Failed Lyft inspection because of 1 inch 'star break' in windshield

tlon7

I failed my Lyft inspection (Maryland) because of a barely visible 1 inch 'star' break. I really wouldn't call it a crack or a break because when I run my fingernail over it, I can't feel any indentation. And you can only see the imperfection by eyeballing the windshield very slowly, and it has no effect on visibility. I tried a diy filler kit but there's really nothing to fill. The mark has been there for two years, and has never gotten bigger. Could the inspection station be looking for an 'upsell'? The place is also a full service car repair shop. Regardless, what kind of service could I get to fix this? It seems pretty dumb to have to replace an entire windshield. BTW, everything else passed with no problems.

25rides7daysaweek

I failed my Lyft inspection (Maryland) because of a barely visible 1 inch 'star' break. I really wouldn't call it a crack or a break because when I run my fingernail over it, I can't feel any indentation. And you can only see the imperfection by eyeballing the windshield very slowly, and it has no effect on visibility. I tried a diy filler kit but there's really nothing to fill. The mark has been there for two years, and has never gotten bigger. Could the inspection station be looking for an 'upsell'? The place is also a full service car repair shop. Regardless, what kind of service could I get to fix this? It seems pretty dumb to have to replace an entire windshield. BTW, everything else passed with no problems.
most jiffy lubes and pep boys just check the tire depth and cracked plastic bumpers..

KK2929

----------------
In L.A. a windshield replacement shop also can repair what you are talking about to prevent it from cracking and spreading.
Cost around $40

Jay Dean

I have a place I go to that only does inspections, been going almost 20 years, a lot of places fail inspections for more work to be done or to be jerks. I would look up places that do inspections only, doubt you will have any problem

ANT 7

Go get a new windshield.

Really there is no other choice. The reason for failure has probably already been put in the state computer system now. Any other location won't pass you. At least, that's how it works where I live.

UberBastid

It's just as well OP.
Windshield is not just to shield you from wind. It is an important piece of safety equipment.
A ding like that causes a weak spot. It can fail catastrophically if it takes another shot with even a small projectile, and during an accident it really needs to be structurally sound.

Christinebitg

I think that those people responding should note that he said it failed the **LYFT** inspection, not his state inspection.

UberLyftFlexWhatever

Just google “windshield chip repair maryland”

tohunt4me

You did Not Prepare your car Properly !

Attachments

Daisey77

I would just take it somewhere else. This is nonsense. I know my personal insurance company will send out someone to fill the crack for free. So you might want to check with your insurance as far as getting it filled. It all depends on your state Rideshare rules for Uber and Lyft rules for your state but here, as long as it's not bigger than a silver dollar and it does not affect your direct path of vision, it passes. Shops do try to upsell you. I just had it happen again with my brakes this last inspection. Brakes were pretty new and the guy told me he failed me because my rear brakes needed to be redone. He assumed I was past due for my inspection and enough quick attempt to get reactivated I would just pay what he quoted me. I have never laughed so hard in someone's face when he gave me the quote. Two brake pads, no rotors oh, just the brake pads = $427! Then I asked for his boss's email address to forward him our Public Utilities Commission handbook on the regulations for us rideshare drivers. Where it clearly stated he was failing me against regulations

Gtown Driver

I live in Maryland and used to take my car to VA for VA inspection once a year for Uber. Never had any problems. Only thing ever happened was first time I took my leased car in the guy said there was a bad oil leak in the car. Drove it for 60,000+ miles over about 2 years without much a problem other than a few accidents that never kept the vehicle from operating.

I mean I see those Safelite repair commercials on TV in MD all the damn time. The jingle is so good it sticks in your head. Probably should call their number.