• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Fake surge

Vegeta09

Hi guys,

I have been driving uber since last November.

Several times I have received requests on base rates from areas clearly marked as surge on the map, but on the Saturday night just gone, I was working near the Geelong CBD and the area was a sea of red, yet uber tried sending me base request after base request from the Geelong CBD.

I probably rejected at least 10 requests from uber for base rates trips in the Geelong CBD, before receiving a taxify request which I decided to accept.

Do any other drivers have these issues regarding fake surge from uber? I don't understand why they do it, it's not like their position of ruling the roost is under any threat.

Apollo

Hi guys,

Several times I have received requests on base rates from areas clearly marked as surge on the map, but on the Saturday night just gone, I was working near the Geelong CBD and the area was a sea of red, yet uber tried sending me base request after base request from the Geelong CBD.

I probably rejected at least 10 requests from uber for base rates trips in the Geelong CBD, before receiving a taxify request which I decided to accept.

Do any other drivers have these issues regarding fake surge from uber? I don't understand why they do it, it's not like their position of ruling the roost is under any threat.
Yep.It happens to the best of us.

Vegeta09

Yep.It happens to the best of us.
To be honest, I've been expecting a warning from uber regarding my acceptance rate.

I know I can get deactivated if I cancel too many trips after accepting them.

Do you know if I can get deactivated for rejecting too many trip requests?

Apollo

To be honest, I've been expecting a warning from uber regarding my acceptance rate.

I know I can get deactivated if I cancel too many trips after accepting them.

Do you know if I can get deactivated for rejecting too many trip requests?
As Rally said you will be fine not accepting pings.Just don't accept a trip then cancel.If you do a number of those,you could be in trouble.

zanboor

Hi guys,

I hope you don’t cancel trip requests at the airport as any surge there is fake.

Vegeta09

No deactivation for acceptance rates I am currently sitting on 8% for my acceptance rate
As Rally said you will be fine not accepting pings.Just don't accept a trip then cancel.If you do a number of those,you could be in trouble.
OK thanks, that's good to know.

Do you know if it's the same with other apps, or do they have different rules to uber, in regards to acceptance and cancellations?

I hope you don’t cancel trip requests at the airport as any surge there is fake.
I've never been to the uber holding bay at the airport, because every time I have had to drop someone off at the airport, the app tells me the uber holding bay is full.

Rally_Sport

OK thanks, that's good to know.

Do you know if it's the same with other apps, or do they have different rules to uber, in regards to acceptance and cancellations?

I've never been to the uber holding bay at the airport, because every time I have had to drop someone off at the airport, the app tells me the uber holding bay is full.
Do not know about the other apps as far as acceptance or cancellation. As far as the airport is concerned it is a mugs game sometimes you can be lucky and there is not to many ants in the nest, but most times I drive straight out of there

Scottie B

Do not know about the other apps as far as acceptance or cancellation. As far as the airport is concerned it is a mugs game sometimes you can be lucky and there is not to many ants in the nest, but most times I drive straight out of there
Rally its worth a look to see how the others live LOL

RoboRider

Uber sent me to the airport 4 times today ... so many dead km getting jobs away from their but better than sitting in the nest

To round out Uber's fun with me I got bounced to reservoir after getting back from airport trip #4 and then williamstown when I got back from that one

Duderx

Vege, hoping you're not a troll, but I'll take you on face value, for now.
  1. On Uber you'll sit in a 2.9x surge red sea, and receive base rate requests, because apparently some pax are happy to wait for a loooonnng time for a base rate ride, and it, apparently again, seems to bounce around the network until someone accepts it!
  2. You need to be 4.7 rating to be able to go into the AP holding zone, and possibly there's a min number of rides you need to have done - however it's been a long time since I investigated the rules. AND when you get into the AP queue there'll be 100+ drivers in front of you. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! You'll probably wait over an hour for a $35 payment to go to the city - and $9 is for the toll!
Unless you live near the airport and know 'telephone guy' (search this forum for references), in which case you can apparently make a lot of money from sitting in the airport detention centre - sorry waiting area.

So if you're not a troll, you are welcome to this free advice.

If you are yet another troll, then I'll leave it to your imagination to decide what you should do (none of which, of course involves inserting anything into an orifice and rotating it!) - too crude? I'm trying to establish boundaries. ;-)

Last edited:

Vegeta09

To be honest, I wouldn't even know where the uber holding bay at the airport is, as every time I've completed a drop off there, I've elected to get out of the airport complex. I hate airports.

1. On Uber you'll sit in a 2.9x surge red sea, and receive base rate requests, because apparently some pax are happy to wait for a loooonnng time for a base rate ride, and it, apparently again, seems to bounce around the network until someone accepts it!
  2. You need to be 4.7 rating to be able to go into the AP holding zone, and possibly there's a min number of rides you need to have done - however it's been a long time since I investigated the rules. AND when you get into the AP queue there'll be 100+ drivers in front of you. AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! You'll probably wait over an hour for a $35 payment to go to the city - and $9 is for the toll!
1. True, I was going to say that I often receive requests for base rates, from over 10 minutes away, while I'm sitting in a surge zone. I don't get why people would wait so long for the surge to drop, especially given the alternative apps they can use without surge pricing, not to mention taxis which are still around.

2. Agree with you on this, it seems like a waste of time waiting at the airport, especially now that uber count all time online towards the 12 hour limit, rather than just the time that you spend moving.

Unless you live near the airport and know 'telephone guy' (search this forum for references), in which case you can apparently make a lot of money from sitting in the airport detention centre - sorry waiting area.
Phone guy?

Would this happen to be in reference to the rules of the airport, that uber sent us back in December?

Djhuber63

There is a theory that the “fake surge” pings are old Pre-surge riders that have not been accepted. Also have heard that these should be accepted and cancelled so rebook is at surge rates.
I’ve been cancelling plenty lately, mainly due to hard to get to locations - eg cbd when I’m already on Kingsway- and it does not seem to have effected my job pings at all.
Yes with the new app we can no longer avoid “Jayden” or “Jaxon”