EWR/NEWARK PENN

General

So, what's the verdict? Is Newark crossed off of your to go to list completely? A hell hole that just became even more hellish with the threat of towing? And is it just going to be in front of Penn/EWR or is the whole city on UBER LOOKOUT??

Serious question though. Where I live, those 2 destinations are 40% of my business since I do this part time from early AM to noonish. Am I screwed? Money has been helpful. Will I get busted dropping off at Penn or EWR? I can live without the pickups there, but the inability to do drop offs are a killer for me.

Last edited:

AdriUberX

For me personally both places are a write off as well as the rest of the city. I will continue to do events at Prudential since I walk every PAX to my parked car and stay out of the way of traffic and looking obvious. Aside from that... That city is not worth driving to me for the hassle. Risk out weighs the reward heavily.

Coffeekeepsmedriving

I saw them towing cars on Friday and Saturday from the east side of Penn.
I didn't know it was on again and dropped a passenger off right in front of a unmarked police car.
i was lucky and ran like hell to kearny .
unmarked cars were in front and side..
After that i google uber Newark and seen it was still on...Not worth it for me.

Moondance

I was at newark on Friday working the prudential center. I got pinged via lyft for pickup at newark penn. Against advise I went for the ride. Umdercover cops all over. I saw 3 drivers pylled over. Mot sure if uber or lyft. And it was not NJ transit cops. It was newark cops. I got lucky the passenger saw me and jumped in front seat. Newark pickup is dead for me.

Old Dude

So, what's the verdict? Is Newark crossed off of your to go to list completely? A hell hole that just became even more hellish with the threat of towing? And is it just going to be in front of Penn/EWR or is the whole city on UBER LOOKOUT??

Serious question though. Where I live, those 2 destinations are 40% of my business since I do this part time from early AM to noonish. Am I screwed? Money has been helpful. Will I get busted dropping off at Penn or EWR? I can live without the pickups there, but the inability to do drop offs are a killer for me.
At this point, I strongly recommend you to stay away from both of these places. I have a bullet-proof protection from getting a ticket, but even with that I don't like get into a trouble. Having said this, I do not agree with some people here about not working in Newark. It’s the largest city in NJ with dense pax population. Some of these people work in upper scale areas and potential of making long trips on surge is always there. A lot of college students, professors office workers using Uber/Lyft as well Obviously, there are some bad areas in Newark, and going there at night for picking passengers is not wise, but working during the day time is no more different than working in Manhattan. Again, it’s my personal view; I do at times go to Newark to drop off, and stay there for a surge ping which is quite frequent occasion.

Ub1

Be careful!!
I just dropped off my son at terminal C, Newark EWR. There was a Newark cop in the middle of the road just before entering the terminal. He was visually inspecting every single car ( I assume he is looking for Uber drivers since they have announced they would as of this week). One more reason not to drive!

relaxnride

Newark is a typical democrat pay to play city. Since no Uber money is going to the city or its politicians, they are using the popo to generate money for the city. Give it time, this to shall pass.

Old Dude

Easy enough - just tell them about the new law that came in effect on Feb 22. Tell them to write or call to office of Newark Mayor Baraka to voice their displeasure. And tell them to call a cab.

rwelb

Alrite so what do you guys do when you get a pax that wants to go to ewr? How do you break the news to them? What do you say?
Just have some type of pre-written text to your passengers, saw this written the other day in another thread...Hello this is your Uber driver. Please take that note that Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station trips via UberX/Lyft are against Newark City policy and are accompanied by harsh penalties and vehicle possession. If your end destination is one of these two locations, please cancel your request and make arrangements with another driver or a certified taxi/limousine service. Thank you for understanding and I hope to see you in a few minutes.

Last edited:

ROYALSAVAGE

Newark is a typical democrat pay to play city. Since no Uber money is going to the city or its politicians, they are using the popo to generate money for the city. Give it time, this to shall pass.
No - they are in the process of trying to sell 16.5 million in new taxi licenses. Can't do that with ride share taking revenue. They are looking for 50 jerks with $330000 each to invest. That's why they want uber gone. It's so bad that even the taxi guys sued the city.

text

How does Uber have my back? Will they pay all the fees and fines associated if I get caught?

If NJ says no Uber pick up/drop offs to Newark airport or penn station then why can't they deny the entries for the person entering the request.

For example: If I am in the airport and need a ride, the app should automatically deny my request for an Uber ride (based off of GPS location).

Same goes if they are home and request a ride to go to the airport. If they enter the address of the airport it should also deny the request.

Let me ask the dumb question. If I have the pax sit in the front seat and we both keep our phones out of site, how the hell with these dimwit cops know we are ride share?

rwelb

Let me ask the dumb question. If I have the pax sit in the front seat and we both keep our phones out of site, how the hell with these dimwit cops know we are ride share?
That's one way to get around it, but your passenger just has to be aware and comfortable with it

How does Uber have my back? Will they pay all the fees and fines associated if I get caught?

If NJ says no Uber pick up/drop offs to Newark airport or penn station then why can't they deny the entries for the person entering the request.

For example: If I am in the airport and need a ride, the app should automatically deny my request for an Uber ride (based off of GPS location).

Same goes if they are home and request a ride to go to the airport. If they enter the address of the airport it should also deny the request.
They hire you as an independent contractor, so they leave it up to you to figure out the laws and regulations in your state since they claim to be a "technology company". That's the least they can do is reimburse you if you get a ticket or impounded, but who really wants to go through the hassle of having to go to court, uber office, and possibly the impound lot and put up all that money up front and wait to be reimbursed. On top of it too I doubt they pay for the time lost of not driving if you somehow get your car in the impound.

rwelb

Why are you promoting illegal TLC pickups in NJ
Thats a copy and paste of someone elses reply, go ask that person. They obviously mistaken TLC drivers to be in NJ and I overlooked the mistake as well, so just a simple edit is all

Last edited: