Endless repeating support cycle? (Need help)

dmath872

Hi all,

First post here. A few nights ago (Monday, after midnight) I accidentally tried to cash out after activating my new debit card at an atm... causing Uber’s system to flag me for a phishing attempt. At first, I think little of it. A message tells me I’m blocked from editing account info for the next 6 hours, and I go to bed, planning to sort it in the morning.

I wake up, a few hours after the 6 hours would have been up. I try to update my card on my phone, and am given another error message. Effectively “unable to edit card information at this time.”

Annoyed, I call support, who after the full explanation of the situation, tells me to wait another 30 mins, and that it will be resolved then. I wait, I try again, it doesn’t work, I call back. This cycle continued so many times I don’t actually know how many.

Now I’m at a spot where I thought I had gotten through. An Uber support told me she was referring me to a specialized team, who would be in contact with me soon. I wait a couple hours, happy with the fact that I appeared to have made some small progress... and then I get another email. This one tells me to wait another 48 hours... about 48 hours after the incident began.

So now I’m afraid I’ll yet again wait the 48 hours, and yet again be denied the ability to change my card, and then I’ll call support, and be given some arbitrary wait period.

Maybe someone here can help in some small way? Uber apparently cannot.

dmath872

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now, I will have two options at the end of the 48 hours:

1. Cash out — this option is useless, as the card Uber has on file is no longer valid (Card A).

2. Update card info to use Card B — this option seems to trigger the account for phishing scams each time I have waited X hours to try again. I’m fairly confident it will happen again.

So I ask, how many times would you repeat this cycle? I have received about 10 different emails from different Uber support giving me different time frames for when to try again. They just can’t understand that I have somehow broken the system and need human intervention.

SuzeCB

Hi all,

First post here. A few nights ago (Monday, after midnight) I accidentally tried to cash out after activating my new debit card at an atm... causing Uber’s system to flag me for a phishing attempt. At first, I think little of it. A message tells me I’m blocked from editing account info for the next 6 hours, and I go to bed, planning to sort it in the morning.

I wake up, a few hours after the 6 hours would have been up. I try to update my card on my phone, and am given another error message. Effectively “unable to edit card information at this time.”

Annoyed, I call support, who after the full explanation of the situation, tells me to wait another 30 mins, and that it will be resolved then. I wait, I try again, it doesn’t work, I call back. This cycle continued so many times I don’t actually know how many.

Now I’m at a spot where I thought I had gotten through. An Uber support told me she was referring me to a specialized team, who would be in contact with me soon. I wait a couple hours, happy with the fact that I appeared to have made some small progress... and then I get another email. This one tells me to wait another 48 hours... about 48 hours after the incident began.

So now I’m afraid I’ll yet again wait the 48 hours, and yet again be denied the ability to change my card, and then I’ll call support, and be given some arbitrary wait period.

Maybe someone here can help in some small way? Uber apparently cannot.
Go to a GLH.

Hi all,

Ok, let's get specific. At what point in time did you attempt to edit your card? You never stated when.

You simply stated you tried cashing out after activating a new debit card.

If you can not cash out to an old card because you activated a new one and the old one isn't active anymore it will send the money to your bank account on file after the next business day you so should get it in a couple days. I'm not sure why you're getting a "cashout option disabled" message since you didn't state that you actually have attempted to try to edit your account info yet.

However, whenever you edit your info it will disable cashout for 48 hours after that point.

dmath872

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I think I didn’t tell the story that well. I went to the GLH and they got it resolved in 5 minutes lol... I really feel bad for drivers in situations like mine without these in their city.

So, thank you @SuzeCB for the tip. I had probably read the term “green light hub” in the past but wasn’t aware what they were actually for. Now I understand lol.

Edit: come to think of it, why didn’t the Uber phone support people refer me to green light hubs? Actually makes zero sense I would need to be referred to this service, which was clearly exactly what I needed to do, by an independent third party.

Last edited:

Mista T

Author
It has become very clear over the years that Support people are compensated based on how many issues are "Resolved".

Getting you to go away for 48 hours counts as RESOLVED.

SuzeCB

Yeah I think I didn’t tell the story that well. I went to the GLH and they got it resolved in 5 minutes lol... I really feel bad for drivers in situations like mine without these in their city.

So, thank you @SuzeCB for the tip. I had probably read the term “green light hub” in the past but wasn’t aware what they were actually for. Now I understand lol.

Edit: come to think of it, why didn’t the Uber phone support people refer me to green light hubs? Actually makes zero sense I would need to be referred to this service, which was clearly exactly what I needed to do, by an independent third party.
Because phone/in-app/email support is provided by call centers in India and The Philippines. They are not Uber employees. They are separate companies that hire people to respond from a script. They get paid per call/email/in-app communication they engage in. They claim something is "resolved" because if they do, the next time you contact them over the issue, they get to charge Uber a little more. It's how call centers longhaul or shuffle.

Make sense now?

I used to make the initial contact over the phone, so that when they'd ask if they had successfully resolved my issue, I could say "no" and then make a note (real, handwritten for myself). When my list was long enough or pressing enough, I'd go to the local GLH or "Pop-Up Hub" (in a Sprint store and only available one day a week) and address everything all at once. I'd also have them go through any downrates I'd received to see if any were unsubstantiated, conditions out of my control, from a pax that downrates a lot or systemstically, or possibly retaliatory (pax gives the rating after getting hit with a cleaning fee, etc.). I drove in areas where many wouldn't during the week. Ghetto. The hard-working legit people there and the criminals actually tip. The hood rats'll really hit your ratings, though. They do it to feel powerful. They ferl like life craps on them so they crap on others. I didn't sweat it, because i knew how to get rid of it.