• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Entitled Cyclist Hogs the Road

xgamrgeekx

The driver was right, the arrogant bicycle weird-0 was in the wrong. This comes from someone who rides a bicycle daily.
Pretty sure it depends on certain factors, depending on local laws. I do see signs on some streets that don't have official bike lanes that read bicycles may use full lane. However, I think it's common sense/courtesy, that the biker move over to the side further to allow automobile traffic to pass him/her safely. Seriously, we're all human, we all pay for those roads in some way, let's share!

Now bring the flames :cool:

ECOMCON

Your Fault
His Fault
Nobody’s Fault

Hit a bicyclist and you’ll get jammed up
in the system.
The ride of your life

U think CheckR won’t report to uber
Guess what uber will do....
Your insurance co will do...
Future employment in ground transportation prospects....

MacAngus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure it depends on certain factors, depending on local laws. I do see signs on some streets that don't have official bike lanes that read bicycles may use full lane. However, I think it's common sense/courtesy, that the biker move over to the side further to allow automobile traffic to pass him/her safely. Seriously, we're all human, we all pay for those roads in some way, let's share!

Now bring the flames :cool:
Here in Tampa we have plenty of cyclists and some roads designated with bike lanes. But I've never seen a sign here that says "bicycles may use full lanes". Cyclists usually stay on the side to allow cars to go by. First time I've seen one hog the road like this. First time I see a cyclist without a helmet too. Actually, at the beginning, he was already in a tizzy with the SUV for having crossed the highway in front of him without ceding the way. They were already hot headed before I got there. Then he decides to get right in front of me too. And no, I didn't almost hit him. Not even close.

The driver was right, the arrogant bicycle weird-0 was in the wrong. This comes from someone who rides a bicycle daily.
I'm a cyclist too. And I teach the kids safety on bikes. You are no match for a moving car.

RDWRER

The bicyclist appeared to do everything correct, which is a rarity from my experience. Bicycles are vehicles that must operate like all other vehicles unless there is law specific to the location that deems them to operate in a different manner. The most common is restricting bicycles to “bicycle lanes”, requiring the use of “bicycle paths” and the strict disallowance of bicycles on high speed roadways such as freeways. In continuation of this fact they must also adhere to all traffic control devices, including stop signs, which is frequently ignored by a sizable portion of the the bicycle riding populace.

Although the driver of the car in the video claims that “there is no bike riding ... in the middle of the road like that” there is not noticeable signage that suggests this statement is factually codified into law or is policy if on private property. Now if it is expressly forbidden then the bicycle rider is in the wrong but if it is not forbidden then he is in the right.

MacAngus

The bicyclist appeared to do everything correct, which is a rarity from my experience. ... the strict disallowance of bicycles on high speed roadways such as freeways.
Yet he crossed a major highway?

Although the driver of the car in the video claims that “there is no bike riding ... in the middle of the road like that”
Where is that quote?

RDWRER

Yet he crossed a major highway?

Where is that quote?
48 seconds “there is no bicycle riding”

1 minute 6 seconds “You can’t just be riding in the middle of the road like that”

If it’s legal to ride on the street in question and that street crosses a major highway than it is legal to cross that highway unless it is expressly illegal. He is not turning onto the major highway only following the side street which happens to intersect with it. Usually this is avoided by making bicycle paths and bridges or tunnels to stay out of traffic and expressly forbidding bicycles on the roads that intersect with the highway but again I do not know the specific laws of the areas around where that video was taken. I only can infer from what I both do and do not see in it and I do not see any signage expressly forbidding bicycles. It may however be codified that bicycles are not allowed on streets that have a certain speed limit but I also do not see the speed limit of the street either.

MacAngus

48 seconds “there is no bicycle riding”

1 minute 6 seconds “You can’t just be riding in the middle of the road like that”

If it’s legal to ride on the street in question and that street crosses a major highway than it is legal to cross that highway unless it is expressly illegal. He is not turning onto the major highway only following the side street which happens to intersect with it. Usually this is avoided by making bicycle paths and bridges or tunnels to stay out of traffic and expressly forbidding bicycles on the roads that intersect with the highway but again I do not know the specific laws of the areas around where that video was taken. I only can infer from what I both do and do not see in it and I do not see any signage expressly forbidding bicycles. It may however be codified that bicycles are not allowed on streets that have a certain speed limit but I also do not see the speed limit of the street either.
https://www.floridafreewheelers.com/index.php/information/bike-laws
How to Lawfully Share the Roadway with Cars and Other Vehicles
While bicycles are generally considered vehicles just like cars, some special rules do apply for everyone’s mutual safety. Consider the following provisions:

• Bikers must ride as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. Exceptions exist in a few circumstances: when passing, when making a left turn, when necessary to avoid road hazards, when travelling the same speed as all the other traffic, or when a lane is too narrow to safely share with a car.
  • A further caveat to the rule stated above applies when you’re on a one-way street that has at least two lanes. In that case, the bicycle may ride as close to the left-hand edge of the roadway as possible instead.
  • If riding two abreast, riders must stay within a single lane. They must also avoid impeding traffic.
  • Riding more than two abreast is never allowed except for on paths or parts of roadways that are exclusively designated for bicycle use.
Florida law re: highways and bikes
[§316.091] No person shall operate a bicycle on a limited access facility, except as otherwise provided. No person shall operate a bicycle on an interstate highway.

Last edited:

RDWRER

https://www.floridafreewheelers.com/index.php/information/bike-laws
How to Lawfully Share the Roadway with Cars and Other Vehicles
While bicycles are generally considered vehicles just like cars, some special rules do apply for everyone’s mutual safety. Consider the following provisions:

• Bikers must ride as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. Exceptions exist in a few circumstances: when passing, when making a left turn, when necessary to avoid road hazards, when travelling the same speed as all the other traffic, or when a lane is too narrow to safely share with a car.
  • A further caveat to the rule stated above applies when you’re on a one-way street that has at least two lanes. In that case, the bicycle may ride as close to the left-hand edge of the roadway as possible instead.
  • If riding two abreast, riders must stay within a single lane. They must also avoid impeding traffic.
  • Riding more than two abreast is never allowed except for on paths or parts of roadways that are exclusively designated for bicycle use.
Okay, that doesn’t seem to invalidate his actions then. When encountered he is riding in the left lane which very quickly becomes a tight one lane roadway which also appears to be a left turn lane, as indicated by the turning signal the driver activated before proceeding. All that is expressly allowed by what has been quoted here.

MacAngus

Okay, that doesn’t seem to invalidate his actions then. When encountered he is riding in the left lane which very quickly becomes a tight one lane roadway which also appears to be a left turn lane, as indicated by the turning signal the driver activated before proceeding. All that is expressly allowed by what has been quoted here.
"seem"? We'd have to disagree on that. What about impersonating an officer?

but again I do not know the specific laws of the areas around where that video was taken
Right, so you can't just make up your own laws.

RDWRER

"seem"? We'd have to disagree on that. What about impersonating an officer?

Right, so you can't just make up your own laws.
Impersonating an Officer is impersonating an Officer. Neither you nor I know if he really was a member of law enforcement and just couldn’t bother to stick around. Maybe he meant what he said but simply didn’t have his ticket book with him considering he was off duty. Also plainclothesman is a thing but unlikely in this scenario. It’s also possible he is a civilian employed by the City/State and is empowered to issue citations without expressly being a member of law enforcement, but again we don’t know.

As to “making up laws” that’s what the driver of the vehicle appears to have done. Again a bicycle is a vehicle and unless expressly forbidden any vehicle may be operated on any roadway.

Scooters are a perfect example. Right now in California scooters are legal to ride on any street in California.

EXCEPT if the driver does not have a license.

EXCEPT if the driver is a minor without a helmet.

EXCEPT if it drives faster than 15 miles per hour.

EXCEPT if the street has a speed limit faster than 35 miles per hour.

EXCEPT if the driver is not in a roadway designated for bicycles, either in a specific lane or operating in any lane on a specified bicycle path.
An EXCEPTION to this EXCEPTION is it is not allowed on bicycle paths that go off the roadway onto sidewalks or offroad.
An EXCEPTION to this EXCEPTION of an EXCEPTION is it is allowed on sidewalks to enter or exit a private establishment.

And I think that’s it, all off of memory. But as you can see the law doesn’t generally make things legal, it expressly make things illegal. It tells you what you can’t do and generally speaking everything else is what you can do.

Last edited:

MacAngus

Impersonating an Officer is impersonating an Officer. Neither you nor I know if he really was a member of law enforcement and just couldn’t bother to stick around. Maybe he meant what he said but simply didn’t have his ticket book with him considering he was off duty. Also plainclothesman is a thing but unlikely in this scenario. It’s also possible he is a civilian employed by the City/State and is empowered to issue citations without expressly being a member of law enforcement, but again we don’t know.

As to “making up laws” that’s what the driver of the vehicle appears to have done. Again a bicycle is a vehicle and unless expressly forbidden any vehicle may be operated on any roadway.

Scooters are a perfect example. Right now in California scooters are legal to ride on any street in California.

EXCEPT if the driver does not have a license.

EXCEPT if the driver is a minor without a helmet.

EXCEPT if it drives faster than 15 miles per hour.

EXCEPT if the street has a speed limit faster than 35 miles per hour.

EXCEPT if the driver is not in a roadway designated for bicycles, either in a specific lane or operating in any lane on a specified bicycle path.
And EXCEPTION to this EXCEPTION is it is not allowed on bicycle paths that go off the roadway onto sidewalks or offroad.
An EXCEPTION to this EXCEPTION of an EXCEPTION is it is allowed on sidewalks to enter or exit a private establishment.

And I think that’s it, all off of memory. But as you can see the law doesn’t generally make things legal, it expressly make things illegal. It tells you what you can’t do and generally speaking everything else is what you can do.
This ain't California. Actually, I lived in Los Angeles for 35 years. Even there cyclists have the basic common courtesy to ride on the side of the road. There will always be a few exceptions. And quoting the law ain't "making up laws." Like I said, this is the first time I've encountered someone deciding to hog the road like that. No doubt he was in a tiff on account of the SUV prior to me. But that doesn't entitle him to block another car. As for "impersonating an officer" that is a serious offense. Notice how he backed away as soon as I pointed to my dashcam? That is serious! Look, at the end of the day it's about common courtesy on the road. We all share!

MacAngus

Except you, apparently...

Obviously you didn’t want an actual discussion you just wanted other people to validate your actions.

Have a good day, sir.
You came out attacking me from the beginning. I can defend myself. It's a free internet. Have a nice day too.

RDWRER

You came out attacking me from the beginning. I can defend myself. It's a free internet. Have a nice day too.
I did not attack you. I defended the bicyclist and the absolute only comment I made regarding the driver was noting that there was no signage to corroborate the statement quoted.

You in fact attacked me by claiming I was “making up laws” when I never suggested a law was even in place and when you have yet to prove that you have not done that yourself.

MacAngus

I did not attack you. I defended the bicyclist and the absolute only comment I made regarding the driver was noting that there was no signage to corroborate the statement quoted.

You in fact attacked me by claiming I was “making up laws” when I never suggested a law was even in place and when you have yet to prove that you have not done that yourself.
This is going nowhere fast. Have a nice day.