE INFLUENCE. . That was the message that I received 2 weeks ago. I immediately responded to the email expressing how shocked I was! I understand that the Rideshare platform needs to protect itself from any liability but on the other hand I find it very displeasing that all it takes is one unhappy passenger contacting safety saying that I or any other driver was under the influence. If that was the case why would you get in my car if that were true?? Smh.. I sent handfuls of messages wantingn some kind of explanation or update anything on what was going on but with no response. I do not understand how it takes almost two weeks in my case for a response and the response was very short all it said is that thank you for your time and patience as we investigated this matter your account has been reactivated. A small victory but like I told them why is it so easy for a ride or to be able to falsely accuse a driver and the driver be immediately deactivated and no other info is given. What I learned from all of this is that yes I was under the influence but not of alcohol or drugs I was under the influence that Uber and or Lyft would have the driver back in situations as such. I feel that this system that they have in place now is not cutting it one bit I have heard so many things online of people being deactivated for false allegations and not allowed to return to the platform which is very sad I guess in the end the only thing that has our back is our driver's seat and the floor just had to get that out have a nice night
This just happened to me. Uber doesn't respond to request for info. I asked them to contact the riders prior to this one and the riders after and they REFUSED!! Am now suspended til they decide. Uber SUCKS. They don't care about their drivers only their money.

Telsa34

I recently had my driver account temp disabled because a rider contacted trust and safety ! Telling the rep that I was UNDER THE INFLUENCE. . That was the message that I received 2 weeks ago. I immediately responded to the email expressing how shocked I was! I understand that the Rideshare platform needs to protect itself from any liability but on the other hand I find it very displeasing that all it takes is one unhappy passenger contacting safety saying that I or any other driver was under the influence. If that was the case why would you get in my car if that were true?? Smh.. I sent handfuls of messages wantingn some kind of explanation or update anything on what was going on but with no response. I do not understand how it takes almost two weeks in my case for a response and the response was very short all it said is that thank you for your time and patience as we investigated this matter your account has been reactivated. A small victory but like I told them why is it so easy for a ride or to be able to falsely accuse a driver and the driver be immediately deactivated and no other info is given. What I learned from all of this is that yes I was under the influence but not of alcohol or drugs I was under the influence that Uber and or Lyft would have the driver back in situations as such. I feel that this system that they have in place now is not cutting it one bit I have heard so many things online of people being deactivated for false allegations and not allowed to return to the platform which is very sad I guess in the end the only thing that has our back is our driver's seat and the floor just had to get that out have a nice night

Auber2.jpg Dash camera would have probably resolved this much quicker.

AuxCordBoston

This just happened to me. Uber doesn't respond to request for info. I asked them to contact the riders prior to this one and the riders after and they REFUSED!! Am now suspended til they decide. Uber SUCKS. They don't care about their drivers only their money.
Can you post what uber emailed you?

Rakos

Ok...what is wrong with using the camera...

And asking for a pic...

Usually you can look at someone...

And tell pretty quick...

If they are three sheets to the wind...8>)

Rakos
Examples below
drunk_1.jpg

face-run.jpg

man-in-tartan-holding-a-whisky-glass-and-looking-drunk-picture-id175594200.jpg

PS. Should set off alarm bells...8>)

Oh yes drunk monkey pic...
too-much-co-real-life-14038717.png

melusine3

You now know just one of the reasons why LUber has such a high turn-over. In a just world, LUber would contact the passenger just prior and after this ride to ask general question about the ride (NOT ask leading questions like, DO YOU THINK YOUR DRIVER WAS UNDER THE INFLUENCE?) and assess whether or not that was the case. You may find the previous pax smelled of pot and it left an odor the next pax figured was YOUR use. Or alcohol can also leave an odor. Ugh. This is what they ought to do, but they don't/won't because they DGAF about drivers. However, always drive for both platforms so you at least have a backup for when these cases happen.

CapeCodGuy

I too was a victim. One year ago being accused of being drunk because i wouldn't accept too many riders, and more recently of some kind of sexual misconduct for doing absolutely nothing. Uber does NOT have our backs!

Irishjohn831

I write this a lot and it should serve as common sense to Uber and Lyft.

If a rider believes you are under the influence they will exit your car for their own safety.

If a rider goes to their destination and then complains, question should be why did you remain in the car if you suspected driver was under the influence.

Listen41

I went to the same thing with lift and my account is deactivated for two days by the one I challenge them to prove it they' backed out and told me that my account has been reactivated in the meantime I have lost a good weekends water Revenue almost $300

I too was a victim. One year ago being accused of being drunk because i wouldn't accept too many riders, and more recently of some kind of sexual misconduct for doing absolutely nothing. Uber does NOT have our backs!
Uber is the most corrupt and treacherous company that I have known they have all kind of shady allegation and all kind of ways to control and manipulate the drivers

Demon

Reckless policy, they potentially allowed the driver to finish the rest of the night. While a simple welfare check could solve this issue quickly and Uber would be legally clean of any negligence. Currently they took a complaint, did zero investigation, and will allow a drunk to drive after the 7-14 day suspension.
Investigate it immediately, they have our vehicle license plate number and GPS location. Have County Sheriff track them down and get PBT & FST, then take appropriate action or let them drive.

Any lawyer would pounce if a drunk hits somebody and a previous PAX made a complaint. Goodbye $250+ million dollars, gone, and the public trust isn't getting better either.

There are good law enforcement, medical, automotive, etc consultants that "could" write better policies if Uber really wanted to take over the transportation industry. But they'd rather act like they're still a start up company with an app. :rolleyes:
Drivers that care on this forum could do a better job!
Uber can't control when the pax makes the complaint. It could be right after the ride ends or hours after the ride ends.

I write this a lot and it should serve as common sense to Uber and Lyft.

If a rider believes you are under the influence they will exit your car for their own safety.

If a rider goes to their destination and then complains, question should be why did you remain in the car if you suspected driver was under the influence.
The rider may not be able to exit the vehicle. It may not be a safe area. And asking to end the ride early could make the driver defensive and upset.

micmufman

I got an email one day from support telling me that a rider lodged a complaint against me that I should be aware of. Support didn't say what the complaint was until I responded and they told me that the rider said "I made them feel uncomfortable". I asked them if it would help me to have a drivecam and they said no, this isn't anything to worry about that I wasn't being suspended or anything like that. We have no recourse at all, no protection, we are bareassed in a sea of thorns out there!!

PlayLoud

I got an email one day from support telling me that a rider lodged a complaint against me that I should be aware of. Support didn't say what the complaint was until I responded and they told me that the rider said "I made them feel uncomfortable". I asked them if it would help me to have a drivecam and they said no, this isn't anything to worry about that I wasn't being suspended or anything like that. We have no recourse at all, no protection, we are bareassed in a sea of thorns out there!!
Even if it doesn't help you with an Uber complaint, I'm glad to see you're planning to buy a dash cam (from your thread). Even if it doesn't help you with Uber, it can help you with legalities if things get real.

TXUbering

They take wayyyy more than 25%. Try, maybe, 45-55%.
lol, you have to look at the date of the post, and then slowly cry yourself to sleep when you realize you're the frog in that slow boiling pot of water (which yes yes, I know it's been debunked)....

Pax Collector

lol, you have to look at the date of the post, and then slowly cry yourself to sleep when you realize you're the frog in that slow boiling pot of water (which yes yes, I know it's been debunked)....
I'm still not getting the frog in the pot of water reference and how it applies to my comment......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Halfmybrain Chicago 1
MSLimey59 Advice 29
D Ratings 16