End of the SHORT Rides? BIRD eSCOOTERS coming to Toronto

Karl Marx

These scooters are a menace, I was at the U of Michigan last year and I had to dodge these crazies while walking from building to building. People would just dump these scooters in the middle of the sidewalks, can't wait until we have to avoid these scooters on the streets of Toronto.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These scooters are a menace, I was at the U of Michigan last year and I had to dodge these crazies while walking from building to building. People would just dump these scooters in the middle of the sidewalks, can't wait until we have to avoid these scooters on the streets of Toronto.
I agree. It's an etiquette issue. I'm not sure how to deal with that. Same as PaxHoles.

Uberchampion

We saw the same thing in DC last year. They were all over the sidewalks blocking pedestrian walkways and some were even left on the curb.

Ahmado

The only solution is to remove street cars and run bus at king street

But it's better to keep street cars for heritage/environment and uber business

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you take 'track construction' out of the equation. Street Cars are VASTLY more energy efficient than the Diesel (or even Hybrid) Busses. Steel wheels on track is by far the most energy efficient transportation method on earth (outside of a sail boat or canoe).
There are MANY EV Busses about to go into service in Toronto though.
Currently there is a single EV Bus running the 35 Jane route from Bloor to Steeles on Jane St.

Ahmado

If you take 'track construction' out of the equation. Street Cars are VASTLY more energy efficient than the Diesel (or even Hybrid) Busses. Steel wheels on track is by far the most energy efficient transportation method on earth (outside of a sail boat or canoe).
There are MANY EV Busses about to go into service in Toronto though.
Currently there is a single EV Bus running the 35 Jane route from Bloor to Steeles on Jane St.
It would be efficient on a seperate lane
Or seperate bus lane like Mississauga project, not like highway 7 bus slow lane!!

citytypeofguy

There was a whole piece on VICE about how these scooter companies are 10x worse ethically than Uber.

The people they pay to go and round up these scooters at night are so screwed over.
I’m gunna be charging those things up!! Looks like fun

Rockydrive

I was in Montreal last week and Uber started Jump E-scooter thingy in Montreal.I was in an Uber and the driver was aware of this and had already contacted Uber regarding their “Time specific” contract of picking up bikes, taking them to charging stations and taking the new ones out and dropping them at specific docks around the city. An hourly commission of 20$ If the driver completes a certain number of scooters(probably 10scooters)Sound like a good plan. It’s just like Car2go attendants roaming around in big vans collecting cars. I would sign up for that if Uber brings Jump and bird Canada pops up in Toronto. I might as well collect scooters than crappy Paxholes.