Exaggerated earnings and number of trips

Great1z

This really has nothing to do with our actual job with Uber. But has anyone else heard from passengers about Uber drivers making exorbitant amounts of money in a short amount of time or taking a large number of trips and a short amount of time? I had a passenger yesterday tell me their last driver said they made $1,200 working the Bills game last weekend. And another tell me they got 150 trips on a Friday night. If either one of those are true I am definitely doing this wrong!

golfinganddriving

Do not believe it. I suspect my situation is more realistic: today, Sunday, I was out from 2 PM till 7:30 PM. I made $105. It was steady all day, except for a 10-15 minute lull after an airport dropoff (no did not wait in the arrivals queue - was driving back to the city).
I thought it was a good day for me, very steady. But doing the math, that is a hair over $19 / hour. Gas cost me approx. 10% at my mileage which is pretty good. So knock that down to $17.10.
Now, this is with no surge rides, no boost rides etc. Just straight fares. $11 of this was tips.

Yesterday, Saturday, I drove 6 hours in the day, then 2 and change at night (ending at 11:30 PM - I never drive after midnight). I made $145. I had a few slow times, all in the late morning time-frame, but mostly steady after that. Doing the math that is $18.12 per hour. This is $16.31 after gas. Lots of rides but only 2 people tipped me, for a total of $12.

What I calculate for auto use is approx. 10%. But I offset that with my income tax savings, due to all the mileage writeoffs.

If I drove later and got some surges or better tips, I could possibly hit $25 an hour. I have had those occasional rare hours where I made a lot more per hour (upwards of 40-50) but those are rare. Maybe someday if our customer base grows we can get these rates up, but for now I think I need to accept this situation or find another part time gig. I am reasonably happy with this though for now.

FYI, I am an Uber X, 4 seater.

Merc7186

This really has nothing to do with our actual job with Uber. But has anyone else heard from passengers about Uber drivers making exorbitant amounts of money in a short amount of time or taking a large number of trips and a short amount of time? I had a passenger yesterday tell me their last driver said they made $1,200 working the Bills game last weekend. And another tell me they got 150 trips on a Friday night. If either one of those are true I am definitely doing this wrong!

...anything less than $1000 per day or 100 rides and you should quit. LOL.

Think of other drivers like you're pax, some are super cool, most are managable, some are complete lunatics.

I get discouraged with anything less than $20/he driving X/XL...and that's with driving Thurs-Fri-Sat Night Drunk Shift.

ShinyAndChrome

It's typical passenger nonsense, although it's possible the driver told him that, maybe as a joke. I had a passenger tell me yesterday you can make a good living driving in san diego. Now, I know they pay more down there, but come on, nobody makes a good living driving uber even in the rich markets.

This sort of urban legend is why there are so many drivers on the road (that and the fact a lot don't calculate their overhead properly). People think they can make $40/hour and only pay a few bucks in gas. The best 4.5 hour stint I have done netted me about $16.50/hour. On slow evenings like a weeknight evening (which I have stopped doing) I could make as little as $8-9/hour after costs. Typically I'm around $12-13/hour net, driving an xl.

As for the bills game, maybe it was 8X surging for several hours straight. I don't know. I doubt it. 150 trips would be completely impossible. Even if you got 4 minute pings and 5 minute drop offs back to back to back to back all night long it would still take 21 hours to do that many trips, and that would never happen.
Do not believe it. I suspect my situation is more realistic: today, Sunday, I was out from 2 PM till 7:30 PM. I made $105. It was steady all day, except for a 10-15 minute lull after an airport dropoff (no did not wait in the arrivals queue - was driving back to the city).
I thought it was a good day for me, very steady. But doing the math, that is a hair over $19 / hour. Gas cost me approx. 10% at my mileage which is pretty good. So knock that down to $17.10.
Your costs are way higher than you have stated. Depreciation on your vehicle is accelerated and can be calculated at a per mile rate. Then you have maintenance and repairs as well. Miles consume tires, oil, brakes, alternator, transmission, etc.. I don't know what you drive but I bet your take home is more in the $11-14 range depending on what it is. I have a 4.5 year old car and my proper costs are $.25/mile, with gas about $.12/mile. My overhead is approximately 35-40%. And that is if I hit the entire mile write off and pay no taxes.

SpongemanGreg

I rode an uber with my wife yesterday and the dude claimed he grossed 5 grand in 2 months driving for uber and lyft. I call BS on it.

SpongemanGreg

I stand corrected. I'll ask my wife to make sure I heard him correctly. Beer does that to ya, at least me anyways.

Merc7186

I rode an uber with my wife yesterday and the dude claimed he grossed 5 grand in 2 months driving for uber and lyft. I call BS on it.

Actually, as soon as I cleared $5K, I took that money and bought myself a minivan strictly for Uber/Lyft. Now I don't beat the hell out of my actual car and qualify XL.

I am not a full time driver by any means, typically drive about 20-24 hours per week but that first weekend, 4 of July weekend and Labor day weekend were gold mines. Now my goal is $400 per week and I have had no problems clearing it since I am XL.

Lurking

I'm curious about XL vs X. How many (what percentage) of your pings are for XL vs X? Do you ever reject an X call, hoping for an XL? Will you go farther for an XL pickup than X? Can you compare XL surges to X surges? Considering the greater operational expenses (like gas), how much more profitable is XL for you?

Last edited:

ShinyAndChrome

I have an XL. I would say approx 1/5th of them are XL (I do a lot of daytime stuff now). I will sometimes reject x or lyft calls but never because I am hoping an XL would come through, just the x/lyft is too far. Driving the drunk hours 1/4 to 1/3 are probably XL, but it's not just "free money". It's more bothersome driving an entire vehicle of drunks around than one with a couple in it.

I've had two xl that are just one person and I honestly believe they just weren't paying attention when they ordered the ride. Other times I've had only 3-4 but they have bags or just want some guaranteed extra space and not get squeezed into a tiny car.

When there are tons of cars around and you get an XL it's satisfying because you know that XL differentiated you from the crowd and it is a definite competitive advantage. However, the higher cost of the vehicle plus worse on gas I'm not sure how much more it makes. The majority of my calls are still x and I'm only getting 21 MPG, plus it's in a vehicle that has more expensive tires, brakes, etc.

If I was buying a car only for uber I suppose I might get an XL instead of an old prius, but I wouldn't buy an XL specifically for uber if I didn't otherwise need one; e.g. if you have a sedan you like, don't sell it and buy an XL thinking you'll be making big bank on it. I have an XL because we have kids and need the space. If we ever downsize and I'm still doing uber I can't see myself keeping an XL just to get that extra bit of pings.

As for going further I absolutely would go further for a pickup. The ride pays 50% more so I'm okay driving a little further for it.

Merc7186

I'm curious about XL vs X. How many (what percentage) of your pings are for XL vs X? Do you ever reject an X call, hoping for an XL? Will you go farther for an XL pickup than X? Can you compare XL surges to X surges? Considering the greater operational expenses (like gas), how much more profitable is XL for you?

So if you're asking about X and XL, does that make you bi-curious???

For me, the difference between my X vehicle and my XL vehicle is literally 50% more in gas (33 MPH vs 22 MPH) but my wear and tear and maintenance is virtually the same.

As for rides, I would say that I am on average of about 30-40% XL pickups. I don't reject X fares hoping I get an XL because that XL fare may never come.

Now think about how many times you show up to a X fare and there are 5 college kids standing there...well, I don't have to have the argument with them....hop on in. Then when the ride is over 'Hello Uber, fare adjustment please.....thanks'. Or even better, showing up to a X pickup and there are bunch of kids there...4 hop in and I merely suggest that I can take 2 more....ride ends and fare adjustment request goes in immediately. Plus, I always recommend the fate splitting feature.

XL rates are typically 50% more on a regular...now if I caught a XL surge, then it's only better for me. I am a little more forgiving on wait time and ping distance when it comes to Uber Xl/Lyft Plus.

Here's another advantage, I'm running on two platforms, so I have more chances of getting a ping and there are typically a lot less XL vehicles around.

I have actually bought a used minivan recently specifically for Uber, just I can save my own car and run XL.

Last edited:

ShinyAndChrome

I am a little more forgiving on wait time and ping distance when it comes to Uber Xl/Lyft Plus..
Me, too. Pulled up to hotel the other day and they were dragging their ass, but I knew they were going to the airport so I waited. Total wait time was about 9 min. The rided was 2 miles (not airport)! But it was $10 and the lady was so apologetic she gave me $10. 25 minutes, 4 miles on the van, and $20. 2 of them were in the car a few min in so it was harder to boot them, but it worked out.

Teach1

150 rides impossible do the math. 1440 mins per day. He would have to have a ride every 8 mins continuously for 24 hrs. When Uber first came here guys would say the same. I don't know why... it must them feel good. It's hard to get 100 rides a week. My goal. Each week is 700. I usually get 60-75 rides a week.

ROCuberguy585

I had a guy in my car this morning who was totally full of crab (tell me if I'm wrong Lyft drivers).

Pick this guy up from muffler shop on Fairport rd to go to MCC. Tells me he's a Lyft driver, tells me he doesn't do Uber cause he makes more with Lyft. Tells me when he gets off work at 2am tonight he'll go online and take one b ride and that he sometimes makes up to $60 on that ride with surge. I don't drive Lyft but I've been around enough to know that's just insane. He also took his car in to get a louder sounding exhaust. Doesn't make any sense for a driver to do. He did tip though which is rare for his age. I'm thinking he is a driver but is just lying about his fares.