"Fake surges"

nm339242

so why does uber work to hold down surges or subtly shift their location?

That's a leading question so I'll just answer it myself. It's because less passengers take rides when there's surges. So then why do people on here act shocked when they go to a surge cloud and there's no requests coming in? obviously uber suppresses surge at the airport and we've seen them shift surges off center to make a smaller surge be the real point of popularity but the fake surge buzzword people like to use has no real thought process put behind it most of the time. Unlike what certain elected officials try to tell you, "fake" is not synonymous with "something I don't like." If you're in a surge and no pings are coming in, there's a very good chance it's because riders are waiting out the surge (or taking Lyft if they're not surging)

Which is of course another reason I would rather uber just raise the base rates.

nm339242

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went out for a bit until I got stuck on an uphill road in a patch of ice in manayunk. Then I just went home. Went out a bit later when it was a bit bette but it died down quickly and I went home and at that point my parking lot was a sheet of ice so I parked on the side of the road.

Fun times.

And for the record in my entire life with any car I've owned, I've never had a problem driving in freezing rain before

anteetr

Speaking of fake surges, I've been online in a surging area for over half an hour. I've gotten 10 pings with no surge, all of which I rejected.

nm339242

Were they pings from outside the area or were they pings that should have been surges?

anteetr

All outside the area but one. That one I'm real confident waited to request until the surge completely died. And it was a poo.

nm339242

Which is pretty much what I'm talking about. People wait out the surge. We keep begging for more surge but if no riders take it, it does no good.

So again - raise the rates.

anteetr

Which is pretty much what I'm talking about. People wait out the surge. We keep begging for more surge but if no riders take it, it does no good.

So again - raise the rates.
I agree with you on the raising the rates front, but these "surge areas" are not exactly hotbeds of uber activity at 5am on a Wednesday. This has nothing to to with waiting it out because I'm positive there were few, if any customers to be had at any price at that time. I drive this particular area often and have since I started 2+ years ago so I know it well. I also watch the rider app in these situations. There were lots of cars available and none were disappearing. Generally, they didn't after the surge went away either supporting my claim there was slim pickings at any price.

I remember when, if you drove into a surge zone, you got a pings right away from the zone. Now? You get em from where the demand is really coming from outside the zone. I got plenty of base fare pings from where they usually come from at that time. It's almost like the PHL goose surge is everywhere now.

bobby747

yep they are ruining a product they made to move the world (70+ countrys) by lying to everyone.
now if they fake CC they do alot to same thing to move cars where they want them...you make get one due to super hi population...only...they are moving people from airports are rates that are unlivable.....but want to show drivers 3.0 surges in other places. people are smarter and will wait 90% of the time...but to counter that . they been tricking people with just a price..say CC to kop $50 only when i think the surge goes to 4.4 thet still make you type in i agree to pay 4.4 due to lack of drivers..otherwise if kop is a 2.0 its just says $100 so most pay it

Hans GrUber

so why does uber work to hold down surges or subtly shift their location?

That's a leading question so I'll just answer it myself. It's because less passengers take rides when there's surges. So then why do people on here act shocked when they go to a surge cloud and there's no requests coming in? obviously uber suppresses surge at the airport and we've seen them shift surges off center to make a smaller surge be the real point of popularity but the fake surge buzzword people like to use has no real thought process put behind it most of the time. Unlike what certain elected officials try to tell you, "fake" is not synonymous with "something I don't like." If you're in a surge and no pings are coming in, there's a very good chance it's because riders are waiting out the surge (or taking Lyft if they're not surging)

Which is of course another reason I would rather uber just raise the base rates.

Lol. Fake surge is such a real thing I can't believe you are saying otherwise. I've said a lot about fake surge, shown a bunch of pictures... check the Delaware beach forum for my incredibly detailed post. Keeping it brief:

1) I can't tell you how many times I've been in ambler or KoP and watched a surge build and pass without me getting a ping. If there was high demand I'd receive pings leading up to and then following the surge.

2) fake centers of surge. You ever see solebury, pa surge on saturdays? Up north across from Trenton, every once in a while you'll see a really wide area that's blood red at like 4.5. Next time you see that, zoom in and take a look at what is going on there. Take a look at those empty roads and explain how the demand is at its highest an a road where there's one house.

3) there's other stuff, like how I literally ignored 100+ base rate pings from manayunk from 11:30- midnight on Saturday, but I'm going back to bed

nm339242

I certainly didn't say uber doesn't play games with the surges, especially the ones that they shift over from the actual surge point. I was just saying that the automatic conclusion that uber is having a fake surge when you don't get a ping isn't necessarily accurate