• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Every good thing about uber has been murdered in California

PTSD

These idiots have screwed up a good thing for 1000s of people. Why I the world would you want Uber to make you am employee? Have they never worked for corporation in America - it sucks. That was the whole point, flexibility, that's why we do this. If you have to be an employee, and work a schedule, and have a boss who writes you up when you're late, then this is just another wage slave job, and not even a very good one. Why would you want that? I just don't understand, maybe someone can explain it....If you are hurting for cash, here's a secret : drive in a big city, Noone is hurting for cash where I live. But screw the money, how could you people do this, for the first time in the history of this country, regular people can work a job you don't even have to interview for and it comes with the flexibility of being your own boss, and you don't have to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to start your own business, you just drive your goddamn car. It WAS a revolution. NOW it's going to be just another shitty job. You people are horrible for doing this, ruining this for everyone. Don't any of you have a friend who could explain this to you, why this was such a good thing. I would love to hear someone justify screwing up every good thing about this for what, a minimum wage paycheck? You'll spend any settlement before the year is over, and then you'll just be a wage slave for corporate America. Oh my God, why????

tohunt4me

These idiots have screwed up a good thing for 1000s of people. Why I the world would you want Uber to make you am employee? Have they never worked for corporation in America - it sucks. That was the whole point, flexibility, that's why we do this. If you have to be an employee, and work a schedule, and have a boss who writes you up when you're late, then this is just another wage slave job, and not even a very good one. Why would you want that? I just don't understand, maybe someone can explain it....If you are hurting for cash, here's a secret : drive in a big city, Noone is hurting for cash where I live. But screw the money, how could you people do this, for the first time in the history of this country, regular people can work a job you don't even have to interview for and it comes with the flexibility of being your own boss, and you don't have to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to start your own business, you just drive your goddamn car. It WAS a revolution. NOW it's going to be just another shitty job. You people are horrible for doing this, ruining this for everyone. Don't any of you have a friend who could explain this to you, why this was such a good thing. I would love to hear someone justify screwing up every good thing about this for what, a minimum wage paycheck? You'll spend any settlement before the year is over, and then you'll just be a wage slave for corporate America. Oh my God, why????
You put UBER & GOOD in the same sentence.

tohunt4me

" NEW MEMBER"
from " SAN FRANCISCO".

MORE LAYOFFS NEEDED AT CORPORATE !

1.5xorbust

Who is Noone?

2kwik4u

Dude the only idiots here were uber and lyft... they kept cutting rate until people can no longer live... yea I agree uber was not suppose to be full time but uber was dandy having full timer drivers for peanuts. Uber and lyft are at fault
Then why didn't people move along to a different gig? Was it really that bad? Clearly the motivation to find an additional (or alternative primary) source of income wasn't to great.

I think AB5 will have further reaching consequences than just Uber/Lyft, which is the greater concern IMO......and i live in the midwest where the impact is fairly low aside from setting a precedent.

The_Solo

First and foremost anytime the government steps in it will surely get messy and to that I agree this is horrible. But what is truly horrible is the government needed to step in. The government needed to step in because we the drivers were not independent contractors. We were drivers doing what Uber has told us to. We do not set our own rates, we are set to the rates that they decide for us today. And if tomorrow they decide to increase the customers price and lower our rate there is and was nothing we could do. Being employees is NOT the best idea for a solution to this fiasco but if the government did not reach in and stop this mess in another 6 months there would be another 2 or 3 pay cuts and everyone would be further from a solution.

Plain and simple is we are not self employed we just have flexibility to when we work. That does not make this “your own business”. If this was “your own business” you would have a say in how things are run. What do you have a say in? The hours you work and the rating of a passanger you will drive.
What don’t you have a say in? Where you will drive a passenger, length of ride you will drive, rate, pick up fee, pay per minute, surge prices. Heck you can’t even control who makes a complaint on you in the fact of a customer complains you won’t even be told who it was. This is not “your own business” this is you driving a car that Uber tells you who. That’s it.

PTSD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First and foremost anytime the government steps in it will surely get messy and to that I agree this is horrible. But what is truly horrible is the government needed to step in. The government needed to step in because we the drivers were not independent contractors. We were drivers doing what Uber has told us to. We do not set our own rates, we are set to the rates that they decide for us today. And if tomorrow they decide to increase the customers price and lower our rate there is and was nothing we could do. Being employees is NOT the best idea for a solution to this fiasco but if the government did not reach in and stop this mess in another 6 months there would be another 2 or 3 pay cuts and everyone would be further from a solution.

Plain and simple is we are not self employed we just have flexibility to when we work. That does not make this “your own business”. If this was “your own business” you would have a say in how things are run. What do you have a say in? The hours you work and the rating of a passanger you will drive.
What don’t you have a say in? Where you will drive a passenger, length of ride you will drive, rate, pick up fee, pay per minute, surge prices. Heck you can’t even control who makes a complaint on you in the fact of a customer complains you won’t even be told who it was. This is not “your own business” this is you driving a car that Uber tells you who. That’s it.
Really, can you not hit the cancel button if you don't want to pick someone up? Can you not go to work and come home any time you feel like it? Do you have a boss? I don't know, your arguements is pretty week compared to all those other reasons it is like working for yourself. Have you never had a job working for corporation, do you not understand what it's like to work for someone else, because I have had between 20 and 30 jobs in my lifetime, and not a damn one of them didn't have a schedule or a boss, and you had to go on an interview and get hired. I don't remember any of those things happening working for Uber. If you wanted to make a good argument you should have said that you don't get profits, but guess what, you aren't going to see a dime of ubere profits working as a wage slave for them either, and you lose all that other stuff too
Post automatically merged:

Dude the only idiots here were uber and lyft... they kept cutting rate until people can no longer live... yea I agree uber was not suppose to be full time but uber was dandy having full timer drivers for peanuts. Uber and lyft are at fault
I don't make peanuts because I'm smart enough to work in a big city. And it doesn't matter what's going on on Ubers end, what matters is what we had and lost because some fools were so shortsighted they can't see that there's nothing in the bill saying how much drivers will now get paid. Welcome to "a couple dollars above minimum wage with no over time", but I don't think you're going to like it, and I know I'm not, and so yes, you "idiots" screwed me out of my way of life, and hundreds of thousands of other people out of theirs to be a corporate slave... What else should I call someone who does something that stupid?

Last edited:

The_Solo

Really, can you not hit the cancel button if you don't want to pick someone up? Can you not go to work and come home any time you feel like it? Do you have a boss? I don't know, your arguements is pretty week compared to all those other reasons it is like working for yourself. Have you never had a job working for corporation, do you not understand what it's like to work for someone else, because I have had between 20 and 30 jobs in my lifetime, and not a damn one of them didn't have a schedule or a boss, and you had to go on an interview and get hired. I don't remember any of those things happening working for Uber. If you wanted to make a good argument you should have said that you don't get profits, but guess what, you aren't going to see a dime of ubere profits working as a wage slave for them either, and you lose all that other stuff too
I was a supervisor for UPS. Corporation enough for you.
You mention you can cancel and if you cancel too much they deactivate you. You can not accept rides but cancelling comes with deactivation. So you can use it some but at the point you can cancel you’ve already drove to location and wasted gas/time. I shouldn’t have to waste that much money to learn I don’t want a ride if this is “my own business”
Schedule flexibility I agree is wonderful but again nothing in the ab5 bill says they can’t have flexibility, Uber simply is signifying that it’s relevant because it’s the only leg they have to stand on. I agree coming and going as I choose is something I love but it’s only thing that makes it “my own business”
Do I have a boss. Sure technically we do except we just don’t respond or answer to this said boss. The boss is an app. If you decline to many rides your “boss” logs you out. If you cancel too much your “boss” emails you. Your “boss” is close to like being a worker who works remotely.

Uber and lyft control your day by giving piddly bonuses to try and get you work premium times. Making money = to my time is much more important than just being able to come and go as needed. Being in a location where minimum wage is $15 an hour but they pay less after expenses is a major problem. It’s why I moved over to doing amazon flex and this will be much more affected then Uber and lyft to me.

njn

the state wants more tax revenue, they care little about their citizens. they want want the pax rate to rise 20 to 30%. pax will be happy to pay.

PTSD

I was a supervisor for UPS. Corporation enough for you.
You mention you can cancel and if you cancel too much they deactivate you. You can not accept rides but cancelling comes with deactivation. So you can use it some but at the point you can cancel you’ve already drove to location and wasted gas/time. I shouldn’t have to waste that much money to learn I don’t want a ride if this is “my own business”
Schedule flexibility I agree is wonderful but again nothing in the ab5 bill says they can’t have flexibility, Uber simply is signifying that it’s relevant because it’s the only leg they have to stand on. I agree coming and going as I choose is something I love but it’s only thing that makes it “my own business”
Do I have a boss. Sure technically we do except we just don’t respond or answer to this said boss. The boss is an app. If you decline to many rides your “boss” logs you out. If you cancel too much your “boss” emails you. Your “boss” is close to like being a worker who works remotely.

Uber and lyft control your day by giving piddly bonuses to try and get you work premium times. Making money = to my time is much more important than just being able to come and go as needed. Being in a location where minimum wage is $15 an hour but they pay less after expenses is a major problem. It’s why I moved over to doing amazon flex and this will be much more affected then Uber and lyft to me.
I work for Uber eats , and we can cancel as many rides as we want, nothing happens. I make no less than 150 bucks a day working in San Francisco. 150 bucks a day to ride a bike around the city. I spend 5 dollars per week on gas for my bike. I used to work in the financial district for a commercial real estate company, I got laid off and now I do this full time. I go to work when I want, and I go home when I want. I have been working full time since I was 15 years old, I am now 40, and never in my life have I had this kind of freedom, after more than 25 different jobs in 4 different careers. If you don't see the difference in this and working for an hourly wage, I don't know what to tell you, other than don't screw this up for the rest of us.

PTSD

the state wants more tax revenue, they care little about their citizens. they want want the pax rate to rise 20 to 30%. pax will be happy to pay.
I just want to watch Uber/Lyft suffer.

Uber/Lyft have proven that they cannot be trusted to self-regulate or to ever do the right thing. They brought AB5 upon themselves.
It's you who are bringing this upon yourself, have you ever heard someone say "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? Uber isn't gonna suffer a damn bit, but you will when they limit your hours and put you on a schedule. How do you not see that, what am I missing. Not one person here has stated how their lives will improve as a result of this, and that's because it won't, this can only make things worse. The pay 2ill be smaller and you will be a corporate wage slave like everyone else in America who works for a corporation, but the difference is, you had it a better way then demanded to be a wage slave again. What are you telling yourself to justify that, "I want to watch uber suffer"? Is that really all you've got, thats the most shortsighted, rediculous arguements I've ever heard. How are things going to improve for YOU? That's all you need to worry about, to hell with what Uber gets, that's not doing a damn thing for you, how do you justify this to all the people you are screwing over so you can supposedly watch Uber suffer?

O-Side Uber

The only flexibility I currently have is that I’m available to work the two peak times of the day ..early morning and late afternoon... so it’s already a schedule that I happened to be available for. If I worked any other times of the day it would be for below minimum wage and I no longer do nights due to my temper .

nouberipo

Everything good thing about Uber has been "murdered in California" . Maybe you are smoking a bit too much mate as there isn't one good characteristic of Uber. While in this current environment where money is seen as above character and principles, I can see how your worldview is quite skewed. I actually feel sorry for you if you are not an Uber shrill.

PTSD

Who is Noone?
Ooh a typo. People correct typos when they can't think of anything else to say. I've laid out a case for why this is so stupid, why you are screwing yourselves and the rest of us, there is plenty there to refute, but rather than defend yourself you correct a typo?

The_Solo

It's you who are bringing this upon yourself, have you ever heard someone say "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? Uber isn't gonna suffer a damn bit, but you will when they limit your hours and put you on a schedule. How do you not see that, what am I missing. Not one person here has stated how their lives will improve as a result of this, and that's because it won't, this can only make things worse. The pay 2ill be smaller and you will be a corporate wage slave like everyone else in America who works for a corporation, but the difference is, you had it a better way then demanded to be a wage slave again. What are you telling yourself to justify that, "I want to watch uber suffer"? Is that really all you've got, thats the most shortsighted, rediculous arguements I've ever heard. How are things going to improve for YOU? That's all you need to worry about, to hell with what Uber gets, that's not doing a damn thing for you, how do you justify this to all the people you are screwing over so you can supposedly watch Uber suffer?
I fully understand your problem now. You are thinking of yourself and not the whole. There are millions of drivers being screwed by the gig economy system and you only care how this will affect you. In the end this may be bad for me doing amazon but I believe as a whole this will be better for the majority and yes there will be plenty of people like you who will be getting the short end. So sorry for you. The endless race to the bottom has gone to far for to long that the government has needed to step in. Heck the simple fact that Uber has “offered” to give certain things to prevent this while not actually doing it shows it’s all empty promises.
Yes it’s sucks the government stepped in but it did because otherwise the pay would continue going way beyond reasonable