• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

EMT moving to Seattle March 1. Approved for xchange leasing. Questions about getting started!

wambulance

-------------------------------------------TLDR; how hard is it (how many hours monthly) to pay off a Prius C leased through uber xchange in Seattle working part time? And am I likely to make any money on top of this?
-------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am an EMT who is moving to Seattle March 1 to take a new job running 911 calls in Seattle. Since I will be making barely over minimum wage and need a car to commute to and from work, I signed up for uber xchange on a whim to see if they would offer me a lease on a new car. Surprise, got approved for up to 20,000 yesterday! I have searched the forums here for answers, but I still have a lot of questions about how to get started and I am hoping that I can learn from all of your experience.

1. I understand that xchange may not be a good deal for everyone. But for a person in my position, it looks like it could be a good option: I have poor credit due to medical loans, don't have the capital to make a large down payment on a car myself, can't afford costly monthly leases (surprise - EMTs make barely over minimum wage to respond to emergencies all day/night) and need a car as soon as I move there to commute to and from work. My grandfather died last year and left behind a 2007 Camry in New Jersey for me, but I don't know if it would be more expensive to get it brought out here and then pay maintenance and gas on a 2007 car. I'm assuming it would cost a lost more than $250 to have it brought to Seattle before I start!

2. I like the Prius C a lot! Is the 20k they offer enough to score one? I know they start around 19k but the dealers near Seattle seem to start them at 21k.

3. Is the Prius C a good choice for uber xchange?

4. As an EMT I will be working twelve hour shifts in Seattle. This means something like 4 days on one week, 3 on the next. This seems like it would be conducive to at least paying off the car every month, but what are people paying weekly for Prius C's under the exchange and how many hours, on average, should I expect to put in weekly to at least pay for the car plus insurance?

5. What ride share insurance policy do Seattle drivers recommend, and how much is it likely to cost per month to pay for the car, the insurance, and gas when driving part time?

6. What happens to an xchange driver (and more importantly, their car) if they get bad ratings? Do you lose the car?

7. To those of you driving xchange part time in Seattle, are you happy with your decision? How many hours do you budget weekly or monthly to pay off the car and how much do you generally make on top of that?

8. Lastly, I will be living in the University District. Is that a decent area for picking up fares and making $$?

Thank you all so much for your help! My apologies if some of these are already answered elsewhere. I may have missed some threads in my search but am still getting used to the site layout.

Thanks for the help everyone! Your input is greatly appreciated!

- wambulance

Skinny1

It's flooded with drivers here, those days u have off may be slow. Good luck.

To me it's like night and day. Before the new year back to back pings were no problem....now look at the app from pax side. Ask yourself why you will make the $$. I know I know some here say they work smart etc..

tipster98122

-------------------------------------------TLDR; how hard is it (how many hours monthly) to pay off a Prius C leased through uber xchange in Seattle working part time? And am I likely to make any money on top of this?
-------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am an EMT who is moving to Seattle March 1 to take a new job running 911 calls in Seattle. Since I will be making barely over minimum wage and need a car to commute to and from work, I signed up for uber xchange on a whim to see if they would offer me a lease on a new car. Surprise, got approved for up to 20,000 yesterday! I have searched the forums here for answers, but I still have a lot of questions about how to get started and I am hoping that I can learn from all of your experience.

Thanks for the help everyone! Your input is greatly appreciated!

- wambulance
Hey wambulance.

I'm going to go a different route here and post some thoughts/questions which, I hope, might help frame your decision-making about car ownership and driving for Uber/Lyft.

Probably the best question to ask yourself is if you even need to own/or have a car at this time? The answer to this may help in answering all your other questions.

Many people are foregoing car ownership in cities these days because there are lots of cheap Uber/Lyft cars available at all times of the day or night to take you wherever you need to go. This is in addition to the usual options of cabs, buses, rideshare bikes and, soon, light rail at the campus stadium--all of which you'll likely have very good access to based on where you'll be living in the U-district.

If your heart is set on owning a car here it might be a good exercise to list out all your expenses of owning a car. Then, add in the extra expenses of also driving for Uber/Lyft. Everyone's situation is different, of course, but most of the responses I've seen in this forum re: leasing a car through Uber report it's not a good deal at all for a whole bunch of reasons too numerous to mention here. I've often seen it described like sharecropping. Understand that concept and you'll have a good idea of what leasing a car through Uber will entail.

Based on what your situation is and the landscape of what it takes to own a car in Seattle it might be more advantageous and profitable at this time of your life to forego all the expenses of car ownership and the many hassles and unfulfilled earnings promises many drivers experience being an Uber/Lyft driver. (Please refer to the many, many posts in this forum to see all sides of this).

Maybe it's better to get settled in both your new job and in the city and go find a part-time gig in a bar, restaurant, coffee shop or grocery store somewhere?? You'll be making a decent minimum wage(increasing in the next couple years to $15/hr), you'll often get tips(Uber does not allow tipping), maybe you'll have some benefits(sick or vacation pay/food discount/employee meal), and you'll meet a lot more people and create better connections than carting people around for pennies on the dollar.

Going this route will give you the space and time, in the short term, to really assess this whole car ownership/driving-people-around thing without having the burden of extra debt and the equal amount of responsibility and headache that will be associated with paying that debt.

Good luck and welcome to Seattle and the forum.

Last edited:

Skinny1

Tipster is spot on, no car get another side gig that pays and go from there. Many do the no car thing here in Seattle.

Reactions: JJS

JJS

Don't go into debt. Drive the Camry. Then drive work smarter not harder. The market is flooded and best to keep the expenses low. Go with Lyft. Better pax.

Dammit Mazzacane

I agree with JJS. Use the Camry -- it is "fully paid off" and will be fully functional for what you need. In all honesty depending on mileage you could consider running it into the ground while considering whether to Uber/Lyft more often. Drive the Camry here from Jersey if possible.

Do not experiment with an Uber XChange deal. And, an Über Exchange lease setup will end up eating your bottom line and if you will be part-time driving, that Prius might put you underwater for its ROI for its purpose of driving Uber/Lyft.

A typical night of off-peak driving nets approximately $120 max (net, not gross) and puts approximately 100 to 150 new miles on the car, from my experience.If the
Compare the monthly leasing cost to the net income you might get times the number of days (even hours) a month you might drive. I suspect the math will cause a serious re-evaluation about an Uber Xchange or any lease or payment plan vehicle.

Uber Fish

Is a shame EMT make so little n must be in this position to work other gig. Doesn't make sense as u do so much for the community.

Can't say much about uber in seattle as I'm new here and waiting for my background check to clear and start, but I live in university area n really like it.

Dammit Mazzacane

Can't say much about uber in seattle as I'm new here and waiting for my background check to clear and start, but I live in university area n really like it.
You'll get lots of short trips but a consistent stream of riders if you hang out in the university area at night.