1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Fake Uber's everywhere! Imposters galore!

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    https://www.today.com/money/fake-uber-drivers-are-out-there-here-s-how-avoid-t126919

Fake Uber drivers are out there: Here's how to avoid becoming their victim
    Jeff Rossen and Conor Ferguson
    TODAY

Last year, Carla Westlund was sexually assaulted by a man posing as an Uber driver. Similar incidents have been reported across the country.

Get Jeff Rossen's new book, "Rossen to the Rescue," here.

To show just how easy it is for Uber imposters to target you, TODAY national investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen parked outside popular bars and restaurants in the Los Angeles area late at night, in a car with a fake Uber logo. Cameras in the car captured the revealing results.

How can you avoid becoming a victim of an Uber imposter? Follow these important tips:

• Before you get in the car, use the Uber app to check the license plate. Make sure it matches the actual car.
    • Check to make sure the person behind the wheel looks like your driver's photo in the app.
    • Don't give away your name. Instead, ask the driver who they are picking up.
    • If you're traveling alone, Uber encourages you to ride in the back seat instead of the front. That way, in an emergency, you can exit on either side of the car. They say this also gives both you and your driver more personal space.
    • Uber also suggests that you share trip details with a friend. You can do this easily by tapping the "share status" option on the Uber home screen once your fare has begun.

DocT likes this.
  2. I have no sympathy for these “victims”. The passenger has a picture of our ugly mug, the make model and color of the car and the license plate, AND a real time map of where we’re coming from. ****ing idiots

So_cal_909760, Mista T, Rakos and 2 others like this.
  3. Wow heard this story from a woman today who took uber for the first time.

Unbelievable people are getting into fake ubers.

4. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado

Driving:
    UberX
    Rossen is a bit off base......

First, Uber requires drivers to obain the name of the rider FIRST, to confirm that the driver has the correct rider. No name can mean no entry and no trip.

Second, once the rider has been ID'D as the correct person, the rider can ask the driver to confirm the destination. Simple!

The rest of his advise is common sense and done by most riders I take.....ie....check the plate and driver pic.

The reporter is making it overly complicated, for the sake of a story.

5. This uber imposter deal is only going to become worse as time goes on,

Uber are infinitely easier to pull off than an imposter taxi.

Buckiemohawk likes this.
  6. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    If Uber is regulated by the state, they need state issued permits like a taxi. Ohhhhhh!

Buckiemohawk and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  7. Not if pax checks the tags. Simple. Does the tag match the tag shown in app, period
    Marked taxis are a roll of the dice, something always there to offend your sense of smell and vision

8. Ant-Man

Ant-Man

[​IMG]

JMlyftuber likes this.
  9. Mole

Mole

I never let a person in my vehicle unless they tell me their name first.

10. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

They have teams of uh.. alternative legality status driving on fake profiles. The tag alone doesn’t cut it, they need to check the driver’s face

mrpjfresh likes this.
  11. The problem... is that there are ubers doing street hails and people dumb enough to get into these cars.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...r-cabs-picking-street-fares-article-1.2591233

Forget tapping an app for that Uber — there are drivers who will pick you up off the street for fast cash.

Taxi and Limousine Commission summons data shows that cars tied to Uber bases are among the worst offenders for illegal street pickups, with 2,825 tickets issued between the start of 2015 and this year, through March 4.

That’s nearly a fifth of the 14,884 summonses for unauthorized rides issued in that stretch. The five car bases that received the most infractions — totaling 2,335 tickets — belong to Uber.

It isn't JUST NYC either

People are treating uber's like taxis without understanding the crucial differences between the two.

Illegal taxis are far easier to search for, crack down on and to shut down.

12. uberisSATAN

uberisSATAN

when i can screenshot pax face & see pick up address & destination ill care, until then, never showed trade dress, dont use a front plate & they have to give me name first, & if they not going least 10 miles they need to gtfo cux im cancelling i dont drive for free or allow thieves in my car

my profile pic was prince first 2 years these pax dont care, watch shamless or higher maintenance uber is a illegal cab service pull up to someone doing the uber dance roll window down they may or may not look up from their slave screen & say "uber" driver says nope but ill do it cheaper & 9 outta 10 times the rider won't care cuz cheaper in cash is more than ubers cut lmao

if you dont want to be raped or attacked by your driver try ordering an xl, select, or black otherwise you get what you pay for

cabs have partitions for a reason, to PROTECT DRIVERS as riders assult drivers thousands of times more than the other way around

does uber offer discounts on dashcams, partitions, let riders get a verified check mark if they submit i.d. NOPE...

any murderer, rapists, robber, felon, junkie with a $50 prepaid & burner phone can summon a chauffeur 24/7 for illegal 1965-1985 wages

3 phones literally track the entire ride minute by minute foot by foot gps, the driver, riders, ubers servers, multiple cell phones servers, they can screenshot a face pic, drivers license plate, make model color of vehicle, uber has a background check, i.d. registration, insurance on file, rider is in back while drivers eyes on road, they can share location or talk to whoever entire trip and riders feel threatened?

foh

JMlyftuber and Fuzzyelvis like this.
  13. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado

Driving:
    UberX
    Okay....I have no idea what you are trying to say. Work on your English and get back to us.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  14. uberisSATAN

uberisSATAN

ad hominem is ad hominem & doesn't change fax jax when people attack grammar sentance structure spelling they have no valid counter point so... you tjink i care about mopes working for what 12 year olds in 1985 would laugh at?

i don't care to impress or get a gold star on a test thats what uber gives lol im high typing with one hand

how bout no & you just ignore or dont, we all have 2 cents and illegal uber calls it "premium" hav a blest dai

15. Buckiemohawk

Buckiemohawk

You know how easy it is to put Uber on your car and do illegal pickups for cash here. Really easy.

TwoFiddyMile and UBERPROcolorado like this.
  16. uberisSATAN

uberisSATAN

watch the latest seasons of shameless & high maintenance major plotlines on trapping out the uber, theres also multiple songs by platinum & gold recording acts about trapping out the uber out for years

g ypsy cabs have always been a thing only difference its now easy to spot the millions of people doing the uber dance on the side of the road its like the pee pee dance they stick out & newsflash cheapskates are cheap so most dont care a bird in the hand better than the cockroach named abdulla still 5+ minutes away & will hop right on in to save even more because 41 +% off is still to expensive

if you not scared just roll down your window theyll say "uber?" for ya & the negotiations begin cut out the middle man works good in the minority neighborhoods the majority to scurred to go to or event/bar crowds etc...

17. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado

Driving:
    UberX
    I am not concerned about your spelling etc. I just cant understand what you are saying. Sorry.

Pretending to be a ligit rideshare driver IS easy? I am missing something. The biggy is payment. Everyone knows that payment goes thru the app. If a driver asks for a cash payment, get out and call 911.

If the driver has to ask for a riders destination, get out and call 911.

I bet the riders that get into fake rideshares and stay in them are looking for a deal and they have only themselves to blame if things go south.

I have had my share of riders that want to work out a cash deal. I tell them NO. If they dont want the ride after I reject the cash deal, I just notify Uber and their account is deactivated.

18. uberisSATAN

uberisSATAN

theyre account is deactivated lmao o.k. & if it actually is (hint its not) new number new email new account new 5 star rider you can buy rider & drivers accounts on tor, or jist use a prepay & now its an anon account

good luck with that, what company you been driving for that make you think uber gives 2 doo doos about drivers safety? they dont care if youre murdered over 2 tacos, your account will be deactivated while they investigate

most drivers say show me the money cancel the ride, make more with the cash offer & cut out the evil middleman that spends all day trying to steal from them, most people just want a ride & arent out to murder/rape you

Rakos and Buckiemohawk like this.
  19. somedriverguy

somedriverguy

Driving:
    UberXL
    Greet the driver by name and ask for.your name in return. Pax have 7 or 8 pieces of secret information they can verify the driver with. Drivers have ONE, the pax's name. Do not give it up before getting a proper verify from the pax FOR ANY REASON.

ratethis likes this.
  20. Bpr2

Bpr2

Driving:
    UberX
    I’m a dude and the other day all the uber plate number on the app said was “dealer plates” and the picture was a woman with long brown hair and 4.5 rating. car came up to pick up with regular plates and the driver was a man with short hair and beard. Car matched, but nothing else.

Told the dude I’m not getting in and asked to see his phone and he actually handed it to me. as I was NOT going to get charged so I canceled myself with no charge.

Told him to fk off