• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ever Felt Like You're Trapped in Your Specific Life Situation?

Hello friends! Just letting out some life disappointments, especially since it's totally anonymous here and nobody really knows me. Have you ever felt like you were trapped in your specific life situation? For example, you keep working for long hours, but in the end, everything you've earned just goes to things that are just meant to allow you to keep working the next day? It's like you're trapped in a cycle of work, eat, sleep, work, and there's no end in sight because you have to fight for each little bit of progress you make, but it only takes one bad thing (like a car problem that needs to be fixed) to set you back and negate all of your progress so far?

Honestly, that's how I feel these days. When I first started Uber driving last year due to an emergency in the family where somebody lost their job and we needed extra money, and my original small business was not gonna cover it (used to import stuff, sell them for a profit, but international shipping prices increased and sales weren't always guaranteed), I thought this would help a lot. The rate given to me here last year in LA/OC was 80 cents per mile. I honestly did it hardcore, started 5 am, ended around 6pm. I just can't do night time driving because at night, I see traffic lights as something that look like giant laser beams. I think you know what I mean. So it's really hard to drive at night even if I know that's usually where the money is. The money I made was somewhat acceptable during those days. It was usually around $120 to $130 every day, definitely lower than what others earn but it was enough to help pay the bills and important things. I think that's pretty ok after gas costs, considering I'm only limited to day time driving.

Through the months of driving, I developed all sorts of physical pain that I never experienced before. Shoulder pain, upper and lower back pain, side pain, and worst of all, spine pain. There was a time between September 2018 and around April 2019 when just even a slight movement would cause me to stop on my tracks, unable to walk. Sometimes I couldn't even get out of my bed. It got so bad that I was forced to take continuous rest for weeks until I was able to "fix" my spine somehow (I just forced it to be straight). Can't really go to a doctor, too expensive. It was honestly a period when I somewhat felt scared because never in my life have I imagined that I'd get into a situation where I can't even walk.

I really want to get out of Uber driving especially now that I'm currently driving for 60 cents per mile, but I think I've messed up so much in my life already, starting 15 years ago when, against better judgment, I had to take whatever job I could during another family emergency instead of waiting for a job offer in my actual chosen field (computer industry). I knew it was a bad decision, but it's actually my entire family that needed the money since some evil bastard did something bad which made us lose our family business. I don't know what happened, but I always kept falling back to those temporary employment agencies for short projects which lasted 3 to 6 months only, and they were usually office jobs where I just had to type things endlessly. There weren't always job offers with those agencies, and that's one reason I'm still Uber driving.

I'm getting old, actually turning 37 this year. I don't think I'm attractive enough to hire at the current situation. Companies would look at my resume and ask "Where have you been all this time? What happened to you?" What am I gonna tell them? "Somehow, I kept ending up with temporary agencies until I became an Uber driver!"? It already looks bad. But honestly, all I did was adapt to the things that I couldn't have avoided in life. Sometimes, emergencies happen. Sometimes, emergencies come one after another and you just have to roll with the punches.

I do feel shame about my status in life. Sometimes I look on social media to see how my old friends from elementary, highschool, and university days are doing. They're pretty much like normal people. They have stable jobs. They're happy. They even have their own families now. I even saw that my first love already got married. She was a really great person and lover to me back then. Even at the time when my family's business got taken over by someone we trusted and our lifestyle had a massive downfall, my first love still stayed with me. I told her that I would have to leave in order to help the family and she won't really have a future with me anymore, but she told me she'd love me until I had to go. She was really true to her word up to the end, so I'm very happy that right now, she has a very happy life in a loving marriage. Sometimes, I still wonder what could've been if only things didn't go bad back then.

I miss my old friends but I'm too ashamed to reconnect with them, especially since they had extremely high hopes for me back in the day. I only have three friends right now I am in contact with, and that's because they found me somehow. I have a friend from highschool whom I consider as my "little sister". We still talk from time to time, but she's also having trouble with her own life unfortunately. A former love interest also found me, and then someone who had a crush on me back in our university days. They know my situation and I've asked them to just keep it between us. I'd rather be forgotten than be questioned about all the details which led to my situation. It's just too shameful. There are many times when I wish I'd just have the life of a normal person.

All I ever wanted was a normal life just like everyone. Have a stable job, have some friends, have the love of my life with me, maybe have a kid or two. It would be cool to be rich, but it's not really a requirement to be happy. Even a simple life, as long as the worries are very minimal, is already enough to make me more than happy.

Right now, I just want to have enough money to do the things I love, maybe buy a new piano to play and a 3D printer, and take a break from time to time. I don't really care about finding love or dating anymore, since I won't even be able to support a wife and a kid if someone made the mistake of loving me. Living is expensive. Medicine, education, things to make them happy and protect them, I can't afford all of those.

I try not to care so much about different things anymore. I learned that the more you care, the more you get hurt.

AB5 just became law here in California, I don't really know how that's going to affect me personally when it comes to Uber driving. Is it going to improve my life, or is it just going to be the same where I'm trapped in a cycle of earning money for the sake of being able to work for another day? I'm hoping that it would indeed, be something that brings some happiness to this life, in the form of allowing me to afford things to enjoy.

A long time ago when I was a child, I remember my mom telling me to be happy because that's the point of life. I agree, life should be enjoyed, you should find happiness somehow. But what if happiness is something that's very rare to your life?

Anyway that's all I have to share for now. Just had to let out some thoughts, probably because I'm bored or maybe just needed an outlet lol.

Comments

Galveston

Hello friends! Just letting out some life disappointments, especially since it's totally anonymous here and nobody really knows me. Have you ever felt like you were trapped in your specific life situation? For example, you keep working for long hours, but in the end, everything you've earned just goes to things that are just meant to allow you to keep working the next day? It's like you're trapped in a cycle of work, eat, sleep, work, and there's no end in sight because you have to fight for each little bit of progress you make, but it only takes one bad thing (like a car problem that needs to be fixed) to set you back and negate all of your progress so far?

Honestly, that's how I feel these days. When I first started Uber driving last year due to an emergency in the family where somebody lost their job and we needed extra money, and my original small business was not gonna cover it (used to import stuff, sell them for a profit, but international shipping prices increased and sales weren't always guaranteed), I thought this would help a lot. The rate given to me here last year in LA/OC was 80 cents per mile. I honestly did it hardcore, started 5 am, ended around 6pm. I just can't do night time driving because at night, I see traffic lights as something that look like giant laser beams. I think you know what I mean. So it's really hard to drive at night even if I know that's usually where the money is. The money I made was somewhat acceptable during those days. It was usually around $120 to $130 every day, definitely lower than what others earn but it was enough to help pay the bills and important things. I think that's pretty ok after gas costs, considering I'm only limited to day time driving.

Through the months of driving, I developed all sorts of physical pain that I never experienced before. Shoulder pain, upper and lower back pain, side pain, and worst of all, spine pain. There was a time between September 2018 and around April 2019 when just even a slight movement would cause me to stop on my tracks, unable to walk. Sometimes I couldn't even get out of my bed. It got so bad that I was forced to take continuous rest for weeks until I was able to "fix" my spine somehow (I just forced it to be straight). Can't really go to a doctor, too expensive. It was honestly a period when I somewhat felt scared because never in my life have I imagined that I'd get into a situation where I can't even walk.

I really want to get out of Uber driving especially now that I'm currently driving for 60 cents per mile, but I think I've messed up so much in my life already, starting 15 years ago when, against better judgment, I had to take whatever job I could during another family emergency instead of waiting for a job offer in my actual chosen field (computer industry). I knew it was a bad decision, but it's actually my entire family that needed the money since some evil bastard did something bad which made us lose our family business. I don't know what happened, but I always kept falling back to those temporary employment agencies for short projects which lasted 3 to 6 months only, and they were usually office jobs where I just had to type things endlessly. There weren't always job offers with those agencies, and that's one reason I'm still Uber driving.

I'm getting old, actually turning 37 this year. I don't think I'm attractive enough to hire at the current situation. Companies would look at my resume and ask "Where have you been all this time? What happened to you?" What am I gonna tell them? "Somehow, I kept ending up with temporary agencies until I became an Uber driver!"? It already looks bad. But honestly, all I did was adapt to the things that I couldn't have avoided in life. Sometimes, emergencies happen. Sometimes, emergencies come one after another and you just have to roll with the punches.

I do feel shame about my status in life. Sometimes I look on social media to see how my old friends from elementary, highschool, and university days are doing. They're pretty much like normal people. They have stable jobs. They're happy. They even have their own families now. I even saw that my first love already got married. She was a really great person and lover to me back then. Even at the time when my family's business got taken over by someone we trusted and our lifestyle had a massive downfall, my first love still stayed with me. I told her that I would have to leave in order to help the family and she won't really have a future with me anymore, but she told me she'd love me until I had to go. She was really true to her word up to the end, so I'm very happy that right now, she has a very happy life in a loving marriage. Sometimes, I still wonder what could've been if only things didn't go bad back then.

I miss my old friends but I'm too ashamed to reconnect with them, especially since they had extremely high hopes for me back in the day. I only have three friends right now I am in contact with, and that's because they found me somehow. I have a friend from highschool whom I consider as my "little sister". We still talk from time to time, but she's also having trouble with her own life unfortunately. A former love interest also found me, and then someone who had a crush on me back in our university days. They know my situation and I've asked them to just keep it between us. I'd rather be forgotten than be questioned about all the details which led to my situation. It's just too shameful. There are many times when I wish I'd just have the life of a normal person.

All I ever wanted was a normal life just like everyone. Have a stable job, have some friends, have the love of my life with me, maybe have a kid or two. It would be cool to be rich, but it's not really a requirement to be happy. Even a simple life, as long as the worries are very minimal, is already enough to make me more than happy.

Right now, I just want to have enough money to do the things I love, maybe buy a new piano to play and a 3D printer, and take a break from time to time. I don't really care about finding love or dating anymore, since I won't even be able to support a wife and a kid if someone made the mistake of loving me. Living is expensive. Medicine, education, things to make them happy and protect them, I can't afford all of those.

I try not to care so much about different things anymore. I learned that the more you care, the more you get hurt.

AB5 just became law here in California, I don't really know how that's going to affect me personally when it comes to Uber driving. Is it going to improve my life, or is it just going to be the same where I'm trapped in a cycle of earning money for the sake of being able to work for another day? I'm hoping that it would indeed, be something that brings some happiness to this life, in the form of allowing me to afford things to enjoy.

A long time ago when I was a child, I remember my mom telling me to be happy because that's the point of life. I agree, life should be enjoyed, you should find happiness somehow. But what if happiness is something that's very rare to your life?

Anyway that's all I have to share for now. Just had to let out some thoughts, probably because I'm bored or maybe just needed an outlet lol.
Generations are stuck in this trap and I hope things change politically.

sellkatsell44

For example, you keep working for long hours, but in the end, everything you've earned just goes to things that are just meant to allow you to keep working the next day? It's like you're trapped in a cycle of work, eat, sleep, work, and there's no end in sight because you have to fight for each little bit of progress you make, but it only takes one bad thing (like a car problem that needs to be fixed) to set you back and negate all of your progress so far?
absolutely.

tldr, medical bills caused me to drop out of college to save expenses, and just make$$. Made decent money but took a pay cut to change industry... worked my way back up, and then took another pay cut and worked my way up again.

still paycheck to paycheck because I decided to go back to school full time.

Basically, sometimes you have to step back and readjust, to get ahead.

so even if you have to go back to doing something entry level, in the retail space, do it. As long as there is room for advancement.

Last edited:

Uber's Guber

Whoa, easy son!!!...........
You damn near sucked all the bandwidth outta this forum! :wideyed:

IGotDrive

I haven't been on the forum in a while and was saddened to read about your CURRENT situation. This does not have to be permanent. I've been in similar situation and felt there was no way out, but I found a way and looking back I'm glad I didn't give up. Please don't get stuck in depression; like someone else here said, make a plan. Someone else said, take an entry-level position if need be and work hard to work your way up. Take free or cheap classes and get certified or licensed in something lucrative - even if you have to do a little at a time, you'll be done eventually if you stick to it. Just be strong. And don't be ashamed to get low-priced health insurance through your state until you can get better (which is also based on your expenses in addition to your income) - this is what your tax dollars pay for. I wish you all the best, and keep your head up.

Disgusted Driver

37 is no where near too old. I suggest you make up a story about self employment/business/importing things but it got slow with the China tariffs, etc... kind of excuse to explain your employment gap and find anything steady that you can get to get back on your feet. It's a challenge sometimes but it just takes one good break to get back on the path to success.

Invisible

I’ve also felt trapped since the Great Recession. There are many people who never fully recovered from it. Yet, many don’t discuss it. So you’re definitely not the only person feeling like you aren’t doing as well as you should be.

I had to dump social media because it just made me feel worse. Things like FB are not real. Normally those who post how fantastic their lives are, are the most unhappiest ones.

If you want to reconnect with your old friends, the true friends won’t care what you do or if you don’t have as much money as them. I learned 10 years ago who are my true friends.

Tell prospective employers the truth, you were dealing with family obligations, while you are working Uber and your contract computer jobs. Then add those obligations are resolved.

There are training programs available to those who meet income qualifications, such as WIOA. Go to your local Workforce Center and see what is available in your area. Also, check out the link below.

Your age is a great age where you still have time to reinvent yourself. Keep trying and hang in there!

TwoFiddyMile

At the turn of the century, I ran departments inside call centers. Then they offshored those. Then I bought part of a cab. Then I built a cab company. Then Uber came along and destroyed the company, so I saw the cab company. Then I was down to a single owner operator of 1 cap. Now I drive Uber and Lyft in a former cab. I always land on my feet. I just keep going.

Wolfgang Faust

The only problem is you think you are stuck.
Change your mind.
it's ok, you can change it anytime you want. It is yours. Start there...with an idea. An idea is what starts everything.

Read this...

June132017

I was having a long conversation with an older man. He couldn't believe I paid $170 for 2 tires. He said they used to be $25 each installed. So who really has money? He said the U.S dollar is being devalued, hidden by inflation. He's 100% right. He knows the scams going on. Don't worry all you're friends will be broke as hell in their later years. They think they have alot of money now, but things change. Keep plugging away and you'll end up in a very similar spot as most of them.

Seamus

I was having a long conversation with an older man. He couldn't believe I paid $170 for 2 tires. He said they used to be $25 each installed.
Yeah back in the 60's. LOL, not relevant at all to today.

OLD MAN: Son in my day you could go to the store with $2 and come home with a pack of cigarettes, a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a magazine and a loaf of bread.
YOUNG MAN: Wow, you could never do that now!
OLD MAN: Tell me about it, those dam security cameras are everywhere now!

June132017

Yeah back in the 60's. LOL, not relevant at all to today.
Sure, it's relevant if you have $50,000 sitting around. When you have a pension it's very relevant. When you have a 401K it's going to be relevant. Basically you're not going to be able to buy much with it.

Seamus

Sure, it's relevant if you have $50,000 sitting around. When you have a pension it's very relevant. When you have a 401K it's going to be relevant. Basically you're not going to be able to buy much with it.
Price of a tire???

KK2929

Tough situation. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. On your resume, show dates that look like you are still open but certain conditions have slowed your income and you started driving RS for extra income. Important, when in a job interview, do not volunteer too much information. Answer questions but do not talk about personal information. You sound so depressed. Sounds like you are carrying the weight of your families financial trouble. Ask other members of the family to " step up " and help , too.
As for the health issues -- I bought an inversion table ( hang by your ankles ). The difference it made in my back pains was amazing. I use it for 5 -10 minutes once a week. Don't get a cheap one - I bought from the guy on T.V. They are well made and not expensive AND they have an installment payment plan.
Your problem with the eyes sounds like you have Cataracts. Treatable with surgery but again, it takes money.
I hope things get better for you.

Last edited:

Jay Dean

If you are not happy in your situation you can find the path to what you want. That is the great thing about America, in general. As my English professor said and I found hilarious.. if you are a doctor and all of the sudden want to be a hippie living under a bridge, you can. If you want to do a 180, you can at any time. You really can, it might not be as direct in terms of what you see, but if you truly want to change, you can. There are resources..there are avenues, it is about passion and sacrifice of comfort zone to change. I know in my own personal experiences in life, there has not been one thing that I was not "able" to try and pursue..I may of sucked at it, but I had a "chance" to do so.

So, in that...if you have exhausted "trying" ideas, which no effin way at your age you have, you are looking at the wrong approach to exploring new ideas and paths.

I guarantee if you went to speak with a career counselor at a community college at your age about careers out there, you would stop the boo-hoo bs and start working on just that, a new path.

Sorry am blunt, be glad you can be in a place where each day you can start over and say I am doing this now! And do it.

sellkatsell44

I didn’t know where to put this, but I wanted to share because I think too often people don’t realize that it’s 1) mental and 2) peers that bring you down.

I was just at dinner with a girlfriend yesterday, and after listening to her tales I decided to break one of my “code”/“rule” of not snitching... technically I didn’t promise not to tell.

the bkgd is, she immigrated here at a young age but not young enough to lose her accent. Her native language > English but her English is still excellent. She’s graduated from a four year university (unlike me) and she also studied really hard—for the series 7, 66... she scored high (not just passing but in the mid to high eighties, which is rare).

so competent and able but because she grew up in another country—her accent is somewhat heavy (not super, I’ve seen worse)—she doesn’t have the same confidence to deal with Americans because of a few bad eggs she’s encountered.

in finance/banking—or any type of customer service really, once the non English native speakers know you speak the same language, they’ll flock to you like bees on honey. They won’t go anywhere else, they’ll wait for you... and half of the time they may have decent accounts to make it worthwhile, but because English isn’t their first language, it’ll always be more work and culturally... this is not always the best as you get pigeon holed by your colleagues that your niche should be the clients that speak your native language.

when it came time for her promotion, she was passed because the position available would be supporting someone whose practice is predominately English (her English is just fine) and another colleague who was there less then her, got it, the idea was to save her for another practice that is predominately with her native language.

I told her of an opportunity in my office and she applied. The person loved her, the managers loved her... but her manager blocked her due to the fact that the manager didn’t want to lose her.

so, she didn’t know, but actually she was going to get hired. Instead, her manager told her I don’t know if you’re able to handle that type of clientele.

I finally told her it was her manager that blocked her because I’m tired of hearing her doubt herself.

sad thing is the manager and her are from the same native language. The one they would hire her, and the manager that would hire her, are Caucasians who have MBA, CFP, etc credentials and they saw nothing wrong with her accent or ability to speak English .

tohunt4me

Shake it up.
Make changes.
Or " Settle"
You only live once.
Post automatically merged:

I was having a long conversation with an older man. He couldn't believe I paid $170 for 2 tires. He said they used to be $25 each installed. So who really has money? He said the U.S dollar is being devalued, hidden by inflation. He's 100% right. He knows the scams going on. Don't worry all you're friends will be broke as hell in their later years. They think they have alot of money now, but things change. Keep plugging away and you'll end up in a very similar spot as most of them.
Yes it is true.

The More they print.

The Lesser its value.

This is why " Minimum Wage" increses do nothing.
By Design.

Attachments

Last edited: