Expected tip included taken advantage of

Taxi2Uber

The best solution is for these shithead companies to pay the drivers a decent wage so that drivers don't have to be so dependent on tips.
And your solution is to keep driving for these "shithead companies" and whine about it at every opportunity?
In 2016 there had been a massive pay cut that caused most of the veteran drivers to quit Eats.
But not you, loyal Uber partner.
Last week I did a 5 mile delivery for which I was paid around $3.30 by Uber.
In 2017, Uber's payout for that trip would have been $9.97. That's a pay cut of around 67%.
Amazing! But you STILL DRIVE though.
So why would Uber pay you more, when paying you 67% less, you STILL DRIVE.
You are telling Uber there is no problem, so they don't need a solution.

Nats121

And your solution is to keep driving for these "shithead companies" and whine about it at every opportunity?
That's right shill, I need the flexible hours so I'm not going to cut and run, I'm going to fight for more money.

You must be worried that my comments could have some impact.

So why would Uber pay you more, when paying you 67% less, you STILL DRIVE.
Yeah Mr.Shill, I still drive because my tips are vastly higher than they were in 2017.

Amazing! But you STILL DRIVE though.
The truly "amazing" part of this is how much you give a shit about my comments about Uber. I doubt Dara would care as much as you do.

The fact my comments piss off the Uber apologists like you is just a bonus.

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3. The customers are able to create falsely large tips to get us to accept and change it mid delivery. I sent this message to uber that i will no longer be delivering for uber eats until this is fixed. Am i missing something? Do we have a solution for this? I'm not about to make $6/h. 🤔
The area you live/ work in must suck.

Planet Express Driver

Basically it looks like Uber lowers how much they pay off the tip and that’s bs I have been fortunate enough that I have received it all but it should be more if Uber is paying right $7 for 2 UE drop offs not including tip is crazy, which now just looks like they have always done this we just never knew.. tip should not be a board of what Uber pays us
Nope they just pay crap regardless. Tip or no tip. If you get a generous Uber payout that's cause 20 others rejected before you and it's been sitting for a while

Fuzzyelvis

W
I had a tip rescinded for the first time a couple of days ago. He ordered 15 wings from Hooters. No sauce. It’s going to an apartment complex with building numbers and individual unit numbers. Neither is on the order. I send a text as soon as I’m in my car (10 minutes from destination); no answer as I’m driving. I get to the complex and call. Straight to voicemail. The 8-minute timer sucks, so I call support. They text him, call twice. They tell me to put it somewhere safe and take a picture. I place it next to what appears to be a sturdy, safe bush and snap a picture. One hour later, $6.50 tip vanishes, and thumbs down appears. Now I’m at 99% and he went wingless.
Why didn't you just go with the 8 minute timer and keep the food?

I had one last night who must have fallen asleep. He evidently didn't wake up in time to rescind the tip. I got the food and the full expected amount.

I start the timer. Uber tries to contact the customer at that point I assume. It's not my problem anymore then.

Monkeyman4394

W
Why didn't you just go with the 8 minute timer and keep the food?

I had one last night who must have fallen asleep. He evidently didn't wake up in time to rescind the tip. I got the food and the full expected amount.

I start the timer. Uber tries to contact the customer at that point I assume. It's not my problem anymore then.
Because it was much quicker to go through support—maybe 3 minutes on the phone. And I don’t eat Hooters food.

Trafficat

...is that throwing the baby out with the bath water? And if one pretips and the driver completely screws up? Then what?
They should either go back to showing the pre-tip amount or make the tip non-changeable. That way the driver can get an accurate idea of what the payout will be for the delivery. Showing the tip in advance provides a driver an incentive to do a job he otherwise would not, versus the normal tipping procedure of just giving a driver a gift for a job he would do with or without it. If the driver screws up on a non-changeable tip, give the driver a thumbs down. I personally feel like most of the downrates are not the driver fault anyway, but the resturaunt for doing a poor job packaging the food or failing to include items, or taking forever. I've had a lot of downrates for "late to dropoff" but I never lollygag. It isn't my fault if I get to the restaurant and they make me wait 30 minutes to pick up the food. I get a lot of messages about checking to make sure everything is in the order but usually the bags are sealed so you cannot check. I also tend to get the "item seem like they've been tampered with" complaint. A lot of restaurants also fail to include a sealed bag or a professional presentation. Seems almost like we need to provide our own sealable bags and seal tape to make up for the restaurants that don't do it right.

I personally think the change to "post-tip" amount was done deliberately to give drivers false-incentives.

In my market, it is even worse. It shows "estimated payout including tip" and apparently tip is not even pre-charged but it is just guessing what a "reasonable tip" might be. I recently did a double delivery with estimated payout of $18. Payout was only $12 at first, then a tip was added a few hours later on one of the two to bring it up to $15. Since I know 60%+ of deliveries do not include tips, I know the "estimated payout" is just BS to try and get drivers to drive for deliveries that don't pay out much. Actually, $12 delivery is not bad. I'd accept a $12 delivery without tip. But now when it says $12 ESTIMATED, I know it will probably ACTUALLY be a $5 delivery with no tip.

Last edited:

DJJoeyZ

This is just wishful thinking here, but to prevent bait & switch tipping from cheap ass customers, what if after the 3rd bait & switch, UE sent the customer a email saying they detected fraudulent activity and their account is suspended?

Helpmehome

Anyone notice that the OP posted and never returned? I also caught this time that he said "30 minutes later I'm only getting $3". Right. It still takes an hour for the tips to show up. So maybe 30 minutes after his post he realized he actually still got the tips.

Did 19 deliveries today. Not one of them lowered the tip.
Post automatically merged:

Tonight I had nobody drop a tip and I had 4 deliveries increase the tip. So for those of you who want the tip feature locked upfront, I would have made $27 less today if that was the case. Here were the increases:

$5
$6
$8
$8

Nats121

They should either go back to showing the pre-tip amount or make the tip non-changeable. That way the driver can get an accurate idea of what the payout will be for the delivery.
No way should they go back to hiding the tips.

Instead, they should make the system better by showing BOTH their payout and the expected tip separately. And tips should be non-refundable.

But given the choice between seeing the expected total or seeing Uber's payout I'd absolutely choose to see the expected total. It's a no-brainer.

The new system is paying off for me. I can now accept longer deliveries.

Knock on wood no one has removed or reduced their tip and 3 out of the last 8 customers have INCREASED their tips.

Helpmehome

No way should they go back to hiding the tips.

Instead, they should make the system better by showing BOTH their payout and the expected tip separately. And tips should be non-refundable.

But given the choice between seeing the expected total or seeing Uber's payout I'd absolutely choose to see the expected total. It's a no-brainer.

The new system is paying off for me. I can now accept longer deliveries.

Knock on wood no one has removed or reduced their tip and 3 out of the last 8 customers have INCREASED their tips.

This is my point. Those of us doing deliveries and checking our tips after are noticing this is a huge benefit. And if anything Uber is low balling the tips upfront because far more are increasing it than lowering it.

BigBadDeliveryMonster

For me, when the customer fails to tip and the expected amount included a tip, UE has kicked in extra money via "trip supplement". But yeah sometimes it takes 1-2 hours for everything to show once I've ended my day.
Post automatically merged:

Also my decline rate has gone down quite a bit with tips showing, and I think that's very valuable to UE.

Trek Shuffler

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3. The customers are able to create falsely large tips to get us to accept and change it mid delivery. I sent this message to uber that i will no longer be delivering for uber eats until this is fixed. Am i missing something? Do we have a solution for this? I'm not about to make $6/h. 🤔

Do you ever check the waybill? Maybe they are orders another driver has cancelled and you become the scapegoat.

Alltel77

This is being taken advantage of. Actual DD employees or the actual United Way employees or VOLUNTEERS should be doing this for free using their own cars. It was 1:30pm when I received this garbage. I'm out here to make money not play Mother Theresa.

Attachments

• 20200914_154944.jpg
    20200914_154944.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 40

SHalester

Showing the tip in advance provides a driver an incentive to do a job he otherwise would not,
as a customer I fully agree. I tip to motivate the driver to not dawdle. I was mystified what UE gave me the ability to pre-tip, but did NOT show the driver at ping (or whatever food ping is called). The driver would see is hours later; what's the point of that? GH showed the pretip to the drivers.
Now UE has fixed that problem by showing the driver at ping, the tip entered by the customer. Seems THAT is causing way more complaints then when the driver had no clue until hours later. Poor uber can't with with customers or drivers. Poor poor Uber.... :rolleyes:

And to those who feel Uber is stealing or adjusting fares: they could have done that before you could see the pretip and nobody would have been the wiser.
....and for full disclosure I stopped using UE because they simply can NOT handle a scheduled order; moved all my food orders to GH, which can handle them and for much longer has displayed the pretip, exactly as entered, to the driver at acceptance.

MikhailCA

...is that throwing the baby out with the bath water? And if one pretips and the driver completely screws up? Then what?
Complaining, Uber/DD/GH will return money in first time, but if they people from this building/house or neighborhood complain every second order, screw them, they are not the customers somebody want to. I think it’s fair.

Trafficat

as a customer I fully agree. I tip to motivate the driver to not dawdle. I was mystified what UE gave me the ability to pre-tip, but did NOT show the driver at ping (or whatever food ping is called). The driver would see is hours later; what's the point of that? GH showed the pretip to the drivers.
Now UE has fixed that problem by showing the driver at ping, the tip entered by the customer. Seems THAT is causing way more complaints then when the driver had no clue until hours later. Poor uber can't with with customers or drivers. Poor poor Uber.... :rolleyes:

Much better to know a guaranteed amount than a "maybe" tip that is 50/50 going to be revoked by the delivery recipient over the slightest pretense.

GrubHub and Doordash show the tip ahead of time... but they don't let the recipient revoke the tip after the delivery like instascam or UE.

Or eliminate tips and replace with an increase in driver pay by 20% of order totals.
I delivered a single burrito for Taco Bell the other night. I think it was like $1. That tip would amount to a $0.20 tip. Tipping by percent of order total doesn't really make too much sense... It costs the driver the same to deliver a $40 meal as a $3 meal.