Ever wonder how your UberX or Lyft fare compares to a Taxi fare?

Ever wonder how your UberX or Lyft fare compares to a Taxi fare?

• yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Tom Harding

I was curious how a fare far from Midway might be if the rider took a taxi.
The trip was from Midway to Minooka, Illinois, just west of Joliet.
Mileage was 45.66 and time was 59.12 minutes.
The rider paid a total of $68.90 to Uber
If a Taxi had been taken, the trip would have cost:
$3.25 base fare
$4.00 airport fee
$102.74 Mileage ($2.25 per mile)
$51.36 for going past city lines (50% surcharge)
$25.25 time charge ($.427 per minute)
$186.59 total fare for a taxi.

LyftRus

Im curious to see how much of that $186 the driver would get and past city limits? How does a passenger agree to this kind of rape and something like that doesn't get brought up on the news?

50% surcharge because you went away from the city WOOPTY DOO

Pchi

I know because I drove in the burbs for a few and I try not to think about it.

Tom Harding

Its a joke i understand uber has to be cheaper but this cheaper
Its a joke i understand uber has to be cheaper but this cheaper

The Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Department of the City of Chicago determines all taxicab rates. For more information, please visit them at their web site: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bacp/supp_info/2012_passenger_information.html.
RATES TABLE:
*$3.25 for the first 1/9th mile or less (Base Fare)
$0.25 for each additional 1/9th of a mile OR $2.00 to $2.25 per mile
$0.25 per 36 seconds in cab OR $.427 per minute
+$1.00 for first additional passenger between ages 12-65
No fee for persons under the age of 12 or over the age of 65
+$0.50 for each additional passenger
No Charge for baggage
Tipping is Optional
NOTE:
Trips from the airports to all suburbs EXCEPT those noted below are STRAIGHT METER PLUS ONE-HALF THE STRAIGHT METERED FARE from the airport to the suburban destination.
Trips from locations in Chicago other than the airports are STRAIGHT METER TO CITY LIMITS PLUS ONE-HALF THE STRAIGHT METERED FARE from the city limits to the suburban destination.
The following suburban destinations are straight meter only, from the airports: Alsip, Bedford Park, Blue Island, Burbank, Burnham, Calumet City, Calumet Park, Cicero, Des Plaines, Dolton, Elk Grove Village, Elmwood Park, Evanston, Evergreen Park, Forest View, Harwood Heights, Hines VA Hospital, Hometown, Lincolnwood, Merrionette Park, Niles, Norridge, Oak Lawn, Oak Park, Park Ridge, Riverdale, River Grove, Rosemont, Skokie, Stickney, and Summit.
Uber`s UberX Chicago Rates (standard non-surge )*
$3.30 Base Fare– includes $1.60 booking fee
$3.80 Minimum Fare: base fare, booking fee, and City Of Chicago $.50 tax
$.20 per minute
$.95 per mile, rounded to 1/10 mile
$5.00 cancellation fee
$6.50 City of Chicago Airport, McCormick Place, and Navy Pier fees – Pickup or Drop Off
There are no surcharges for traveling outside of city limits or any destination. There is No baggage fee
There are no additional charges for up to four passengers. 5 or 6 passengers require an UberXL request
Tipping is optional
*Rates subject to change - As of 07/01/2017

Attachments

• MINOOKA-TRIP.jpg
    MINOOKA-TRIP.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 49

Syed raza

The Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Department of the City of Chicago determines all taxicab rates. For more information, please visit them at their web site: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bacp/supp_info/2012_passenger_information.html.
RATES TABLE:
*$3.25 for the first 1/9th mile or less (Base Fare)
$0.25 for each additional 1/9th of a mile OR $2.00 to $2.25 per mile
$0.25 per 36 seconds in cab OR $.427 per minute
+$1.00 for first additional passenger between ages 12-65
No fee for persons under the age of 12 or over the age of 65
+$0.50 for each additional passenger
No Charge for baggage
Tipping is Optional
NOTE:
Trips from the airports to all suburbs EXCEPT those noted below are STRAIGHT METER PLUS ONE-HALF THE STRAIGHT METERED FARE from the airport to the suburban destination.
Trips from locations in Chicago other than the airports are STRAIGHT METER TO CITY LIMITS PLUS ONE-HALF THE STRAIGHT METERED FARE from the city limits to the suburban destination.
The following suburban destinations are straight meter only, from the airports: Alsip, Bedford Park, Blue Island, Burbank, Burnham, Calumet City, Calumet Park, Cicero, Des Plaines, Dolton, Elk Grove Village, Elmwood Park, Evanston, Evergreen Park, Forest View, Harwood Heights, Hines VA Hospital, Hometown, Lincolnwood, Merrionette Park, Niles, Norridge, Oak Lawn, Oak Park, Park Ridge, Riverdale, River Grove, Rosemont, Skokie, Stickney, and Summit.
Uber`s UberX Chicago Rates (standard non-surge )*
$3.30 Base Fare– includes $1.60 booking fee
$3.80 Minimum Fare: base fare, booking fee, and City Of Chicago $.50 tax
$.20 per minute
$.95 per mile, rounded to 1/10 mile
$5.00 cancellation fee
$6.50 City of Chicago Airport, McCormick Place, and Navy Pier fees – Pickup or Drop Off
There are no surcharges for traveling outside of city limits or any destination. There is No baggage fee
There are no additional charges for up to four passengers. 5 or 6 passengers require an UberXL request
Tipping is optional
*Rates subject to change - As of 07/01/2017
That's pretty cheap

quesie

Im curious to see how much of that $186 the driver would get and past city limits? How does a passenger agree to this kind of rape and something like that doesn't get brought up on the news?

50% surcharge because you went away from the city WOOPTY DOO
The driver gets all that money. They usually lease their cabs from the company. Their leases are very expensive though. They need about 10 of those rides a week to pay lease.

DaCoach

$3.25 base fare
$4.00 airport fee
So what's ur point? What a wonderful business man u r? Keep working for free!!

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Tom Harding got everyone all fired up for no reason. While you're facts are 100% accurate, it doesn't happen this way in the real world.

The reason is, the passenger ques at the airport are directed by a gtc. If your destination is City, you get a Chi/Bacp cab. If suburban, you get a suburban taxi and they're all flat rate to the airports. 303, which is very popular in SW suburbs is, wait for it, waaait foooor it...$68 to Minooka.

No one in their right mind, well possibly Shea F. Kenny, is taking a City Cab to Minooka. It's, always been this way guys. Nothing to see here folks. Now everybody take a deep breath and go back to your regular scheduled programming.
http://www.303taxi.com/rates.aspx

Pardalian

taxis charge time or distance, not time and distance. Time charge kicks in every time the taxi is moving under 5 mph. so in your case the fare would be $161.34.
How much do they pay for cab rental a day though?
Lease rates vary from $250 ($36/day) to $300 ($43/day) per week per 12 hr shift (day shift or night shift, most of the time from 5 to 5) and you have to pay for the gas you consume during your shift. You can also lease 24hr shifts at around $400 to $450 per week. All maintenance and repairs + insurance and car payment are paid by the owner of the medallion.

The driver gets all that money. They usually lease their cabs from the company. Their leases are very expensive though. They need about 10 of those rides a week to pay lease.
not true...read above....and I know I drive a cab

If birth control is $1/day, but City of Chicago laws make your hooker buy birth control that costs $250/day ..... whose fault is that? With city medallions, EVERYBODY is subject to human trafficking.
I agree the medallions should not have a price, but I don't agree that there should not be a cap on their number. Look how well rideshare drivers are doing when they are driving around with no pings for 40-50 minutes because the market is so over saturated with drivers.

Mad Medic

$3.25 base fare
$4.00 airport fee
Do a number comparison side by side.Yeap we need that base up th $3

Tom Harding

I included the fare detail for that trip.
But here is a list of charges for comparison:
Mileage rate in Chicago: UberX - $.95, $.20 a minute or if you combine time and miles, about $1.25. Taxi - $2.25
Wait time or "slow speed time" - $.20, taxi - $.427
Past city limits surcharge - Uber 0%, taxi 50% from airport or 50% from city limit, depending on pickup point, except certain towns
Uber Add pax- $0. - taxi $1.00 first, $.50 additional
Base fare with Book Uber - $3.80, Taxi - $3.25
This is a time and mile trip, not up front pricing or Uber Pool.
Driver payout is 75% or 80%, Taxi is somewhere around 40% to 55%, unless hourly paid

lmwzwwj

In Chicago don't they all go through the FBI background check like City Hall says they do? Alderman Beale says they do.
Fbi fingerprinting checks criminal conviction, arrest record.
Immigration background check from USCIS shows up immigration status
Application for chauffeur license in chicago just needs ssn.
There are lot of loopholes in chicago and we know why