"Fake" Uber and Lyft drivers??? How is this possible?

Ok people... I'm trying to figure out how are people getting into the car with "fake" Uber or Lyft drivers? The app clearly shows the picture of the person and the their license plate. Are people driving the car and signing in under an active driver's account or what? I'm reading articles on Google Alerts and in the news about people getting into cars with "fake" drivers. How is this even possible if they are looking at the license plate and pic of the driver?

I_Like_Spam

A lot of passengers don't look at license plates or the driver that close. An Uber sticker on the windshield is usually enough. Remember a lot of these rides happen at night, and you can't see as well, especially with the large number of people with particularly poor night vision.

UberXTampa

An UberX driver is nobody. Some pax don't even look at our face. Many don't even know car make/models. An intersection of these 2 makes news stories like this.

Last edited:

ddelro219

i havce a silver toyota camry. the most common sedan on the road and the most common color (i think, if not silver is still pretty damn common) on the road. so yeah,quite often i'll see another silver toyota camry before i can count 10 missippi's. easy to mistake my car for another.

i saw firsthand a rider open the door to another silver camry a few cars ahead of me with me on the phone with him. rider just about yelling at me, "i am standing right in front of your car. what do you mean you're down the sidewalk?" i can imagine the face of the driver of that camry wondering why there's a strange guy yelling on the phone getting into my car.

some people just overlook the details.

steveK2016

Mix in some alcohol and anxiousness to leave and you get mistakes often. I have tinted windows so it doesn't help. I've already picked up my pax at bar row and I'd have drunk people still trying to get into my car.

terrifiedanimal

This has been bothering for several weeks. Today, while offline, I come across this white Honda with no License Plates and an Uber and Lyft decal in the back window. After taking this pic, I went in front of him and no front plate either. Yes, there was a Passenger in the car. What to do?????
In California, it's customary to drive your brand new car around without plates, since it takes some time for your new plates to arrive. Perfectly legal. I've seen people go for many months sporting the placeholder dealer placards, out of vanity more than anything else. It took six weeks for my plates to arrive, so I drove with the Mercedes dealer name placard in my car's front and back license plate frames. Had a couple of passengers freak out over the fact that I had no plates on the car. They confirmed to me, my assumption that they were out-of-staters who were unaware of how we do it here.

I did have some apprehensions crossing the Golden Gate bridge, which has no toll booths and relies upon license plate scanners. I didn't get my usual toll bill in the mail, so I guess the bridge just writes off those unlicensed vehicle tolls.

tohunt4me

This has been bothering for several weeks. Today, while offline, I come across this white Honda with no License Plates and an Uber and Lyft decal in the back window. After taking this pic, I went in front of him and no front plate either. Yes, there was a Passenger in the car. What to do?????
Fake ubers for FAKE Riders !

observer

In California, it's customary to drive your brand new car around without plates, since it takes some time for your new plates to arrive. Perfectly legal. I've seen people go for many months sporting the placeholder dealer placards, out of vanity more than anything else. It took six weeks for my plates to arrive, so I drove with the Mercedes dealer name placard in my car's front and back license plate frames. Had a couple of passengers freak out over the fact that I had no plates on the car. They confirmed to me, my assumption that they were out-of-staters who were unaware of how we do it here.

I did have some apprehensions crossing the Golden Gate bridge, which has no toll booths and relies upon license plate scanners. I didn't get my usual toll bill in the mail, so I guess the bridge just writes off those unlicensed vehicle tolls.
"Paper plates" will probably be made illegal or changed somehow to make them traceable to the car soon. A lot of people buy them and put them on cars to avoid paying registration fees. They are commonly sold outside police impound auto auctions.

I_Like_Spam

"Paper plates" will probably be made illegal or changed somehow to make them traceable to the car soon. A lot of people buy them and put them on cars to avoid paying registration fees. They are commonly sold outside police impound auto auctions.
Really? I'm sure that some people abuse the paper plates, but is it really a lot?

Of course, California can adopt the Pennsylvania system, where the plate goes with the driver. Buy a new car and you keep your old plate.

CrazyT

Why would people try to be fake drivers? the majority of the pax aren't carrying money so they wont be able to pay for the ride.

I_Like_Spam

Why would people try to be fake drivers? the majority of the pax aren't carrying money so they wont be able to pay for the ride.
Maybe they tell people they are having technical problems and will have to pay cash, or have their own square reader for credit cards?

Red Leader

Here is what the state is wanting to go to.....

Right now you have TRIP stickers.....temporary registration in progress. Front lower right corner of the windshield.

Now what they want to do is issue paper plates at the time of sale to be placed in the plate frame. Nth is is because law enforcement can't tell from a passive run of the vehicle is stolen or not. This system is supposed to solve that.

I once bought a truck and drove with the ever fading dealer placard in the plate frames for about 18 months. Nehemiah the plates came, about 3 weeks after I bought the truck, I tossed them in the back seat and waited just to see how long before I was stopped.

I never was. I finally put them on because I got tired of all the nagging.