1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Fake surge.......

Discussion in 'Surge' started by Driver2448, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Driver2448

Driver2448 Well-Known Member

Was keeping an eye out for the surge at home and was surprised when a 2X appeared. Switched on the app and the surge at home was gone! The same thing happened when I drove a little further into town since it was a Friday. Surge appeared. No rides for the couple of minutes when I was right in the middle of it. Got one ride after surge and then signed off.

Surprise surprise. Surge came back when I had already arrived back home. There was a tempting one a half mile from the highway but at this point I'm beginning to feel like Uber must be manipulating the surge. Has anyone else experienced this? Seems kind of strange given that it was a Friday night between 4pm and 5:30pm.

SpeedyGonzalez11 likes this.
  2. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yes,

Uber will do a fake surge in an area even if there are no actual customers, to get drivers into an area.

Reneee and SpeedyGonzalez11 like this.
  3. Charles Fedden

Charles Fedden New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've had the surge shrink before me as my car started to enter the surge.

Torensmith and SpeedyGonzalez11 like this.
  4. semi-retired

semi-retired Active Member

I have sat in the middle of a surge waiting to get a ride multiple times as the surge built around me. The surges lasted for over 5 minutes. I talked with Uber about this and they said the surges were most likely for XL not X. I asked if it was for XL why did I see it? Their answer... Some XL drivers do both XL and X rides so it is visible to both types of drivers.

5. AzAppDriver

AzAppDriver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I am an XL driver, and see when X and XL surge. I have a feeling some customers are also learning to wait until the price drops (surge ends) before actually requesting the ride.

Additionally, I have also had XL requests when X was surging enough to where XL was cheaper. I once accepted a stacked ping for XL, picked up a pax and his wife, and he told me "XL was cheaper than X so I figured why not take the XL and save a couple bucks".

NUBER-LE likes this.

6. Driver2448

Driver2448 Well-Known Member

Happened again tonight. Saw another surge turned on the app and not a single ride. I was only 3-4 minutes from the area where it was happening.

7. ibabuvu

ibabuvu New Member

Seen this happen a lot. Precisely, the surge will go away 10 seconds before I get a request. To top it off, tonight's surge for New Years Eve in Las Vegas is 1.1-1.5. The amount of traffic, obstacles, etc warrant at least 5x. Uber has lost their minds if they think they will keep quality drivers with slave pay. We all need to turn our apps off when we see lack of proper surge. This is the only way things will change.

03055driver and SpeedyGonzalez11 like this.
  8. SpeedyGonzalez11

SpeedyGonzalez11 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    These were taken 20 secs apart. Promptly declined. No thanks fuber

Attached Files:

9. applesvt

applesvt New Member

these fake surges happen all the time. I'm wise to them now, and practially ignore them now. Watched it grow, go back online after gassing up, instantly gone the second i go back online.

10. Waffles

Waffles Well-Known Member

See if Lyft is surging anywhere around the uber surge. Otherwise, it's fake.

Uber is now using fake surge instead of of boost to kill surge.

Surge is just a way of moving drivers around so there is no potential of surge.

I drive Black and private and have had surges literally start directly on my location and I will flip on ALL levels of uber...You guessed it, no ping. Have done this 50xs and it never fails.

Your dealing with one of the most corrupt companies on the planet

2Cents, SpeedyGonzalez11 and txdrvr like this.
  11. Julescase

Julescase Well-Known Member

I love it - and POOL no less! They have 5-stars too - what a GD joke.

12. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Do you know what else that we have plenty of, on top of fake surges???

People crying about fake surges.

13. 2Cents

2Cents Well-Known Member

14. Anthony 11

Anthony 11 Member

Quit accepting the pings right after the surge stops. It's riders waiting it out. When surge stops so do I

15. NUBER-LE

NUBER-LE Well-Known Member

Surge does not guarantee you a ride. I have been in a 10x surge and no one got any pax request. People are waiting it out now.

16. Anthony 11

Anthony 11 Member

Luckily I live near an area that surges a lot. I won't accept a ping and leave until it's over 2.5.

17. NUBER-LE

NUBER-LE Well-Known Member

Surge is kinda sketch here. UBER didnt let it surge last night when all the bars abd clubs closed. Over 30 min uber never let it go over 1.2x