Expected tip included taken advantage of

SHalester

(I can't comment on that as I have never used the service as a customer),
as a frequent flyer I have to say there is no way in the app to take back what I entered as a tip. BUT that only means I would need to contact support if something went sideways and it was clearly ON THE DRIVER.

For TBA I've never pulled back a tip or needed to contact GH support. And I try to rate each delivery, but that is a PITA with the GH app.
Post automatically merged:

I'd rather smell food
yeah, not me. I really hate (using that word on purpose) food smell in my car. Well, being honest, I'm not much for food smells while cooking either.
Plus, food smells ALL THE TIME whereas I've had only one pax (smoker breath from hell) that bothered me.....so far..... And food delivery is just TOO much work; in/out of the car, stairs here, stairs there. Nope, my knee would be done for in a few deliveries.

I more than make up for the above by indulging as a multi times per week consumer of food deliveries and when GH has $7 bucks or more off for switching to PU, I do that too.

Monkeyman4394

Okay, post all 50 examples then. Make sure to post all of your earnings history to show you are not ommitting any trips where it was less than the estimate. Oh wait, why would I care? Go ahead and knock yourself and waste all your time doing that. It won't change my opinion. Even if it was true that you've got 50 in a row that were good, the only thing I care about is MY experience, and in MY experience, the estimate has been more than the reality. Maybe the difference is that I mainly drive during the drunk hours:
I’ve had a few runs like this (with the truncated verbiage), but they have always later updated to at least the offer+tip amounts. It’s possible that we will sometimes get a tip amount lesser than estimated, but I’m fairly certain it’s due to extenuating circumstances (leaving Hooters wings by a sturdy bush because dicknuts couldn’t be bothered to leave a complete address).

guano

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3. The customers are able to create falsely large tips to get us to accept and change it mid delivery. I sent this message to uber that i will no longer be delivering for uber eats until this is fixed. Am i missing something? Do we have a solution for this? I'm not about to make $6/h. 🤔
It takes an hour hour and a half to get your tips

Monkeyman4394

Basically it looks like Uber lowers how much they pay off the tip and that’s bs I have been fortunate enough that I have received it all but it should be more if Uber is paying right $7 for 2 UE drop offs not including tip is crazy, which now just looks like they have always done this we just never knew.. tip should not be a board of what Uber pays us
If I get a pair of Uber Eats runs paying a total (Uber’s fare) of $7, those two runs are going a total of less than one mile and taking about 10 minutes (or less) total. Plus, I’m getting tipped on top of it.

Nats121

In the past, I at least knew a minimum amount that I would be paid for an Uber delivery. I might get tipped on top of it or I might not, but I could at least make sure that I was only accepting deliveries that would be profitable.
Your payouts from Uber must be unusually high, much higher than the ones I get here in the DC market because in the absence of tips, very few of my deliveries would be profitable.

The new system needs to be better (Uber should provide the tip and payout amounts separately during pings and tips should be non-refundable), but the new system is certainly better than the previous one in which Uber didn't show the tips in advance.

I don't expect tip-baiting to be anything more than a rare occurrence. If it's more than a rare occurrence, something will have to be done.

Much better to know a guaranteed amount than a "maybe" tip that is 50/50 going to be revoked by the delivery recipient over the slightest pretense.
Half of your customers are rescinding their tips? That's very hard to believe. Who and where are you delivering to? What are the restaurants? What time of day or night are you driving?

Last edited:

98bpm

I was not aware you can get in trouble for posting actual trip info. And I'm sure you understand that I don't have time to post 50 trips and especially if I need to doctor them to protect my job. But here are my trips from yesterday. You will notice the green checkmark by each one except the $16.68 one. But that was the expected amount. It was a huge order and the cheap kid didn't tip. But it was still worth my time.

View attachment 507619 View attachment 507621 View attachment 507620
Holy CRAP! Where in the world you YOU drive? I wish my area was this good. I rarely get orders with a double digit payout that’s less than 8 miles.

Maybe the difference is that I mainly drive during the drunk hours:
I work a LOT after midnight on all days of the week. The tip being included thing is new in my area, so I only have about 50-60 deliveries under the new system.

In all honesty, none paid less than the estimated amount and probably about 6-8 paid more. I take detailed notes and screenshots of all my deliveries, so I’m not just saying this from memory.

I do have to admit that relying on our own memories can be tricky. Example: a deal pays out a tip to make the entire delivery pay out $12 sixty minutes after you complete it. You feel it should have paid $13 or $14. But you then check your trusty screenshot and handwritten notes and see that the estimated amount was indeed only $12.

If you keep handwritten notes and take screenshots for 100 deals, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how seldom tips actually get reduced.

I honestly find that I am swearing to myself a lot less than I did before the change. You know, the old “those @&$”)$&& got me again!”

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3.Am i missing something?
If you are checking 30 minutes after delivery, you won’t see the tip. Wait until about 60-62 minutes after delivery before checking.

Last edited:

Helpmehome

Holy CRAP! Where in the world you YOU drive? I wish my area was this good. I rarely get orders with a double digit payout that’s less than 8 miles.
San Diego. Does your market show upfront tips yet? If so that really helps ensure that your orders are $10+. This is our prime tourist season so the numbers are better now than they will be for most of the year.

Monkeyman4394

San Diego. Does your market show upfront tips yet? If so that really helps ensure that your orders are $10+. This is our prime tourist season so the numbers are better now than they will be for most of the year.
Tourist season here is a bunch of @@@@@@@@ in Jeeps gathering in Gatlinburg.

joebo1963

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3. The customers are able to create falsely large tips to get us to accept and change it mid delivery. I sent this message to uber that i will no longer be delivering for uber eats until this is fixed. Am i missing something? Do we have a solution for this? I'm not about to make $6/h. 🤔
The same people that change or remove the tip are the same Uber pax that tell you they tip you in app and never do.

The only time I had that happen was when a customer tried to say they should have 4 items and the phone said 2 items. They blamed me and thumbs down and took the tip back.

Helpmehome

The only time I had that happen was when a customer tried to say they should have 4 items and the phone said 2 items. They blamed me and thumbs down and took the tip back.
So in other words, it's not happening to you because this happens but not very often.

Helpmehome

The same people that change or remove the tip are the same Uber pax that tell you they tip you in app and never do.
In my experience I've had very little experience of either happening. If someone mentions a tip its usually a small one, but they do usually tip.
What percentage of your customers are removing their tips?

Timtot2ooo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How does GH handle it since they have displayed the pretip much longer than UE?

What is the solution? To not display the tip at acceptance?
i think the solution is to included the original total and expected tip as two seperate entities.

Yeah, I think not. If I pretip and driver hoses up somehow I'm getting my tip back by any means. You don't reward bad puppies.
that's fine. but we are still being wronged by people conning us.

Timtot2ooo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya pays yr money and ya takes yr chances. And face it, most jobs are not problematic.
yeah but there is a solution. lmao

In my experience I've had very little experience of either happening. If someone mentions a tip its usually a small one, but they do usually tip.
What percentage of your customers are removing their tips?
I did it for 10h one day (mixed in with some uberx trips). it happened a little over half the time. This is Memphis TN though. Most people here are cheap as hell.

Alltel77

yeah but there is a solution. lmao

I did it for 10h one day (mixed in with some uberx trips). it happened a little over half the time. This is Memphis TN though. Most people here are cheap as hell.
Try to figure out how to work your market better. UE is NOT the same as PAX delivery. I will not be surprised if another fare cut is around the corner. It's already happening on stacked orders. UE is all about the tips , not the fare pay.