Extra busy at ORD this morning

DrinkSoda

Have another aspirin and probably an extra cup coffee ready if you’re taking people there this morning. A 5:25 AM pick up from Lakeview on a 2.3 surge took 50 minutes. An earlier crash near Cumberland greatly aided. And more non-business travelers than usual.

ChiUberDude

Disappointing morning for me. First Monday in I don’t know how long I can remember that I did not get an ORD trip between 4-5am. I got this and saw the immediate aftermath of the crash near the Cumberland exit. One car rear ended another, both drivers looked ok but CFD fire trucks blocked off two of the west bound lanes right before the 190 exit. What should have been a 25 min trip at that time took 40 mins. I was still able to make it home in 30 mins but knew better than to try and head that way again at that time. If I didn’t lose that extra 15 mins I might have tried for another one of these.

26015BB9-FC63-4A3E-BD4A-4AF7F0E7E90A.jpeg

DrinkSoda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
2.4 and long drive? Drink cream soda! Friggin Leisure travelers still around? Depressing. Going back to bed.
This trend will likely continue through Labor Day weekend. Leisure travelers mixing in with the biz. Hopefully without the crashes. After my ORD drop off at 6:15 AM I made it to Old Town by 6:50 AM and picked up one more pax and dropped off in the Loop before calling it a day

UberBeemer

I turned down one (most likely) ORD run to have breakfast with one of my daughters. So even though I paid, I think it was more rewarding! :smiles:

I did get one trip there later. Oh, and one of my regulars paid a 2.6x surge for his ride to the train. All in all, not a terrible monday.

Greg1973

Got greedy. That’s tempting..
It's not good one Kaleb. It takes you 50mins to the airport. Pays around $35. And then what? Stack in traffic for another 50min coming back to surge area around 8.45am having already 30 miles.
Other alternative take Higgins or Devon with DF set to the city waste of time also.

Mindozas

It's not good one Kaleb. It takes you 50mins to the airport. Pays around $35. And then what? Stack in traffic for another 50min coming back to surge area around 8.45am having already 30 miles.
Other alternative take Higgins or Devon with DF set to the city waste of time also.
At 8am you would have gotten a rematch at base. I know that's against your stragedy, but rather sooner than later you gonna have to adjust to the changes done by Uber and Lyft.

Greg1973

At 8am you would have gotten a rematch at base. I know that's against your stragedy, but rather sooner than later you gonna have to adjust to the changes done by Uber and Lyft.
Can you guarantee a rematch to the city even at base fare or i should take my chances hoping not to end up Dubuque IA? :smiles:
Btw, i did the same money at the same time frame staying in the city with just 9mi not 30mi and having to suffer all of this on 90.
Going airport 7am is just not worth it.

SuperStar3000

Going airport 7am is just not worth it.
Bad luck to take airport runs after 5:30am.
Very few incoming flights at that hour, so you're unlikely to get a rematch ride out of there, and there are plenty of drivers piling up in the pit.
If you decide to wait in the pit, you burn up your city hours, and finally get a ride in time to participate in the morning rush-hour crawl back to the city.

Better to head straight to Rosemont, where you will probably hook a few short rides back to the airport, but each one presents another chance at a rematch, without wasting time in the pit.

If it's getting close to 7:00am, and you're still out there, high-tail it back to the city, but don't get on the Kennedy.
Take Touhy or Devon straight east to Rogers Park, where it will be surging in the lakefront neighborhoods.

And don't accept "Long Trip 45+" pings during rush-hour - you know where that's going.

Last edited:

Kaleb379

true only 13 miles on 1.9 isn't great, especially in traffic