Expected tip included taken advantage of

Timtot2ooo

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3. The customers are able to create falsely large tips to get us to accept and change it mid delivery. I sent this message to uber that i will no longer be delivering for uber eats until this is fixed. Am i missing something? Do we have a solution for this? I'm not about to make $6/h. 🤔

Nats121

How does GH handle it since they have displayed the pretip much longer than UE?
I used to deliver for Doordash and I don't recall ever losing a tip after delivery. If it happened I didn't see it.

I'd also like to know how GH and DD handle it.

What is the solution? To not display the tip at acceptance?
Hiding the tip during ping is not a solution.

How to handle instances of bad behavior by drivers is a dilemma because offering customers refunds on tips gives sleazebag customers the opportunity to engage in tip-baiting.

The best solution is for these shithead companies to pay the drivers a decent wage so that drivers don't have to be so dependent on tips.

I started in 2017. In 2016 there had been a massive pay cut that caused most of the veteran drivers to quit Eats.

When I started in 2017, the pay rates were...

$2.85 Pickup Fee

$1.20 Per Mile

$1.12 Dropoff Fee

Last week I did a 5 mile delivery for which I was paid around $3.30 by Uber.

In 2017, Uber's payout for that trip would have been $9.97. That's a pay cut of around 67%.

Seamus

...is that throwing the baby out with the bath water? And if one pretips and the driver completely screws up? Then what?
I understand that when pre tipping if the driver screws up then people would be upset they tipped well and can't take it back. However the far more common issue that has been proven on Instacart is that customers manipulate the tip to get drivers to deliver their items and then take it away.

Their are deliveries that no one would do because of distance, time required, etc.etc.. Experienced customers learn that if they want their delivery they must tip generously. Part of my territory is in the "boondocks" 20-30 minutes from life. If they don't tip well they aren't getting their food. A bait and switch tip could mean a driver could spend a lot of time and miles for a little amount of money.

If tips could be changed on GH and DD and it happened I would stop doing deliveries that don't make financial sense without a good tip. The customers would suffer.

SHalester

that customers manipulate the tip to get drivers to deliver their items and then take it away.
would be interesting to know the stats on when tips are 'adjusted', after the delivery.

As a paying customer I tip for food always. A bit more during CV19 ie from 15% to 20%(ish). I was TO'd when UE did NOT display the tip at acceptance. I mean, why bother tipping in advance if the driver can't even see what was entered. One of the reason I gave GH all my food biz. And for TBA (tone, balance and accuracy) I have never adjusted a tip after the fact.

Nats121

I understand that when pre tipping if the driver screws up then people would be upset they tipped well and can't take it back. However the far more common issue that has been proven on Instacart is that customers manipulate the tip to get drivers to deliver their items and then take it away.

Their are deliveries that no one would do because of distance, time required, etc.etc.. Experienced customers learn that if they want their delivery they must tip generously. Part of my territory is in the "boondocks" 20-30 minutes from life. If they don't tip well they aren't getting their food. A bait and switch tip could mean a driver could spend a lot of time and miles for a little amount of money.

If tips could be changed on GH and DD and it happened I would stop doing deliveries that don't make financial sense without a good tip. The customers would suffer.
GH and DD don't allow customers to reduce or delete their tips?

There's no perfect solution to this dilemma. I come down on the side of tips being non-refundable. If a driver acts like a @@@@@@bag Uber can offer the customer some sort of credit or coupon.

It's in Uber's best interests for this to succeed because if tip-baiting becomes a problem, drivers will be less likely than ever to accept long deliveries.

98bpm

Over the last two nights, I've been noticing one particular amount in the UE app when an order becomes available, only to get a smaller amount when I complete the delivery. I also noticed that I would get multiple notifications that I had received a tip for the exact same dollar amount (some never matched the tip amount from any of my trips). I called customer support and last night was told there are others who have complained and that it's being put in front of the developers. I have been getting some really undesirable orders for like $3.00 for a 7+ mile trip, so this bait method is deceptive and disturbing.

RVA79

Ive had too many rides where the expected total was around 11 or more, then 30 minutes later, after completing the trip, i earn just $3. The customers are able to create falsely large tips to get us to accept and change it mid delivery. I sent this message to uber that i will no longer be delivering for uber eats until this is fixed. Am i missing something? Do we have a solution for this? I'm not about to make $6/h. 🤔
Yes apparently thats what they are doing now including the expected tip as a way for us to have more info. Its deceptive. If i accept a trip for 12 I expect to get that once the deliveries are done. I did 2 drop offs today for 7$ for a trip that was guaranteed 12. They claim they changed this 3 weeks ago and sent an email. Lie. Only email I got was for alcohol delivery and I drove 2 weeks ago and it wasn't this way. They sent a message within the app a week ago about it. They should have left it the way it was. I dont want to be plating the dam guessing game. It doesn't even tell u if it's 1 drop off or more when you accept the order. Its total bs. I complained about it as well. Hopefully they do something about it

RVA79

I used to deliver for Doordash and I don't recall ever losing a tip after delivery. If it happened I didn't see it.

How to handle instances of bad behavior by drivers is a dilemma because offering customers refunds on tips gives sleazebag customers the opportunity to engage in tip-baiting.

The best solution is for these shithead companies to pay the drivers a decent wage so that drivers don't have to be so dependent on tips.

I started in 2017. In 2016 there had been a massive pay cut that caused most of the veteran drivers to quit Eats.

$2.85 Pickup Fee

$1.20 Per Mile

$1.12 Dropoff Fee

In 2017, Uber's payout for that trip would have been $9.97. That's a pay cut of around 67%.
I'd rather have the base pay shown without what the customer tips this way i know I'm making the money I need to guaranteed. If I make more with tips great if not I made what I need to. I've been delivering for a couple years. Only had a handful of ppl not tip.

Monkeyman4394

I had a tip rescinded for the first time a couple of days ago. He ordered 15 wings from Hooters. No sauce. It’s going to an apartment complex with building numbers and individual unit numbers. Neither is on the order. I send a text as soon as I’m in my car (10 minutes from destination); no answer as I’m driving. I get to the complex and call. Straight to voicemail. The 8-minute timer sucks, so I call support. They text him, call twice. They tell me to put it somewhere safe and take a picture. I place it next to what appears to be a sturdy, safe bush and snap a picture. One hour later, $6.50 tip vanishes, and thumbs down appears. Now I’m at 99% and he went wingless.

tohunt4me

$2.85 Pickup Fee

$1.20 Per Mile

$1.12 Dropoff Fee

$2.85 Pickup Fee

$1.20 Per Mile

$1.12 Dropoff Fee

So much for pay Raises !

No cost of Living Increase here . . .

Fuzzyelvis

Have you checked 3 hours later to see if it's changed? They don't show the total with the tip right after the drop-off. They say it's an hour, but mine are almost always at least 2 hours. I haven't had a tip taken back yet, but I only deliver to nice neighborhoods.

Nats121

I had a tip rescinded for the first time a couple of days ago. He ordered 15 wings from Hooters. No sauce. It’s going to an apartment complex with building numbers and individual unit numbers. Neither is on the order. I send a text as soon as I’m in my car (10 minutes from destination); no answer as I’m driving. I get to the complex and call. Straight to voicemail. The 8-minute timer sucks, so I call support. They text him, call twice. They tell me to put it somewhere safe and take a picture. I place it next to what appears to be a sturdy, safe bush and snap a picture. One hour later, $6.50 tip vanishes, and thumbs down appears. Now I’m at 99% and he went wingless.
Even though the customer was 100% at fault, you followed procedure 100%, and an Uber tech support called and texted the customer twice Uber is probably going to classify this as a "failed delivery" on your part and hold it against you.