Every one needs to watch this.

amountstax

Past couple weeks been wondering how I can never seem to get ahead driving for Uber/Lyft
This video explains pretty well. Any way been doing both Uber/Lyft for about 6 months and currently looking for other work.

KK2929

Old film -- she states Uber takes 25% ???? Try 40% to 65%
States that tipping drivers is not allowed ---
Definitely true that driver pay is low after expenses and the up side is ready cash immediately. An advantage until tax time.
This was filmed over a year ago. All the conditions she talks about are worse today.

ZenUber

She's doing Fuzzy math. It's all percentages, but no hard numbers.
I do my own math along with my accountant - thank you. Granted, I'm not getting rich - and Granted, I have to put in long hours - But I assure you, I'm making some profit.

Erin C Banning

plus, her calculation is based exclusively on the pay per mile (doesn't factor in any pay per minute or the base rate or minimum fare bump -- which all can be minor) and doesn't include tax deductions. Overly simplistic analysis, and implicitly assumes full-time driving only. Admittedly, the video's old and may have been relevant at that time.

That being said, her bottom line conclusion isn't wrong in essence under most circumstances, and I imagine the numbers aren't that far off either today. But that's part of the reason I only drive part-time, and only under the most favorable/busiest circumstances, and in a car that is already depreciating at a substantial rate from being used daily for commuting.

ANTlifebaby

Same posters will claim in one breath that no one is making money, and yet complain that there are too many drivers on the road.

It doesn't make sense.

Nats121

Same posters will claim in one breath that no one is making money, and yet complain that there are too many drivers on the road.

It doesn't make sense.
It may not make sense to you, but that's exactly what's been going on for years.

Even though Americans by and large abandoned rideshare driving after the disastrous rate cuts of 2014-15, perpetually large numbers of Third World immigrants continue to sign up, despite ALL the pay cuts.

The results are poor pay rates and LOTS of drivers.

ANTlifebaby

It may not make sense to you, but that's exactly what's been going on for years.

Even though Americans by and large abandoned rideshare driving after the disastrous rate cuts of 2014-15, perpetually large numbers of Third World immigrants continue to sign up, despite ALL the pay cuts.

It's not that it doesn't make sense to me. It's that it doesn't make sense. You can't have both, end stop.

Water finds its level. No one shovels dirt for free. If drivers weren't making money, there simply wouldn't be as many on the road. It's quite literally supply and demand at its most basic level.

Nats121

It's not that it doesn't make sense to me. It's that it doesn't make sense. You can't have both, end stop.

Water finds its level. No one shovels dirt for free. If drivers weren't making money, there simply wouldn't be as many on the road. It's quite literally supply and demand at its most basic level.
Most drivers are making next to nothing, that's the primary reason that less than 3% of drivers last a year doing this job.

As I said, few Americans will tolerate this situation, but Third World immigrants will... for a limited time... until they discover there's no money in this job.

Once said immigrant realizes there's little profit left after expenses, they quit, but by that time, uber has already signed up 1+ immigrants to replace him.

Since 2014, uber and lyft have been waging a war of attrition against their drivers, and up to now they've been winning decisively.

Uber needs TWO THINGS to keep our pay rates in the toilet. Without BOTH, pay rates will RISE substantially...

1) A reliably large source of replacement driver signups.

2) Hide destinations from the drivers.

Wildgoose

She's doing Fuzzy math. It's all percentages, but no hard numbers.
I do my own math along with my accountant - thank you. Granted, I'm not getting rich - and Granted, I have to put in long hours - But I assure you, I'm making some profit.
Agree with you, sir. She just failed to mention the part that Uber pays for driving time as well. In my area, 20Cents/minute which mean $12 an hour. Her calculations was on all about pay rate on miles. But here what I've learnt was we couldn't count on pay rate on mile which is going into gas and all other expenses.

Erin C Banning

Agree with you, sir. She just failed to mention the part that Uber pays for driving time as well. In my area, 20Cents/minute which mean $12 an hour. Her calculations was on all about pay rate on miles. But here what I've learnt was we couldn't count on pay rate on mile which is going into gas and all other expenses.
oof ... in my area, is only 10 cents per minute :/

Smoothjukes17

If you hit incentives you make back what’s you spend on gas depending what tier you choose.

DayDreaner

Old film -- she states Uber takes 25% ???? Try 40% to 65%
States that tipping drivers is not allowed ---
Definitely true that driver pay is low after expenses and the up side is ready cash immediately. An advantage until tax time.
This was filmed over a year ago. All the conditions she talks about are worse today.
Uber takes 75%, Lyft takes 73.6%, 3yrs ago Uber was 50/50, however no tips which at that time they advertised the fact no tipping and encourage riders not to tip. Then along came Lyft who encouraged tipping. Then Uber followed. With tipping drivers started going down little by little. All while cost of fuel, repairs, maintenance and cost of living has gone sky high. And if all that wasn't enough self employment tax on top of our losses! I'm looking for another job. Besides here in Denver it's too dangerous to drive anymore and costly mostly due to insurance etc.

KK2929

-------------------------------

One thing that bothers me along with Lyft continuing to register new drivers is this -- Lyft does not seem to be making any effort to increase their market in L.A.. If you draw a large circle around Los Angeles that represents a huge pie. Cut one slice like this - draw a line from NW Santa Monica - east to east L.A. -- then draw a line from LAX to east L.A. until the two lines intersect. That is pretty much the Lyft market. A very small piece of the Los Angeles market.
What happens when the drivers increase and the market does not ?? Disaster.
I have to drive 30 minutes just to get into an active Lyft area and this has not changed in three years.