Enforcement Tips for MISS. Drivers

UberxGTA

Driver tips for picking up pax in Mississauga during anticipated enforcement :
Drive at night; bylaw officers probably dont work at that time.
Don't pickup 5* pax; could be new account created for enforcement purposes.
Don't pickup from public areas like Mcds, tim hortons etc...residential should be ok
Call the rider...
When in doubt cancel.

Any more tips out there?

ps.Ask them if they are a bylaw officer and that the ride is being recorded....see if that helps...lol

Last edited:

Judgeetox

If you are approached by a by-law officer (who is NOT accompanied by a police officer), best to say nothing and drive away. Bylaw enforcement officials do not have authority to detain or hinder your business.

ladydriven

Mississauga has 9 bylaw officers dedicated to vehicle enforcement. Police have made it clear they do not have the staff to get involved in this. They use mostly sting operations but will work nights and weekends. They will use residential addresses, apartment buildings and public places. Expect them to step up enforcement and maybe hire more officers. It looks like they are looking at an injunction against Uber drivers and have studied the Calgary one because its the only successful injunction so far in Canada, its was against the drivers as opposed to uber the company.

Salman

How much is the bylaw ticket?
I dont think that bylaw officers will create uber account to crack down the uber driver. If they do their account will be deactivated right after driver report. Also they need to put a credit card info. Are they gonna use their own personal credit card info for the enforcement job? I dont think so.

UberxGTA

I dont think that bylaw officers will create uber account to crack down the uber driver. If they do their account will be deactivated right after driver report. Also they need to put a credit card info. Are they gonna use their own personal credit card info for the enforcement job? I dont think so.
This is exactly why it is so hard to enforce supposed bylaws regarding uber.

ladydriven

I know they sure did in Calgary, in Ottawa and a few other places, why not the city issues credit cards to its employees for business purposes, all they need is for employees to create a fake account. He takes say 50 rides recording all the drivers info and they later go back and charge all the drivers. so it gets deactivated. Some 200 charges have already been laid but the fine was only $240.00 first offence second is $366.00. But newpaper is quoting drivers maximum fine to be $25,000. and company fine $50,000 per offence. City claims they will enforce it so remains to be seen what they do. Face it a few max fines to a few drivers and that's all it would take. It would take forever in court but would scare drivers off if they thought they had that kind of fine pending.

Last edited:

Uberchampion

Visa debit cards. Its quite easy actually

Catching uber drivers is going to be big revenue for mississaugas coffers. I wouldn't be surprised if they did blitzes to catch as many drivers as possible and then used the outstanding fines as leverage when they negotiate legalizing uber in the future.

Mississauga drivers - if you get busted please post it right away so your fellow drivers know to stay away from the area. You may get infractions in the mail. If so. ..post it

Andy3131

Can I just decline picking up passengers in Toronto with a destination to Mississauga? Uber is basically forcing me to do illegal transportation.

Slavic Riga

I know they sure did in Calgary, in Ottawa and a few other places, why not the city issues credit cards to its employees for business purposes, all they need is for employees to create a fake account. He takes say 50 rides recording all the drivers info and they later go back and charge all the drivers. so it gets deactivated. Some 200 charges have already been laid but the fine was only $240.00 first offence second is $366.00. But newpaper is quoting drivers maximum fine to be $25,000. and company fine $50,000 per offence. City claims they will enforce it so remains to be seen what they do. Face it a few max fines to a few drivers and that's all it would take. It would take forever in court but would scare drivers off if they thought they had that kind of fine pending.
If driver defaults in paying the fine & your registration comes up for renewal. Will have to pay the fine before renewal sticker is issued. Same with Driving License.
I am not sure of this rule which went into effect in January 2014. Whether it applies to Toronto City only & to Parking infractions.
"The city will be able to tow your vehicle if you have three undisputed, unpaid tickets on your record and a fourth is being issued".

onelanka

the problem is that it takes about a month from the time the bylaw inspector gets in to your car to the time you get the ticket. I already got a summons on March 18th, 2016 for a ride I did around Feb 18th. Picked up brown guy outside second cup at Hurontario/Eglinton and took him to an office in Dixie/Dundas. A**hole pretended to be a consultant....

PoorBasterd

the problem is that it takes about a month from the time the bylaw inspector gets in to your car to the time you get the ticket. I already got a summons on March 18th, 2016 for a ride I did around Feb 18th. Picked up brown guy outside second cup at Hurontario/Eglinton and took him to an office in Dixie/Dundas. A**hole pretended to be a consultant....
What day and time?

Slavic Riga

Can you not fight it? If it was March 18, 2016, what was the outcome of the summons?
Yes. The city have limited by-law officers. When a ride is requested, the details of the car & driver that has given the person the ride from origin to destination can be found in the Trip History. That's where the problem is, with the hand held device being computerized, a ticket can be issued & mailed. No way of mentioning who the rider was because you don't have the persons name. We will & have also encountered riders that are not the Account Holder. Its going to be difficult & challenging operating in & around Mississauga.
Best of Luck to all.

Retox

If I understood correctly, you did not know he was an undercover by-law until you actually got the ticket (in the mail?) If so, that's messed up.

UberRiderTO

Can I just decline picking up passengers in Toronto with a destination to Mississauga? Uber is basically forcing me to do illegal transportation.

I thought it was the pickup point that mattered. It's the next ride that you may pickup in Mississauga that could give you trouble.

Hannibalb

Its the Sauga pickup thats the problem right? They dont care if you're just dropping off there do they?

clearport

Not sure how they can give you a ticket through the mail. How does that ticket tie you to the alleged offense. I know your information is there on the receipt BUT that's not proof you were driving.

Can they physically prove it was actually you who was driving them that fateful day?

When a police officer give you a ticket for speeding they first asks for your license, tying to the offense. But your saying this ticket will be mailed out to you instead?

Last time I checked you can damn well have your grandpa in his Buick Regal with your Uber account. His you the Uber driver for the night. Knowing these undercovers they'd probably just hop in thinking another one bites the dust.

My lawyer will have a field day with this peekaboo offense while his on vacation.

Last edited:

Uberchampion

If UBER isn't fighting this one for you I suggest we all stop pickups in Sauga. They are providing pings to Pax in that area even though Missiauga has "banned" them.

onelanka - ease call uber and ask them to take care of this. It's their fight to have, not yours.

ladydriven

Not sure how they can give you a ticket through the mail. How does that ticket tie you to the alleged offense. I know your information is there on the receipt BUT "I lost my phone that day your honor and do not recall driving this guy"

Can they physically prove it was actually you who was driving them that fateful day?

When a police officer give you a ticket for speeding they first asks for your license, tying to the offense. But your saying this ticket will be mailed out to you instead?

Last time I checked you can damn well have your grandpa in his Buick Regal with your Uber account. His you the Uber driver for the night. Knowing these undercovers they'd probably just hop in thinking another one bites the dust.

My lawyer will have a field day with this peekaboo offense while his on vacation.
Have you never been to court on a ticket, even Uber is going to swear it was you driving otherwise they have even bigger problems like they have no idea who is driving for them. Is it worth it to you to take the time and fight it for $240.00 and pay a lawyer? What about photo radar tickets they just come in the mail, good luck fighting them. Its a matter of time before Toronto gets photo radar as its a huge cash cow for the city and the mayor is asking for it. You really think the judge is going to believe you over a sworn officer of the court. Not likely.All he has to do is show up and your fried.

Andy3131

If driver defaults in paying the fine & your registration comes up for renewal. Will have to pay the fine before renewal sticker is issued. Same with Driving License.
I am not sure of this rule which went into effect in January 2014. Whether it applies to Toronto City only & to Parking infractions.
"The city will be able to tow your vehicle if you have three undisputed, unpaid tickets on your record and a fourth is being issued".
If you appeal the ticket, you are not guilty before it is proven so I doubt you have to pay it.

Andy3131

If UBER isn't fighting this one for you I suggest we all stop pickups in Sauga. They are providing pings to Pax in that area even though Missiauga has "banned" them.

onelanka - ease call uber and ask them to take care of this. It's their fight to have, not yours.
I am stopping pickups in Sauga anyways.