Erroneous Pin Locations & Addresses!

TriadUberGoober

What is it with Uber? I regularly am sent pick up locations where the pin is nowhere near the correct location. It might be several blocks or more away. Two nights ago I was sent to a street address that was wrong and it took about six minutes to get to the actual location, which was very close to my location when I received the call. Last night I had a pin location that looked like it was on the side of a major highway, when it was really only 1-2 minutes from my location when the call came in. This is intolerable! I feel like I need to call every passenger at the time the call comes in to ask for a physical location. There are many times when it is spot on, but I assume that is because the passenger entered the location manually. Any clue or tips on this problem?

Thatendedbadly

What is it with Uber? I regularly am sent pick up locations where the pin is nowhere near the correct location. It might be several blocks or more away. Two nights ago I was sent to a street address that was wrong and it took about six minutes to get to the actual location, which was very close to my location when I received the call. Last night I had a pin location that looked like it was on the side of a major highway, when it was really only 1-2 minutes from my location when the call came in. This is intolerable! I feel like I need to call every passenger at the time the call comes in to ask for a physical location. There are many times when it is spot on, but I assume that is because the passenger entered the location manually. Any clue or tips on this problem?

If Uber actually cared about drivers there would be a prompt after the initial pax hail where the pax is prompted to enter a business name, for example, something that would automatically appear on the navigation screen. But this would require time and money so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Aimless

The way I see it my job is not to pick up the PAX. My job is to get to the pin (or as close as safely possible). Once I've arrived my job is to wait 5 minutes for the PAX to show up. If they show up then they get a ride. If not then I Cancel - No Show and they get a $5 cancellation fee.

You can't control misplaced pins, bad addresses or GPS errors. So don't make those issues your problem by trying to fix them.

Any extra effort is not going to be acknowledged or compensated and will only result in your own frustration.

Stygge

The way I see it my job is not to pick up the PAX. My job is to get to the pin (or as close as safely possible). Once I've arrived my job is to wait 5 minutes for the PAX to show up. If they show up then they get a ride. If not then I Cancel - No Show and they get a $5 cancellation fee.

You can't control misplaced pins, bad addresses or GPS errors. So don't make those issues your problem by trying to fix them.

Any extra effort is not going to be acknowledged or compensated and will only result in your own frustration.
I take pride in delivering happy riders to their destination. Sounds like you are burned out.

Kristr90

It used to happen to me when I first started driving, but hasn't happened in quite a while. You could always go to the pin and wait 5 minutes then cancel. I know it's annoying.

UberMeansSuper

If they are more than 3 minutes away from the pin drop (I don't care to hear their sob story about how the app is stupid and the GPS is wrong and yada-yada-yada... you could've moved the pin before requesting), I cancel.

If they're not out in 3 minutes, I leave. Here in Dallas, we have $0 cancellation fee. Since Uber has decided my time isn't worth anything, the pax can wait some more.

TriadUberGoober

It used to happen to me when I first started driving, but hasn't happened in quite a while. You could always go to the pin and wait 5 minutes then cancel. I know it's annoying.

I understand that technically one can argue that they are allowed to do that, but I would rather fulfill the obligation I feel to the rider. The last couple of fares with those faulty pin locations turned out to be good, long rides, so I'm glad I tracked them down. Would just like Uber to fix it. It would benefit everyone involved. What the heck is a "PAX"? I know it's a pickup, what why "PAX"?

Stygge

As expected the response I got from support is of no use at all. They blame the riders but I'm pretty sure experienced riders can at least place the pin on the right side of a busy highway.

Hi Stygge,

Thanks for reaching out and I appreciate letting us know.

I’m really sorry if there were pick up requests were so difficult. That’s not the experience we want our partners to have.

It happens when riders accidentally dropped the pin at an address they were not actually located near.

Uber engineers are working to improve the app to so we can minimize rider error. In the meantime, we're doing what we can to educate riders to make sure this doesn't happen as much in the future.

One tip that I’ve found helps partners is that the rider icon is more accurate than the address shown on the app. You can zoom into the application to see exactly where the rider is on the map. I recommend doing that when you're looking for the pick up location or having trouble connecting to the rider.

Again, sorry about the frustrating pick up. Please let me know if I can help further with this trip!

Zebonkey

They blame the riders but I'm pretty sure experienced riders can at least place the pin on the right side of a busy highway.
It could be pax fault, and quite often, but they need to uncouple their location service from gps. Even when the rider types in the address, when he presses "request" button, the pin shifts to a different location. Easy to fix, but they just don't care.

Oscar Levant

This is where taxi companies with live human dispatch system have the advantage. Software isn't perfect., and it looks like it is not going to be remedied soon. If you know the city real well, you'll know pretty much what a bogus addy is. For example, I got a trip at the 3200 block of Florida in San Diego, and I happen to know that Florida stops at the 3300 block, that plus the rider icon was in the middle of an adjacent park, about two blocks away. So, I send a text, if no immediate answer, I call, if no answer, I do a "no show" and move on. Many times, the addy given is on a major road where there are no residents or businesses, but there is an adjacent suburban residential community, so I know that the actually addy is on one of the nearby streets to the icon, so I text the rider. Sure, there are times when the addy I was given looks good, is good, but I wait, and the customer calls, and says they were at some biz establishment a mile away, that's when it gets fustrating. It got so bad that I just started sending texts to ALL of my riders (asking for an address confirmation ), only to get a message from Uber that I'm texting too much? Geee, you can't win sometimes.

tohunt4me

Sometimes a half mile or more away !

The WORST was during Mardi gras balls.

All of the society elite out.govt. officials, the wealthy, NOT GOOD TIME for app. Malfunctions.
The exact people you WANT to showcase Uber to and promote good publicity with !

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

If you do decide to chase down a rider who can't place a pin correctly, at least give their rating a hit at the end.

It doesn't accomplish much, but it's part of why I only take 4.7+ pax. Less chance of having to deal with idiots.

stuber

Mostly the GPS is accurate if people have the phone configured correctly. The main problem is that passengers are ALLOWED to set the pin. There should be ONLY be GPS set pins, or manually entered address. That would fix most of the problem.

steel108

If the surge isn't 2.5x, I cancel and collect my 5. I really hope you aren't doing this for a standard fare. There's a sucker born every minute I guess.

Adieu

As expected the response I got from support is of no use at all. They blame the riders but I'm pretty sure experienced riders can at least place the pin on the right side of a busy highway.

Hi Stygge,

Thanks for reaching out and I appreciate letting us know.

I’m really sorry if there were pick up requests were so difficult. That’s not the experience we want our partners to have.

It happens when riders accidentally dropped the pin at an address they were not actually located near.

Uber engineers are working to improve the app to so we can minimize rider error. In the meantime, we're doing what we can to educate riders to make sure this doesn't happen as much in the future.

One tip that I’ve found helps partners is that the rider icon is more accurate than the address shown on the app. You can zoom into the application to see exactly where the rider is on the map. I recommend doing that when you're looking for the pick up location or having trouble connecting to the rider.

Again, sorry about the frustrating pick up. Please let me know if I can help further with this trip!

BULLSHIT.

pax use wifi on phone to book =>> pin shows their WIFI router somewhere while they wait on street or actually even sit in your car

worse with at&t, coffeeshop, hotel etc public wifi

Stygge

BULLSHIT.

pax use wifi on phone to book =>> pin shows their WIFI router somewhere while they wait on street or actually even sit in your car

worse with at&t, coffeeshop, hotel etc public wifi
You need to wash your mouth with soap!

And actually you're entirely wrong in this case.