Failure to Yield, do I need to worry?

xptg123

Hi so I got a $500 ticket for failure to yield to emergency vehicles while driving for Lyft in Millbrae, CA (near SFO). It’s my first ticket ever in 7 years of driving, no other infractions. I’m willing to pay the ticket to get it over with, but I’m worried about being kicked off the platform since I think it’s a higher level ticket than most. Looked for other threads about this but didn’t find any specific to this ticket in this region and don’t want to contact Lyft about it in case it flags me. Anyone else had an experience similar to this or advice? Thanks

Here’s context though it’s probably not that important (I know I should get a dashcam) -

I had seen a group of siren-on emergency vehicles emerge over an elevated freeway bridge to my right while I was waiting at a perpendicular red light. It turns green and I wait for them to pass through and then proceed straight through the intersection but surprise there’s another group of emergency vehicles that emerge over the elevated bridge with lights but no siren about 15 seconds after the first group and suddenly I’m in their way and their honking at me, cop pulls in straight behind me and says I failed to yield. I tried to argue the cop on it since they came from a blind spot behind a hill/elevated bridge with no siren, which seems unsafe but to no avail.

DrivingForYou

First of all, yes you should fight it. They siren MUST be in for you to actually violate this. I suggest filing an 1185 motion for dismissal due to the missing element (siren off). Hopefully you have saved your dash cam footage. (If you don't have a dash cam, you have no evidence. Police officer testimony IS evidence, and before you claim there was no siren, you need to get the officer to declare on record that the vehicle(s) you were impeding were not sounding their siren.)

Second it is like all infractions, one point. It has no "enhancement", such as driving the wrong way on a divided highway which is two points.

Third, never argue with the cop. But in this case if you managed to get the cop to write in their notes that the siren was off, you will automatically win. Cop notes are evidence.

See the law:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=21806

Dropking

Definitely go argue the ticket in front of the judge. If you sound sympathetic and earnest they will often side with your humanity. Besides whomever wrote the ticket is suppose to show up in court and he may not.

Pinapple Man

Hi so I got a $500 ticket for failure to yield to emergency vehicles while driving for Lyft in Millbrae, CA (near SFO). It’s my first ticket ever in 7 years of driving, no other infractions. I’m willing to pay the ticket to get it over with, but I’m worried about being kicked off the platform since I think it’s a higher level ticket than most. Looked for other threads about this but didn’t find any specific to this ticket in this region and don’t want to contact Lyft about it in case it flags me. Anyone else had an experience similar to this or advice? Thanks

Here’s context though it’s probably not that important (I know I should get a dashcam) -

I had seen a group of siren-on emergency vehicles emerge over an elevated freeway bridge to my right while I was waiting at a perpendicular red light. It turns green and I wait for them to pass through and then proceed straight through the intersection but surprise there’s another group of emergency vehicles that emerge over the elevated bridge with lights but no siren about 15 seconds after the first group and suddenly I’m in their way and their honking at me, cop pulls in straight behind me and says I failed to yield. I tried to argue the cop on it since they came from a blind spot behind a hill/elevated bridge with no siren, which seems unsafe but to no avail.
Go to traffic school, may be a two point violation. Cost will be usually the cost of the ticket plus $100 for the school.

emmhope

Get a lawyer, do not go to traffic school.how come they had to honk at you ? why did you not move when you saw them ?

Watup

Well they will offer you to pay the ticket on first hearing and It won't be on your record, but if you do go for a trial then ticket will be $1000 if found guilty, so talk to some attorney and see what are your chances on this violation. And best place to get cheap attorney is at the court, get to court early and look around the hearing room you have to go, you gonna see few attorneys there just talk to one. Good luck

Trump Economics

This isn’t helpful, but I think you’re OK. Lyft likely looks for safety related violations like speeding. Not yielding to a siren is an honest mistake (music too loud, I was singing and caught up in the moment, I was looking for a street sign, etc.).

DrivingForYou

Well they will offer you to pay the ticket on first hearing and It won't be on your record, but if you do go for a trial then ticket will be $1000 if found guilty, so talk to some attorney and see what are your chances on this violation. And best place to get cheap attorney is at the court, get to court early and look around the hearing room you have to go, you gonna see few attorneys there just talk to one. Good luck
Like, literally everything is wrong about this post. Nothing here is true. Are you just letting your cat walk on the keyboard or something? Or are you just another itenerant troll?

Watup

Like, literally everything is wrong about this post. Nothing here is true. Are you just letting your cat walk on the keyboard or something? Or are you just another itenerant troll?
Dude i wrote my experience from two weeks ago, and plz do enlighten us with your trafic law degree .

DrivingForYou

Dude i wrote my experience from two weeks ago, and plz do enlighten us with your trafic law degree .
How about context. What state? I am referring to CALIFORNIA law, because that is the state the OP is discussing. If you are in a different state then your comments are notwithstanding.

Raven087

You should be removed from the platform. People may have died in a fire or some other horrible way because you only care about yourself and getting where you need to be as soon as possible.
Even if that involves cutting off emergency vehicles.

Please, do the right thing. Plead guilty and turn in your Lyft Amp.

JayAre

What is this itenerant you speak of? It sounds vaguely familiar.

DrivingForYou

What is this itenerant you speak of? It sounds vaguely familiar.
i·tin·er·ant
īˈtinərənt,iˈtinərənt/
adjective
  1. 1.
    traveling from place to place.
    "itinerant traders"
    synonyms: traveling, peripatetic, wandering, roving, roaming, touring, saddlebag, nomadic, gypsy, migrant, vagrant, vagabond, of no fixed address
    "itinerant traders"
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who travels from place to place.
    synonyms: traveler, wanderer, roamer, rover, nomad, gypsy, migrant, transient, drifter, vagabond, hobo, vagrant, tramp
    "an encampment of itinerants"